Bluegrass holsters - how would you proceed?

This is a discussion on Bluegrass holsters - how would you proceed? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I apologize in advance for the lengthy post. Most of the length is the letter sent from Brock that I just rec'd today. I'm just ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bluegrass holsters - how would you proceed?

Bluegrass holsters - how would you proceed?

I apologize in advance for the lengthy post. Most of the length is the letter sent from Brock that I just rec'd today. I'm just looking for some helpful feedback on what you would do in this situation.

I posted on here a few weeks ago searching for contact info. for Brock and nobody replied except those who wished me good luck in my quest or shared their Bluegrass drama. Several had to practically threaten Brock to get their holster or money back - I just don't have it in me to go that far. Anyway, I have been stewing over this for a while and just today rec'd a mass email letter from Brock.

It reads...

Greetings....

First my apologies for this being so long since your order. As you may know I have had a couple bouts of illness, one of which left me out of the shop for a month....the other just added to my backlogged work load. It is my desire to finish our relationship by making you a holster suitable for your needs, however, it is time to get things reset. Since I am getting back on my feet I am presenting several options in order to define your interest in obtaining your order. Please understand that reply to this email is mandatory in order to keep your order in place and to receive your custom holster. If I do not receive an affirmative answer I will cancel your order and refund your money as I simply need to get to the bottom of the work pile and will not tolerate any further complaints about lack of delivery. Sorry to be harsh, but I want to finish these holsters as badly as some of you want your holster. Please read option TWO carefully as it contains some limitations on the order process.

==================================

Here are the options...choose one and reply to this email within 72 hours. If I do not receive a reply in that time frame I will send this letter once again with a 24 hour time limit. After that the order in question will be cancelled and a refund processed. Refunds may take 2-4 weeks to show on your statement, but they WILL appear if the order is cancelled:

OPTION 1:

Complete Cancellation of your order and request for refund.

OPTION 2:

Please keep my order. I want the holster and am willing to wait for delivery. In choosing this option I understand that there will be no stated time for delivery. I understand that I WILL receive a holster and it will be the same Bluegrass Custom Gunleather quality as always. I further understand that if my order contained shark trim that I will receive a holster with a complete shark covering of the front at no extra cost. I understand that these holsters will be changed from whatever color I ordered to BLACK in an effort to shorten construction time. I realize this may not be what you would like, but dyeing the holsters leads to increased construction times and increased possibility of the order being delayed longer. Dying also effects horsehide holsters. Horsehide is very hard to dye and doing so greatly increases the delivery time...it also increases the chance of a problem with the holster causing it to be restarted....thus, ALL holsters with horsehide will be crafted in natural tanned color only. By choosing this option I understand and agree to the horsehide holster being crafted in natural color only. They will still have all of the regular treatments during the process, they will just not be dyed.

Holsters which were cowhide with horsehide trim will be made with the front of the holster in natural horsehide only. The use of trim has been entirely suspended in order to get these orders out the door expeditiously. I understand the following regarding trim: a) that if my order has cowhide holster with horsehide trim of any color that the trim will be deleted and natural horsehide substituted for the entire front of the holster, AND that the back of the holster will be made in natural horsehide at no additional cost to me. This is a greater value to you as a customer and there will be no additional charge; b) that if my holster was horsehide with horsehide trim that the trim will be deleted from the order and I will receive a credit equal to that which is no longer offered; c) again, trim in shark will be changed to shark covering of the entire front of the holster which is a greater value to me as a customer and that I will not be charged for this upgrade. Additionally, the shark is available in black and brown. No dying will take place of the sharkskin. When one color is exhausted the other will be substituted without consultation with the customer. Either color looks fine with black or natural holster bodies. Once the sharkskin is gone it will not be reordered, primarily as the product is backordered at the supplier level in many cases which would lead to increased production times, and because many skins are rejected due to tanning issues. If your order calls for sharkskin, and we are out of sharkskin, you will receive a credit equal to the amount you paid for that upgrade.

