Protect the Finish - Page 2

Protect the Finish

This is a discussion on Protect the Finish within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alessi Gun Holsters...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Protect the Finish

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar

Sportsterguy: Heres mine with Spegals and a C&S sear and thumb safety. Disconnected the mag safety and she's a shooter!
    Nice. My magazine disconnect has been out since day one. Deciding I was probably planning to keep it, last year I splurged on a high-quality trigger job, and a couple of months ago I put those Spegal (kingwood) grips on it. I thought about having the humped feed ramp re-profiled, but I've had no issues with the standard-velocity hollowpoints I run, so have put that off. Also put off has been a new safety, as I don't consider it necessary for a house pistol - that'd be different if I carry it, though.

I was concerned about the hammer spur when cocked for carrying, but John Ralston of FiveShotLeather says his body shield covers it. Now I just have to decide whether or not to carry it.

One thing in favor of carrying it is the hundred or thousands of rounds I've put through it - lots of confidence it'll work, first time, every time. To get any other similar piece to the same confidence level I'd have to spend a lot of money shooting it. That ammunition money would tend to cut into the collector value I'd be protecting...

I think I'll keep it in the drawer, though, and carry something else.

guns are meant to be carried and not put in a sealed glass box. I get one to carry everyday, use the othe as the nightstand gun. I am not going to worry about bluing wear on my carry.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    guns are meant to be carried and not put in a sealed glass box. I get one to carry everyday, use the othe as the nightstand gun. I am not going to worry about bluing wear on my carry.
    I have zero safe queens. That mans HP is a beautiful gun thats giving him enjoyment and protection. Why devalue a pristine example of a great pistol that may end up in the local LEO agencies vault if used in a SD shooting.

Good decision Jaywalk. My P7 plum slide PSP is butt ugly but 100% reliable and the most accurate pistol out of the box I've ever shot. I don't worry about the finish on it as long as it performs. My HP has great sentimental value to it and I want to keep her looking good.

JMO
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsterguy View Post
    Why devalue a pristine example of a great pistol that may end up in the local LEO agencies vault if used in a SD shooting.
    JMO
    As far as ending up in a LEO vault, it could end up there if used at home for self defense as well as if he were carrying it.
    NRA life member.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    That Browning is more than a gun, it's a piece of history. I know guns were meant to be shot, but an example like yours is a reflection of craftsmanship no longer seen. I would definitely find a suitable fine wood, velvet lined case and preserve it. Then buy a current production, stainless steel piece and carry IT. If it's stainless, the finish will never wear off and nicks and dings can be easily buffed away.
    If you're really intent on carrying it, check out brigadegunleather.com. They make some top of the line holsters. They do numerous things to the interior to protect the guns finish. The only drawback is the long wait time of about 17 months.
    Any holster, no matter how well made, is going to wear off your guns finish.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I am with Sportsterguy. Good decision Jaywalk.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota97 View Post
    As far as ending up in a LEO vault, it could end up there if used at home for self defense as well as if he were carrying it.
    Excellent point Dakota, but much less srutiny from the LEO side of the house when someone has invaded your domain to do harm to you and your family.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links