Protect the Finish

Protect the Finish

This is a discussion on Protect the Finish within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been using this Browning Hi-Power since 1980 at the bedside and the range but it's been carried rarely: I'm now looking for a holster ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protect the Finish

Protect the Finish

I've been using this Browning Hi-Power since 1980 at the bedside and the range but it's been carried rarely:

I'm now looking for a holster - probably a pancake - and wonder if certain holster features make any difference in keeping it looking like new. For instance, does a leather lining help preserve the blue finish?

I understand the holster itself will wear away the finish eventually - I'd just like to think I did what I could to put it off as long as possible.

Thanks.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Well, First I'd like to discount a myth that some have. Don't get a suede lined holster. The chemicals used in the tanning process of most suede has the potential to corrode the finish and metal of your gun.

I'm not saying it will, but it may.

Your best bet may be a leather lined holster or a smooth side in.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

That is a real beauty. I have one from 1966. If you carry it, it will show wear. I have a Kramer Handgun Leather - Revolver holsters, concealment holsters, paddle holster, 1911 holster, ankle holster belt scabbard with FBI cant in horsehide. I would be tempted to not carry that little princess and get something you don't care if it gets a little wear.

I agree with Nate and ltl-usa. If you carry a particular pistol daily, it will eventually start to show wear. In addition, suede tends to be a real dust/dirt magnet and may expedite the wear process. Not all blueing processes are created equal and have the same durability. I don't own any real collector handguns. There are no "queens" living in my gunsafe. If I purchase a new pistol, I build a new holster,carry it, and enjoy it.
    BTW, that's a beautiful High Power!
    Randy

Consider the wear as character and enjoy carrying the weapon. You can't dig with a shovel and not get sratches and you can't carry a gun and not get wear.
    NRA life member.

I agree, things are to be used. However, that little safe queen is now a collector's item (I think) and I would keep it that way. Go get a Springfield XD subbie and bang (pun) the heck out of it while carrying.

That is very nice and top of the line, but remember you cant take it with you... so purchase a custom holster and enjoy it.

STAY AWAY FROM KYDEX! It took about 8 months for a kydex holster to rub the finish off one of my XDs. Granted it was a cheep paddle holster, but kydex is only good for stainless steel. You want a good quality leather holster. Check these out:

Rockys Pure Kustoms

UGB holsters

The leather used are GREAT quality and will make the finish last much, much longer. Hope it helps!

It does - thanks, all.

I figure a 30-year test for reliabiliity is about right before carrying. My J-frame just made the cut a couple of years ago.

Administrator
    Your Browning is an excellent carry gun & it's in super nice condition.

Both Kydex and leather will eventually cause finish wear on the the rub spots of the firearm.
    Kydex will wear a firearm finish quicker but crisper.

So if you have an investment grade firearm that you eventually will want to sell as absolutely "MINT" condition then naturally you would not want to carry that one holstered and would keep it regulated to constant "safe-queen" status.

That having been said there ARE some things that you can do to minimize the "wear" and preserve the finish on a firearm holstered in leather. (See Below)

> Keep the inside of your holster wiped clean with a cotton cloth.

> Do the plastic bag or the "Waxed Paper thing" which will prevent your leather holster from being overly tight.
    Leave your firearm holstered that way for about two days.
    That helps because it forces the molded leather to stretch and conform itself to any overly tight firearm high spots and edges.

> Keep a light protective coat of Renaissance Wax on your firearm. <~~~
    This stuff is really super great. It is HARD -PH Neutral - Not slippery - and it provides great finish protection.
    There is always some listed on Ebay.

> Do not repeatedly practice drawing and re-holstering with that particular firearm.

Holster wear on a carry firearm is not something that I fret about and I don't see any problem with honest holster wear on a carry gun.
    I own a couple of "investment grade" guns and naturally I don't carry them at all since my original intention on buying them was to keep them absolutely "Mint" for maximum dollar resale value at some point down the road.

RENAISSANCE WAX INFO:

RENAISSANCE WAX is used in the following places in the U.S.
    The Smithsonian Institute,
    Colonial Williamsburg Conservatory
    Abraham Lincoln Residence
    Vicksburg Military Park and Museum
    Henry Ford Museum
    Academy of Arts
    Metropolitan Museum of Art
    NRA Museum
    Rockefeller Restorations
    Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation
    Hilton Hotels
    BYU Museum of Art
    National Ornamental Metals Museum
    as well as other museums
    and by government agencies, craftsmen, custom knife makers and knife and gun collectors.

In the United Kingdom it is used in:
    The British Museum
    Victoria and Albert Museum
    Buckingham Palace
    Military Museums at Aldershot
    H.M. the Queens Royal Armourer
    The National Museum of Antiquities
    Scotland, Royal Armories (London & Leeds)
    The Imperial War Museum
    Windsor Castle
    The Tower of London.

unfortunately, any holster you put around that beautiful weapon will wear that blueing off eventually, the more you draw that weapon in and out of that holster the more the process will be accelerated.

Your best bet to protect it if you want to carry it is hard chrome or one of those excellent ceramic coatings they are using nowadays...
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Smile

DeSantis Holsters has a line of fabric IWB holsters that may (?) be better on the gun's finish. I have not used them but I do have a couple of their Tuck This II holsters on order. Just a thought.

Armydad

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead79 View Post
    Well, First I'd like to discount a myth that some have. Don't get a suede lined holster. The chemicals used in the tanning process of most suede has the potential to corrode the finish and metal of your gun.

I'm not saying it will, but it may.

Your best bet may be a leather lined holster or a smooth side in.

Nate
    Nate is correct like normal

Getting a smooth side in holster would be your best bet. They are great guns.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Thanks. I never really considered this a collector piece, so it's kind of a surprise to think of it as such. I bought it as a workaday replacement for a true collector that I wouldn't use and sold, a SIG-Neuhausen P210. I don't plan to sell it, so my estate may have to look out for itself. OTOH, it's worked as a nightstand pistol for three decades, so maybe I don't need to carry it. Something to think about, anyway.

Oh, and thanks for the Renaissance Wax concept - I'd never thought/heard of it.
    Last edited by Jaywalk; July 4th, 2009 at 08:35 PM.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    That sir is a beautiful HP. I bought mine for myself in 77 for a grad present. Last year WAS going to use it as my CCW, BUT it was just too damm pretty to carry daily IMO. I carry 24/7 and couldn't bring myself to wear the finish off as I practice weekly both shooting and lot's of drawing. Finally settled on my P7 PSP as my CCW and haven't looked back.

I myself would use it as a range pistol/HD weapon like mine and buy another used HP for carry. Love shooting it so it does bring me enjoyment and isn't lonely in the safe. It's also my all time favorite semi auto.

I consider mine an investment and it will go to my oldest daughter who's a detective when it's my time.

Heres mine with Spegals and a C&S sear and thumb safety. Disconnected the mag safety and she's a shooter!

Last edited by Sportsterguy; July 5th, 2009 at 01:34 PM.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links