Motorcycle Carry Option

This is a discussion on Motorcycle Carry Option within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've already mentioned here that I like to use the thigh pack from Saber Gear to carry my G23 when I ride my motorcycle. If ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle Carry Option

Motorcycle Carry Option

I've already mentioned here that I like to use the thigh pack from Saber Gear to carry my G23 when I ride my motorcycle. If you look at the website, they show one of the front pockets for carrying a revolver. I was using that for my Glock but it was a tight fit. Especially after I added the Crimson Trace. The problem was that the main compartment was too big and the gun flopped around (not good).

That's when I checked out the Ohai Modular Holster from Crossbreed. It seemed like the answer. Well, I got it yesterday and it worked great! I think this is perfect for motorcycle carry. I slapped in the Velcro and now I can place the holster at the perfect angle. I grabbed the back corner of the pack and pulled. It opened easily so all I need to do is attach a pull tab and I've got quick access. I've been using the thigh pack since I got my permit and no one had ever suspected what's inside.

Here... check it out.

DSC02191.jpgDSC02190.jpgDSC02193.jpgDSC02195.jpg
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

2. Remove Ads

Looks like a sturdy set-up for a motorcycle.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Interesting set up.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

FYI... Ordered it (the Ohai) on 6/29, received on 7/3. Hats off to Crossbreed!
    Last edited by johnsonabq; July 5th, 2009 at 12:45 PM.
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Looks like a sturdy set-up for a motorcycle.
    I agree. I like my shoulder holster but if I were to carry off body that rig looks great.

Please give a ride/carry report in a month.

Ride safe and shoot straight!

SG
    Last edited by Sportsterguy; July 5th, 2009 at 12:30 PM.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsterguy View Post
    I agree. I like my shoulder holster but if I wwere to carry off body that rig looks great.

Please give a ride/carry report in a month.

Ride safe and shoot straight!

SG
    It seems that I only off body carry on the motorcycle. It's the most comfortable. I still carry IWB a fair amount though.

But if you think about it, this rig is not all that much different than a tactical leg holster with a cover over it for concealment. It's got the waist belt and the thigh belt on the bottom. Very secure.
    Jeff
    NRA Member

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonabq View Post
    It seems that I only off body carry on the motorcycle. It's the most comfortable. I still carry IWB a fair amount though.

But if you think about it, this rig is not all that much different than a tactical leg holster with a cover over it for concealment. It's got the waist belt and the thigh belt on the bottom. Very secure.
    My bad. Should of read the entire OP's post and went to the website. Nice option!

Johnsonabq,

Are you getting any questions about "what's in the bag" from folks?
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsterguy View Post
    Johnsonabq,

Are you getting any questions about "what's in the bag" from folks?
    Not one person has asked. Since I only wear it riding, I'm with the Harley crowd which I'm sure you know is a different breed. And the average Joe tends to give us a wide berth. If anyone asks anything, it's about the bike. Even still though, I've worn it into Wally World, Target, etc. and nobody seems to notice.

One other thing I like about the rig is if I have to go anywhere that prohibits CC, I can easily take it off, slip a few items into the jeans pockets and pop it into the tour pack or saddlebag and lock it up.
    Last edited by johnsonabq; July 5th, 2009 at 05:17 PM.
    Jeff
    NRA Member

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    That sure is a different idea. How much does the bag cost, I clicked the link but didn't see a price?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonabq View Post
    I've already mentioned here that I like to use the thigh pack from Saber Gear to carry my G23 when I ride my motorcycle. If you look at the website, they show one of the front pockets for carrying a revolver. I was using that for my Glock but it was a tight fit. Especially after I added the Crimson Trace. The problem was that the main compartment was too big and the gun flopped around (not good).

That's when I checked out the Ohai Modular Holster from Crossbreed. It seemed like the answer. Well, I got it yesterday and it worked great! I think this is perfect for motorcycle carry. I slapped in the Velcro and now I can place the holster at the perfect angle. I grabbed the back corner of the pack and pulled. It opened easily so all I need to do is attach a pull tab and I've got quick access. I've been using the thigh pack since I got my permit and no one had ever suspected what's inside.

Here... check it out.

DSC02191.jpgDSC02190.jpgDSC02193.jpgDSC02195.jpg
    No one? Most all LEO's are trained and will suspect or assume any Biker with a fanny pack to be carrying.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    No one? Most all LEO's are trained and will suspect or assume any Biker with a fanny pack to be carrying.
    Well... This isn't really a fanny pack since it's on the thigh.

The look is different. Of course I can't tell what people are thinking. (OK, maybe I should've worded that differently) No one has said anything to me and that's what I go by. That, and I pay attention to people's looks and reactions. To be honest, it doesn't bother me if an LEO knows. I'm legal and he/she has nothing to worry about from me.

I know this won't be for everyone. Just an option for people to consider. I like it for use at this time of the year when it's warm. And as I said, it's discreet when going in an out of places that don't allow CC. This is an important feature here in NM where we can't carry in restaurants that serve alcohol.

I would be interested in any opinions from any LEOs here. What would be your reaction to anyone wearing this? I don't want to make anyone nervous.
    Jeff
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Super Trucker View Post
    That sure is a different idea. How much does the bag cost, I clicked the link but didn't see a price?
    If you click the order link you get the price except they're out of stock at the moment. (never mind what it says on the home page, it's on the order page.)

The thigh pack was $35 + shipping. The people who sell it live here in Albuquerque so I got it without shipping. BTW they ride a sweet Gold Wing trike!
    Jeff
    NRA Member

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I live in NM also, when I had my FXDL I just open carried in a Galco hip holster.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    I live in NM also, when I had my FXDL I just open carried in a Galco hip holster.
    Oh yes, open carry is always and option here in NM. It's just not for me though.

Regards,
    Jeff
    NRA Member

My normal mode of carry (appendix) works fine and is not uncomfortable when I'm on my bike. That said, that thing is an interesting option.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links