Defensive Carry banner

Considering OWB carry

2K views 24 replies 21 participants last post by  Fred 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been doing IWB carry while alternating my 1911 and G19 for about 4 years now. Although, I'm comfortable with IWB, is OWB is more comfortable day to day?

The only reason I ask is because I just recently purchased a Sig p239 .40 that included a Kirkpatrick OWB holster. I want the Sig to be my EDC, but not sure if OWB is the way to go yet. Should I just get another IWB holster to carry since I'm used to it, or give OWB a chance and see how well it works?

I wear untucked button down shirts every day (work or otherwise) to cover my EDC. So, dress shouldn't be an issue.

#2 ·
Only you can determine the degree of comfort and the dress you require.

Yes, OWB is more comfortable for many of us. I almost never carry IWB, as I am almost always wearing a cover garment. It may be a shirt with the tail out or a coat or suit.

Give the OWB a chance. It won't cost anything since you already have a holster.

Regards,
Jerry

#6 ·
I'm so used to IWB that I feel strange any other way. It takes time to get used to carrying IWB, and it is much easier to conceal. I'd suggest that if you're comfy with it, stick with it.

#9 ·
I'm so used to IWB that I feel strange any other way. It takes time to get used to carrying IWB, and it is much easier to conceal. I'd suggest that if you're comfy with it, stick with it.
Same here...:yup:. I only have a few OWB holsters and the last time I used one was for a class.
IWB has become so natural for me that I can't bring myself to try OWB for daily use.
OMO

#10 ·
If dress is not a problem give OWB a try. I carry OWB almost 100% of the time and have for a long long time. I'm a tad over 60 and have earned the right to wear what I want, so an untucked shirt or a jacket ( I still wear jackets and ties at restaurants once in a while.LOL )
It is now second nature and with a good (gun) belt my holstered pistols are comfortable and have become a part of me and my daily life. From chunky revolvers and slim auto's to the old slab sided .45's I have never been made.

But that is just my experience and my choice. Do what is the best for you so that you DO IT ALWAYS-WITHOUT THINKING ABOUT IT. A handgun left behind due to comfort problems may just become part of you estate.

bosco

#11 ·
OK...I'll be the fly in the ointment here. I carry OWB every day.
It's very much more comfortable for me.
It is more important to have a good stiff gun belt when carrying OWB than IWB.
Try an OWB carry location behind the hip and not directly at 3:00.
You might as well opt for trying OWB as long as you're wearing a shirt untucked anyway.
OWB holsters that cant (AKA tilt) the gun forward partially Butt Up work best for me for behind the hip carry.
I carry either a full size 220 or Combat Commander OWB just under an oversize T-Shirt. Your holster needs to be well designed to pull the gun in tight.
You also may have to play "Musical Belt Loops" in order to get your OWB holster positioned exactly where you want it.
If you do that then you don't have to actually skip any belt loops.
Good luck!

#12 ·
I think OWB is more comfortable also for a 12 hour + day carry at the 4 o'clock position. Your belt is very important to enable you to do this well by pulling the gun tight.

The funny thing is I carry more OWB in the summer than winter based on my cover garments are longer in the summer compared to sweaters in the winter. :yup:

#13 ·
Carrying OWB right now. If trying to conceal OWB, then a high quality belt like the Belt Man and a good high close to the body holster is a must. The nice thing about OWB is the many chioces in holster. I have a Mitch Rosen - but I am going to order a US High Ride from Rusty Sherrick. I love my Crossbreed IWB, but OWB is easier and more comfortable.

#17 ·
One thing to check for, especially since you're use to IWB carry. Put the OWB rig on and try reaching up high like for something on a top shelf. OWB carry requires a longer cover garment at times like that. I carry a cane left handed (weak side) so any reaching (i.e. for groceries) is done with my strong side hand.

Yes, OWB CAN be more comfortable but that's not always the case. It'll depend on your belt, holster and gun you're wearing. I carry my Glock 19 primarily OWB but my 1911s IWB because of their thin profile.

Give it a try and see what YOU think.
Jack

#18 ·
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll give the OWB a whirl since I received one with the gun purchase. If I don't like it, I can always change back to IWB since I'm comfortable with that option.

I really just wanted to get some feedback from experienced people using OWB regarding comfort and concealment.

#19 ·
I love my IWB holsters but seriously... how could not stuffing a holstered gun inside your pants possibly not be more comfortable? :rofl:

#21 ·
I carry both IWB and OWB. IWB conceals easier. OWB is more comfortable and quicker / easier to deploy my weapon from.

#23 ·
I've been carrying OWB the last few days around the house to get a feel for it... So far it's very comfortable and conceals well with an untucked button down shirt. Not to mention, I can tighten my belt to where it's supposed to be!

I'd try it outside the house if I could find some 40 S&W to load it. Ammo is pretty scarce in Knoxville at the moment it appears. Unless I want to pay $20+ per box at the local range.

#24 ·
Open carry is legal here in Tennessee...good thing...I vary between concealed and open carry a Glock 27 in my Don Hume 721 OT holster. I used to carry IWB when I was younger and lighter, but now that I'm older and heavier, OWB is much more comfortable.

#25 ·
Depending on your build you might try AIWB. I find it a lot more comfortable than the traditional 3:30 - 4:00 position yet not as comfortable as OWB. It is a very fast presentation position for those who care about such things. :yup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.