New garrity paddle rig

This is a discussion on New garrity paddle rig within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here are some pics of my new paddle rig for my commanders from Mark Garrity. Shark trim, kangaroo lining and suede backing. The draw is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New garrity paddle rig

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar

New garrity paddle rig

Here are some pics of my new paddle rig for my commanders from Mark Garrity. Shark trim, kangaroo lining and suede backing. The draw is like butter. By far the nicest paddle I have ever seen. Rides tight to the ribcage and conceals under a t-shirt!

2. Remove Ads

Nice looking holster, nicely trimmed.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Hi Mike,

I like the low front.
    How does it compare with the Kramer Paddle? since you have both you are a good man to make that assessment.

Regards,
    Jerry

Jerry, there is no comparison. The Garrity absolutely puts the Kramer to shame and makes it look like junk placed side to side. Besides, this rig with the trim sells for less than the basic Kramer MSP!! I know where I'll be buying my paddle rig from here on out. I already ordered another for a Govt model and am considering one for a "J" frame. Lets look at a few things:
    -fit, finish, boning: Garrity speaks for it's self
    -The paddle: Marks' has an extremely comfortable suede lining, Kramer, just bare leather
    -Ride and Cant: Garrity rides high& tight against my side as does the Kramer, cant adjustable on the Garrity, Kramer is not
    -Price: The basic Garrity is either $90 or $110 considering the options and model (he has two), the Kramer is $165
    -Delivery Time: OK, Kramer wins here but Mark has helped me out in the past when I needed a rig for a HK P7 and had it to me in two weeks. Hey, quality leather takes time.

Bottom line is the MSP looks like it came off a production line next to this. I have always been a propoent of the MSP but I never had the Garrity for comparison. The only other Paddle I own is a awesome one by Andy Artoonian of Horseshoe in England but he discontinued the model. Would I still buy an MSP if I needed one real quick and Mark couldn't come thru, maybe but I think at this point I'd sit back and be patient!!

Quote Originally Posted by torrejon224 View Post
    Jerry, there is no comparison. The Garrity absolutely puts the Kramer to shame and makes it look like junk placed side to side. Besides, this rig with the trim sells for less than the basic Kramer MSP!! I know where I'll be buying my paddle rig from here on out. I already ordered another for a Govt model and am considering one for a "J" frame. Lets look at a few things:
    -fit, finish, boning: Garrity speaks for it's self
    -The paddle: Marks' has an extremely comfortable suede lining, Kramer, just bare leather
    -Ride and Cant: Garrity rides high& tight against my side as does the Kramer, cant adjustable on the Garrity, Kramer is not
    -Price: The basic Garrity is either $90 or $110 considering the options and model (he has two), the Kramer is $165
    -Delivery Time: OK, Kramer wins here but Mark has helped me out in the past when I needed a rig for a HK P7 and had it to me in two weeks. Hey, quality leather takes time.

Bottom line is the MSP looks like it came off a production line next to this. I have always been a propoent of the MSP but I never had the Garrity for comparison. The only other Paddle I own is a awesome one by Andy Artoonian of Horseshoe in England but he discontinued the model. Would I still buy an MSP if I needed one real quick and Mark couldn't come thru, maybe but I think at this point I'd sit back and be patient!!
    WOW, that is quite an assessment, Mike.
    I sometimes have thought of the Kramer, but it is very pricy since I am not sure which gun I would use it for, and how often I would carry it.

I'll take a look at the Garrity.
    You mentioned that it rode high. That might let it out for me, as my shoulder doesn't let me go through such a range of motion as the holster might require. Is it much higher than the Kramer?
    Thanks.

I appreciate the information.
    Have a GREAT 4th.

Regards,
    Jerry

Jerry, I'd place them about the same in terms of ride and remember that with any maker you should mention your problem so it can be taken into consideration when the rig is being built. There is a maker in Georgia called George Wells (Wellsmade) who makes true orthepedic rigs. Probably spendy but ideal for someone with those issues. My right shoulder has a torn rotator cuff and the Garrity doesn't bother me. I'm working at the range tomorrow (Rangemaster) so I'll go in early and put it thru the paces! I didn't even know they had kangaroo leather but Mark told me he uses it to line a lot of his rigs, especially the paddles as it's very durable and pardon the expression "slick as snot". This holster has a draw like some of my Alessi's that are 15-20 years old!

