Comfortable extra mag carry option

This is a discussion on Comfortable extra mag carry option within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I first started carrying, I knew it would be a good idea to carry an extra magazine. I looked at a bunch of different ...

Thread: Comfortable extra mag carry option

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar

Comfortable extra mag carry option

When I first started carrying, I knew it would be a good idea to carry an extra magazine. I looked at a bunch of different ways to carry one (I like my MTAC, so don't say Smartcarry ). I got an IWB mag carrier, but that was insanely uncomfortable. I put the mag in my pocket for awhile, but that meant shifting everything else to the other pocket, and there wasn't really enough room.

A little while ago, I was sitting here looking at what I have in front of me and it dawned on me that a multi-tool is almost exactly the same size as a G19 mag. I see people all the time carrying those little multi-tool pouches on their belts, and there is nothing suspicious about it. As a bonus, it is both very comfortable and easily accessible.

So, here is what I have been wearing for the last little while (pictured with my beloved Beltman horsehide gunbelt):

One thing that I have been thinking about, though, is the possibility of carrying two spare magazines instead of one. I'd kinda like to do that, just in case of malfunction, but I am having a hard time coming up with anything that is as comfortable as what I have now. Maybe I should just get a second, identical pouch

Let me know what you think
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

2. Remove Ads

2 multi-tools is never too much!

I just bought another mag for my Kimber Ultra Carry II. Paid $24 for it. More tools More Options!

I found a mag holder at Academy sports for less than 10.00 that is made from the same material
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

My gun shop had mag holsters designed like you multi-tool pouch. I use it for my Glock-36 mag, and it was very inexpensive.
    When I take my Kimber, I use a regular Galco clip-on OWB mag holder, when I take my Glock-36, I use the black pouch (like yours) with the velcro cover...works very well...it actually IS the most comfortable.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

something else is the carhardt work pants with the cell phone pocket on the thigh. perfect spot for an extra mag.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I took a similar route with my Glock 27 Mag. It is a cell phone case. These are so much a part of our lives no one pays any attention to them.

Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Good idea.
    Thanks

EW3
    There are also horizontal knife cases similiar to the OPs case that you can carry a mag in that would be pretty comfortable and no one would even know.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

I use a cell phone belt type which I purchased from Harbor Freight for $3.99. It hold 2 Beretta mags with a magnetic cover. Then I added a narrow strip of leather to close the bottom and cut so the strips would fit up the sides.

Nice!!!
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Rainbow of California makes perfect cases for your spare mag. (They are supposed to be for pocket knives) Can be used horizontal or vertical. I use them for my LCP and PPS mags.

MEDIUM FOR $4.00

Medium Knifecase - Rainbow of California

LARGE FOR $4.75

Large Knifecase - Rainbow of California

Links