newbe question

This is a discussion on newbe question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am very new to CC and my job more or less requires I wear tucked in shirts. What type of holster would you recomend. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: newbe question

newbe question

I am very new to CC and my job more or less requires I wear tucked in shirts. What type of holster would you recomend. I carry a XD 9mm.
    Greg
    I encourage peace and carry one!

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    greg - welcome

You don't mention any over garment. So this suggests all you have is tucked in shirt. I do not myself have much faith in so called IWB ''tuckables'' but perhaps you could get away with it.

I think maybe you might have to consider a smaller carry piece and go with pocket carry - maybe even SmartCarry could work for you - it doesn't for everyone.

Then if shirt loose enough maybe an Action Direct chest defender deal - a white stretch band device with two small over shoulder support straps - gun goes in ''pocket'' under weak arm.

Give some more info tho on dress - oh and your build - this also influences options IMO.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.....like P95/Chris, I too recommend the Smart Carry holster.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    - a white stretch band device with two small over shoulder support straps -
    This sounds remarkably like a bra. Different strokes, I guess...

Greg,

I would also recommend the "Smart Carry," or possibly a good ankle rig. If you're carrying a full-size XD your deep concealment options are going to be somewhat limited, based mainly on your build, mode of dress, and tolerance for discomfort.
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final." - Bill Jordan

Thanks for the quick replies. I should have added the xd is sub compact.

Do you wear sports jackets ever - navy blazer or corduroy sport coat? That'd help a lot. By the way - welcome to CC!

Assistant Administrator
    ''- a white stretch band device with two small over shoulder support straps - '' ....... This sounds remarkably like a bra. Different strokes, I guess...
    Chris - haha - sounds odd!! In fact easiest way to visualize that is imagine a belly band but - made in white and worn high - the two small straps I reckon are just to stop it slipping down.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    +1 for smart carry. I use often, because I have to dress for work and business. Use a SW642 .38spl. or a pt140 in it. Love it.
    And it helps to keep your shirt tucked in!
    www.smartcarry.com
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

I guess I will need to rethink both my method of dressing and mode of carrying. Thank all for your advise and help.
    Greg

VIP Member
    Greg, you might want to check this thread and go down until you get to the answers by fed wif a sig. Especially look at the post with the pictures. I am still debating getting one of these myself, but he makes a very good argument for using this method.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg
    Greg, you might want to check this thread and go down until you get to the answers by fed wif a sig. Especially look at the post with the pictures. I am still debating getting one of these myself, but he makes a very good argument for using this method.
    Which thread no link?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Which thread no link?
    Senior Moment!

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ead.php?t=7233
    Last edited by dr_cmg; March 23rd, 2006 at 01:00 AM.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Can't really help with problem, but wecome anyway
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Hi!
    Welcome aboard! I will take the opposing view and advise in the strongest possible terms against Smartcarry/Thunderwear type systems. Here's why: Even highly trained and very experienced shooters undergo something called the tachy-psychia effect when involved in a real life defensive situation. There are many affects from this syndrome (a feeling of everything being in "slow motion". tunnel vision, ability to perceive incredible detail, auditory exclusion, among others). The affect that makes me VERY opposed to the afore mentioned carry systems is that the muscles in the hands/forearms involuntarily clench. This manifests itself in a fairly large number of people firing a round off as soon as they can possibly get their finger on the trigger. With these "crotch carry" methods, it means that you'll run the risk of blowing the family jewels out the seat of your pants, severing the femoral artery in your left leg and bleeding to death. This is not my idea of the optimal outcome of a defensive encounter.
    By contrast, a strong side holster will, under the same circumstances, result in your burning a butt cheek and maybe incurring a minor flesh wound. Furthermore, a strong side carry will put you in a direct line with your intended target very naturally as a part of the draw stroke. All in all, it is much safer and faster to employ.
    Please feel free to call me (423.733.1779) - we can discuss this in greater detail if you wish. Thank you and good luck!
    Last edited by Gary Brommeland; March 27th, 2006 at 10:49 AM.

I have and would use Smartcarry again if ultimate concealment was the need. There is not a more concealable system for a medium (I'm thinking Glock 27) size gun.

The gun is going to be slow to get to and telegraphed so you have to be realistic about presentation times and that drawing from the seated position is nearly impossible.

Since you have all this against you already, I carry the gun in condition 3 and do the Israeli drawstroke. It solves the problem Mr. Brommeland mentions and my family (jewels that is) sleep better at night. :)

I don't advocate this method for EDC, but it is the best for very low profile carry. Like in church, tucked dress shirt, no jacket. It protects against accidental bump frisks also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links