Congratulations on a great holster. I guess patience and persistence pay off in the end!

Jerry, take a look at Garrity's site. He offers another paddle called the Changeling which is lower riding. It might be just the ticket for you.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by torrejon224 View Post
    Jerry, I'd place them about the same in terms of ride and remember that with any maker you should mention your problem so it can be taken into consideration when the rig is being built. There is a maker in Georgia called George Wells (Wellsmade) who makes true orthepedic rigs. Probably spendy but ideal for someone with those issues. My right shoulder has a torn rotator cuff and the Garrity doesn't bother me. I'm working at the range tomorrow (Rangemaster) so I'll go in early and put it thru the paces! I didn't even know they had kangaroo leather but Mark told me he uses it to line a lot of his rigs, especially the paddles as it's very durable and pardon the expression "slick as snot". This holster has a draw like some of my Alessi's that are 15-20 years old!
    Thanks again MIke. If you have a torn rotator cuff you are probably worse off than me.

Man! That is slick.

Regards,
    Jerry

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    That is one beautiful holster and 1911. Congrats!
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Hi N-frame Smith,

Thanks. I noticed that, and suspect it would be fine.
    I am really liking the snap loop holsters, and wondering if a paddle would offer anything I need.
    I wear my gun to church and when I come home at noon take it off until the evening service. The snap holsters do that well, and I don't always wear one when I wear my 1911 compact.

I agree that a paddle is even easier to put on and take off. If I were an LEO I could really see an advantage. Guess I'll have to think about it.
    It sure looks tempting.

I had not paid much attention to Garrity until now, but if Mike says he is good then he is good.

Regards,
    Jerry

Congrats on getting a holster from Garrity.

How's he doing on his time estimates now?

Biker

Nice looking rig. I ordered a holster from Garrity, which he said he would only take a month to do. It's been I think 4 months now, and he has refused to answer multiple e-mails asking for status. I guess I'll have to just go ahead and order my Milton Sparks and start the long wait. Terribly disappointed with Garrity, which is too bad, I wanted to support a local business.

Well, honestly I ordered this and two others in Jan/Feb 08. I needed an IWB (Incognito Deluxe) for a HK P7 quickly so Mark had developed a new model and sene that to me almost immediately and I received the Incognito in the Fall of 08. I had the same issues with communication. Mark's a full time LEO working permanent mids but he is also a businessman so I'm not making excuses. Earlier, this year I told him I absolutely had to have the Paddle by July and it showed up July 1st! He has some other things ready for me he is shipping Monday including new designs he wants me to try and critique. Mark is an absolute top notch leather crafter and is perhaps the best when it comes to exotic leather, I'd say that he and Alex Nossar are tied for that honor at least in my opinion. I have been patient, probably much more patient that I should have been with him but we had a long discussion and I think that things will get better. I worked perm mids for years and they definitely take a toll and in LE it's usuallly the shift where the real sh-- hits the fan. Again, I am not making any kind of excuses but I'll say that I am definitely glad I had the patience to wait this out as the end product was worth it.

Jerry, comparing a paddle rig to a snap on/off like Lou's CQC/S is comparing Apples to Apples when it comes to the easy on and off. With the paddle, you unsnap the security loop and pull the paddle off, with the cqc/s design, you unsnap both loops so I don't see one being better than the other for the application you mentioned. It comes down to personal preference.

Thanks, Mike for the additional information and the comparison.

Based upon comments, and my own needs I think I will stick with the snap loops for now. I do have some Comp-tac paddles. They work fine, but not for many hours use. The paddle becomes uncomfortable for me.

To compare anyone with Alex is a great compliment.

You and yours have a great 4th.
    Jerry

I was told, "Three or four months." when I ordered a holster from him.

Multiple excuses and eight or nine months later I finally cancelled my order. Yes, Mr. Garrity is a fine holstermaker but a businessman he is not. I will probably never own a Garrity Holster in my lifetime.

I posted my dealings with Garrity on multiple forums and will not order from him again. It's too bad that such a fine craftsman is such a crappy businessman. He should stick to doing one thing and not try to serve two masters. Either be a cop or be a holstermaker because he has proven to me that he can't do both in a competent manner.

Biker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links