OPTION 3:

Convert your order to a hybrid holster and receive a credit of any difference between the custom and the hybrid holsters. Please understand that not all firearms are available in the hybrid holsters. If you choose this option please understand that you may be notified that a shell is NOT available for your firearm. If this is the case you will be offered the chance to substitute another firearm compatible with hybrid holsters, or you will be directed to choose one of the remaining options. The firearm model list is NOT current on the hybrid site, so if you want to convert your order you will be contacted with further details. You can speed the process in this option by replying with your firearm and barrel length so that hybrid staff can assist you in a prompt manner.

===============================

Please understand that I had hoped to have some alternatives in place to speed production of the custom holsters, and that I have been acutely aware of your existing order. Nothing I have done to date to craft the holsters faster has produced appropriate results. It is one man, one holster, and nothing leaving the shop until it is right with me. If you want something to smile about, your order is one that was paid for....the folks on the 5 month backlog may not get a holster. I am not sure what will happen to their orders, but I will not be letting them get into this situation.

Thank you for your understanding and prompt response to this email. Remember to include your order number when making an option choice as it benefits both of us. If you have already received your order from me you can disregard. We will be checking all orders for shipment before we begin this process.

Brock Morgan, Maker
    Bluegrass Holsters

I'm really not one to let little things get to me. However, my ordeal with Brock at Bluegrass Holsters has been one to truly test my limits. I know I am not alone, I have been privately contacted on this board and witnessed the posts of many others on here, Glocktalk, and other gun forums that Brock has left hanging. Before anyone takes sides or comes to Brock's defense I want to make clear I think Brock is a "good guy" who "means well". (I spoke to him personally for approx. an hour back in February.) However, I must also make it clear that this is my FIRST experience at ordering a custom holster and has been nothing short of abysmal. As a fellow business owner his complete lack of professionalism leaves me dumbstruck. Since speaking to him in February, all attempts at contact have been fruitless. The only way to contact Brock is through email on his website - which he doesn't bother to reply to. He also has no phone number or physical address listed either. Fishy to say the least, but purely unprofessional and one can't help but wonder why?

That said, several things trouble me about this letter...

1. Why the harsh tone? ...and will not tolerate any further complaints about lack of delivery... Brock, some of us have been trying to reach you for MONTHS! You don't reply to emails sent through your website. You have no other contact info. listed. In my case you've had interest free use of my money for 4 months - I imagine thousands of dollars from other customers, interest free, for months! Your total lack of communication has had me worried that I'd been scammed. You really can't see why we're upset?

2. What is with these options, more specifically - why all of the sudden limitations with materials and colors? The point of a custom holster is that it is a CUSTOM HOLSTER. Shouldn't we all get what we ordered and paid for?

3. OPTION #2 - I want the holster and am willing to wait for delivery. In choosing this option I understand that there will be no stated time for delivery... Are you kidding me? This is actually a stipulation? Even Milt Sparks can tell you within a month or two when you'll have your holster. If I am going to make an informed decision here shouldn't I at least have a ballpark idea if you are talking about 3 more weeks, 3 more months or longer? I'm not anxious to go through another 6 months of drama, excuses, etc.

4. OPTION #3 - Convert your order to a hybrid holster... Again, I am confused here. You've kept me and others waiting for months on a custom holster. I know you said you've been ill, but in that duration you had the resources and time to start this whole new hybrid division?

5. If you want something to smile about, your order is one that was paid for....the folks on the 5 month backlog may not get a holster. I am not sure what will happen to their orders, but I will not be letting them get into this situation. Gee, I feel so "lucky" that I am in this situation. I "will" get a holster - might no be the one I ordered - you also can't tell me when. So for the other poor schmucks that have been waiting they'll probably get a choice to either cancel their orders or get a hybrid. Nice.

