Shoulders?

This is a discussion on Shoulders? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I have more holsters than I should but I still have a craving for a shoulder holster. I would use it for a 5" ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoulders?

Shoulders?

So I have more holsters than I should but I still have a craving for a shoulder holster. I would use it for a 5" Kimber. I have some quality leather, Sparks etc. but don't know where to go for a well made shoulder rig. I have to wear suits and sport coats a lot. At least that is my excuse for getting one. Appreciate your advice.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Galco makes the"miami classic" a horizontal holster and Bianchi makes a vertical holster. There is a good place to start...

Here's a link: shoulder holsters
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I have three shoulder holsters. The Miami Classic is indeed classic but I have a Hunter shoulder rig that seems like a knock off of the Miami. I also have the Bianchi X-15 vertical carry. Either way, it's a lot of leather for under your arm but I am fine with that. You may want to consider an "executive" style shoulder rig that doesn't have the mag pouches under the weak hand arm. A lot less bulk for sure. I have one made by Galco for my little Sig P232 but recently saw one for more full sized pistols.
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

A horizontal shoulder rig works well for a full size 45 auto in my opinion. I used one for a couple of years. A good option.

I found this to be helpful, maybe you will too:
    Shoulder Holster Review

miami classic, i have one and love it

This one (for a Kimber Ultra CDP) is mine, but I don't use it much...

Fist Vertical Shoulder Holster
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    If you can find one, Lou Alessi made the best shoulder rigs. John Ralston of 5Shot who was a protege of Lou's makes an awesome one as well.

I considered the Miami Classic for my Beretta, but went with a rig from Rudy and Black Hill Leather. With the Military Discount (retired Air Force) I couldn't beat the price anywhere. Took a few weeks to get it as he makes them as they are ordered, but you can certainly customize, vertical, horizontal, mag pouches or not.

Heres the link Black Hills Leather - The best custom gun leather western holsters & rigs

Also had him make a rig for my Walther P22 w/o Laser.

Thanks for the advice guys. The Shoulder Holster Review was particularly helpful. I think I will see if I can track down a Lou Alessi as a first step.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    If you can find one of Lou's, you'll have a true masters choice from what I've heard.

I have 3 of the Miami Classics from Galco. One from the mid 1980's, one from the mid 1990's and one from about 2006. If I didn't love the first one (or second) I'd have never bought the next. Why three? The older ones are still serviceable, original was tan for a 1911 and is buried in a storage unit currently-and I found it easier to buy a new rig a few years ago The other is black, and set up for Glocks.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by torrejon224 View Post
    If you can find one, Lou Alessi made the best shoulder rigs. John Ralston of 5Shot who was a protege of Lou's makes an awesome one as well.
    I'll second that. My Alessi Bodyguard with the offset speed strip pouch does a great job of comfortably concealing my model 19 S&W. Worn it on a few 400 mile bike rides with zero complaints.

Love it!!!
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Don't forget the Andrews Leather Monarch. Very highly thought of, used by several agencies. I have one with interchangeable holsters for different guns.

Andrews Custom Leather - Monarch Shoulder Rig
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys. The Shoulder Holster Review was particularly helpful. I think I will see if I can track down a Lou Alessi as a first step.
    Contact Tom Kulwicki at Alessi Holsters. He will set you up with what you want. After Lou's death they relocated the shop from its former location in Amherst, NY to Cheektowaga, NY and are now only about 1.5 miles from my house. I stopped in yesterday and spoke with Tom as he is getting ready to go live with an online ordering system and full production. They are working on getting all backlog orders out first and then will be concentrating on new orders.

He took my order for a Walther PPS OWB and told me it will be about 10-12 weeks. Super nice guy. Quality is as good as ever and all warranties for Alessi leather are still in full effect. He showed me a holster that was sent to him by a customer who bought it 23 years ago and had seen 23 years of daily service. He was repairing it for free and shipping it back. Now that is top-notch service!

I asked him about belts and he said they are available but want to concentrate on holsters while they are growing into their new space and will be taking orders for belts in the late fall / early winter.

Alessi Holster
    2525 Walden Ave.
    Cheektowaga, NY 14225
    Tel: (716) 706-0321
    Fax (716) 706-0319

tom@alessigunholsters.com
    Alessi Gun Holsters

FYI: The website has only recently been uploaded. It is not fully functional yet, it is merely there for "web presence" for the time being. The email DOES work so you can contact him via email or simply give him a call. Tell him Todd the PPS guy sent you over....

I have to add DeSantis into the group. I purchased one for my G23 about 7 years ago and still use it to this day.

Here is a link for the Kimber guns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links