Appendix carry

Appendix carry

This is a discussion on Appendix carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How viable is this option? I've thought about getting an appendix holster for my m&p40c but I'm on the fence about a couple things, like ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Appendix carry

Appendix carry

How viable is this option? I've thought about getting an appendix holster for my m&p40c but I'm on the fence about a couple things, like if sitting down is remotely comfortable. I'm not a skinny guy so I'm not sure how that would work out for me. Does one always have to shift their weapon when they climb in and out of the car? How does this method conceal compared to seemingly more common behind-the-hip IWB style?

any and all opinions are welcome!

Everyone is different and what works for one, others can't stand.
    I could never carry at 1:00 - 2:00, but then many won't carry at 5:00 'palm out' either...but that's what I've grown accustomed to...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have been toying around with the idea of appendix carry. But I have some concerns as well. Interested to hear from someone who has tried this out.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Appendix carry
    Good option. Options are good. Smartcarry is nice, and I was appendix carrying the other day when a dog got serious with me. It works.

I'm left handed and appendix carry at 10-11 o'clock. I love it. I carry an LCP in a Blackhawk IWB so I barely notice it's there, even when sitting. I looked down the other day while walking into the wind and had no visible printing either. I don't know that I would carry any other way.

MT
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Steps in the stripping of State's Rights/Sovereignty
    1. War of Northern Agression 2. Coersion to ratify the 14th Amendment 3. Ratified 17th Amendment

I use an Alessi APX for my 642. It is a very comfortable holster.
    I also use an Com-Tac 2 O clock, for my P9, it also is a very comfortable holster. There are some advantages to carrying in the appendix position, it's fast, people don't usually tough in that area when thet greet you etc, you might find that it will take alittle while to get accustomed to it, but it give it a try, I like it.

My biggest concern is sitting, i mean i don't know if it's anything like actually carrying in a holster but i tried to sit down just now with my weapon at 10:30 (lefty) tucked into my wb "mexican" style, and it sucked. i hope a holster fixes that.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeytown View Post
    I'm left handed and appendix carry at 10-11 o'clock. I love it. I carry an LCP in a Blackhawk IWB so I barely notice it's there, even when sitting. I looked down the other day while walking into the wind and had no visible printing either. I don't know that I would carry any other way.

MT
    What size blackhawk holster are you using? I was actually looking around today for a blackhawk holster I could get for this very reason.
    LCP w/ crimson trace grip for appendix carry.

I use a Smartcarry low at the 1100 position. Nice thing about having the gun in front of you is that it minimizes hand movement when drawing, compared to more traditional 3 or 9 o'clock carry.

While the Smartcarry puts the handgun lower than other appendix holsters, it allows you to tuck your shirt behind the holster. Thus, what you lose in time by reaching further down, you gain by not having to untuck or sweep away a cover garment. Plus, you look neater, and no-one will suspect you are carrying a very substantial handgun (no need to compromise and carry a mousegun with this holster).

As far as sitting - when I sit, the gun lays on top of my left thigh. Very comfortable, though I would imagine a 1911 beavertail might get a bit pokey. I carry a Glock 26, so no worries about pokey bits and sharp corners. My wallet in my front left pocket helps conceal any printing while seated.

Give it a try - you can return it if you don't like it.

I tried "true" appendix carry, and between my belly pushing the gun out and thin dress shirts for work, I might as well have worn a sign that said "look at me...I have a gun!"
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by Jameso View Post
    My biggest concern is sitting, i mean i don't know if it's anything like actually carrying in a holster but i tried to sit down just now with my weapon at 10:30 (lefty) tucked into my wb "mexican" style, and it sucked. i hope a holster fixes that.
    I have a 642, and an Uncle Mike's IWB size 36. I'm a righty, and I initially tried 1:00. No go. It killed me to sit down, and there was no adjusting that could be done. Then I tried cross-draw (11:00 - more like 10:30) and I love it. The angle of the gun in the cross-draw position makes it easier to adjust and relieve the pressure onto my leg when I sit. So, see if cross-draw works better for you.

Crossbreed qwikclip with Kahr MK9... very comfortable, especially sitting down, you just shift it an inch when you sit down or stand up (the only time you feel it is when you transition between sitting/standing vice versa. I literally forgot I had it on the other day just lounging around the house.

If you have a built-in emergency surplus food survival kit, aka a gut, that might change things...I'm not super skinny but I don't have much of a gut so I couldn't tell you...it might change things.

Commerce Storefront B2C

Use that holster, with a j-frame I have no problem with appendix carry.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

I only appendix carry with small guns, like my S&W 637 or my Glock 26. Any larger than that and the barrel starts getting friendly with my when I sit.

With small guns it's very comfortable and a great option for carry. I carry at about 10-11 and I am right handed.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    I carry that way frequently in a Fist Kydex clip-on IWB. Grip length is critical to concealment, a Glock 26/27 works fine, 19/23 would print. Kahr PM9/ PM40 work fine, PM45 would print. This is dependent on body type and clothing, so I saying what works for me in just a loose untucked t-shirt.

Smartcarry, just got it. Can easily hide a XD40 sc in some gym shorts. My initial impression is the slightly extra grip length of the XD40 subcompact will not be a factor, compared to a Glock 27, in the Smartcarry.

I carry that very same gun (S&W 40c) at my 1:00 position every day and love it! I use a Galco 2nd amendment and the only "adjusting" I have to do is when tieing my shoes from a sitting position. It is easily accessable and it dissapears (very little print if any). The only con to carrying this way is you have to wear your **** untucked or have a cover garment of some type. The Smart Carry is very popular and every body seems to like it - a lot. (My next holster purchase)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links