***I'm going to have to sleep on this to figure out what I want to do. So many things bother me about this whole situation, but I'm not going to waste any more time going into more detail. Yeah, I'm upset. And over the last few weeks I've been seeing all the posts for the Bluegrass hybrid holsters and the happy owners singing their praises. All I can say is good for you. I can't help but wonder if I and others helped finance that venture and were the ones left to suffer for its creation. Personally speaking for me and the others in this mess I think the whole situation stinks.

2. Remove Ads

Do what you think is right; this thread has the potential to get ugly...
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I think the e-mail is evidence of a gy trying to make things right. Do whichever makes you happy, but I think it is pretty stand up.

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    Do what you think is right; this thread has the potential to get ugly...
    That is what I'm having a hard time with. Not one of his options is "right". Option 1 is that I get my money back, which he got to use for a lengthy time - interest free and he's off the hook. Then I go to the back of the line at another custom holster maker. Option 2 is that I wait (nobody knows how long) for a holster that won't be the color I ordered (I ordered mahogany) and might not have the features/materials I asked for. Option 3 is that I get a hybrid holster - again, not what I ordered - not what I wanted - not what I paid and waited this long for.

I understand about this thread's potential to get ugly, and that is not my intention. I initially decided to purchase from Bluegrass based on testimony stated here on this forum and elsewhere that he made a fine holster. So in the same manner, I do feel obligated to share with the community my experience with Brock and Bluegrass Holsters and let them draw their own conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Buckeye View Post
    I think the e-mail is evidence of a gy trying to make things right. Do whichever makes you happy, but I think it is pretty stand up.
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I refuse to believe someone who won't reply to emails and doesn't list a phone number or physical address is being stand up. His sole defense is that he is a 1 man shop. He may have not had the time, but for God's sake hire an assistant or something to handle communication and let everyone know where they stand. Furthermore, if he really wanted to be "stand up" he would come out and say something like; I currently have "X" amount of holsters to complete that are already paid for. Based on production of "X" holsters per month I expect your holster to be ready no later than "X". Yet, he won't promise any delivery dates or even a rough estimate. I think this is totally unacceptable based on the delays I and others have experienced so far.

I feel for you. Option 1 would be my choice. Your first loss is your best loss. I hope Bluegrass pulls it together that would be good for everyone in the long run.
    Last edited by dougja; June 29th, 2009 at 08:03 PM. Reason: spelling

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    My history with Brock can be found in the "Where's My Holster" thread. I would not consider dealing with him again, based upon my personal experience, and the experiences of others who have posted regarding him.

I would take the refund, and find a maker who will do what he says, and whose customer service indicated that he cares about the customer.

My opinion is that he is not trying to make things right, but to placate you for a time. I hope you can get your money back if that is the option you choose.

I do not tolerate such business people as Brock.

Regards,
    Jerry

How would I proceed?

Get a refund.

Wish Brock well.

Find another holster maker who will make what I want, and will communicate with me.

I would opt for...Option 1. Plenty of other holster makers to choose from.

What type of holster/gun did you order?
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    How would I proceed?

Get a refund.

Wish Brock well.

Find another holster maker who will make what I want, and will communicate with me.
    Amen and +1!
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
    I would opt for...Option 1. Plenty of other holster makers to choose from.

What type of holster/gun did you order?
    I ordered the "ghost" model for an M&P.

VIP Member
    Option one.

Remember the old expression, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I've been burned by two other "custom"holster makers (no holster,no money), I would say get the refund now!

Be happy when you get your money and move on.

Dave

I'm on week 23 of my wait for my custom from a reputable maker. The wait is horrendous and I'll likely never do business with them again because of it, but at least they're up front about it. Get your money back and move on.
    HK45c V1

Administrator
    Sorry but, ethical people in business just do not dream up or fabricate a brand new illegal "one party" contract and invent new "terms, conditions, and ultimatums" that did not previously exist and were not previously agreed upon or understood by both parties and then slap on a harsh "You're SOL if you don't comply deadline" to boot.

I'd grab a full refund and as soon as possible. Take the money and run. Plenty of other fantastic holster makers out there that would just love and appreciate your hard earned dollars and your order.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links