Smartcarry vs Other carry methods

This is a discussion on Smartcarry vs Other carry methods within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ive said it before on this board and Ill say it again, I LOVE my Smartcarry, I have never, ever, ever had my weapon fall ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Smartcarry vs Other carry methods

Smart Carry

Ive said it before on this board and Ill say it again, I LOVE my Smartcarry, I have never, ever, ever had my weapon fall out and I have never, ever had anyone suspect a thing about my carrying a gun. And I wear and sell kilts, so people are looking around my lower abdomen STUDYING my clothes and still nothing. I can wear it with anything, anywhere. Most important, I can carry the same way, every day, no need to think about where Im carrying based on a given outfit. I know where my gun is, no one else does and no one can spot it and make a grab for it.

I agree with the 11 oclock position, this works well for me too. Working on the car, moving heavy stuff, you name it.

Its stout, almost two years of wear and tear on it. Im about to order myself another.

I agree about the drawing while sitting, something to practice. I also agree with the two handed re-holstering. But IMO, however humble it may be, Im not as worried about getting it back in and I am getting it out. After an altercation it seems it would be best for the weapon to disappear. But I figure once a threat is gone one has a moment or two to re-holster.

Seriously, for the critics of this holster, I think if you try one out you'll like it.

Alex!

2. Remove Ads

I find that the SmartCarry is one of those rare products that lives up to its hype. I usually carry a S&W Model 360 M&P -- a very light 5-shot snub nosed .357Mag revolver. With the SmartCarry, I can wear it all day without becoming the least bit uncomfortable and I don't have to dress around the gun.

A great product!

Smartcarry ok with smaller frame guns?

I am seriously considering a smartcarry holster myself. Will they work just as well with a smaller frame gun like a keltec p11 or ruger lcp or will they get lost in the holster and become a nightmare to draw when you need it the most?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnWFD View Post
    I am seriously considering a smartcarry holster myself. Will they work just as well with a smaller frame gun like a keltec p11 or ruger lcp or will they get lost in the holster and become a nightmare to draw when you need it the most?
    There are different sizes. Charlie will tell you to get one sized for the largest handgun you may carry. You can then carry a smaller gun by using a safety pin to keep the gun from sitting too low. My medium-sized Smartcarry works with my Glock 19 and 26.

Tell him the gun(s) and he will tell you the size.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

SmartCarry comes in different sizes. Also, you can use a safety pin on a larger sized SmartCarry to accomodate a smaller pistol or revolver.

Let the SmartCarry folks know what make and model gun you intend to carry, and they will see that you get the proper sized SmartCarry.

Edit: I was a bit slow with my reply 10thmtn and did not see yours -- seems we think alike though...

SC best buy for the money.

I've been thru the drawer of holster syndrome. After EDC for 36 yrs now, most of them with a 1911 model of some type. The SC is the best and most comfortable and concealable holster you can buy. Like some other posters mentioned, just tell Charlie what gun you intend to carry and he will tell you what size to order online. As for left handed draw, I took care of that by ordering the ambi-model. You can carry 2 guns as both pockets are equal size. I carry (2) G30SF's in mine, so I can draw with either hand. Of course you can't use the "alternate method" since both pockets are full of guns...lol I do wear mine low as per the recommendations, and I always wear pleated dress slacks or Dockers one size larger. I also use suspenders instead of a belt. I found that I can draw from my SC without pulling away the waistband with my off hand, and get my first round COM in 1 and half seconds. Yes, that is how I dress when I go to the range, since I don't intend to roll around in the dirt..lol
    Good luck to all the new SC owners, and don't hesitate to pick one up if you've been "thinking" about getting one. They are great! Always stay safe.
    USCCA/DEFENSIVE HANDGUNS
    GSSA/NRA
    DEFENSIVE CARRY
    GLOCK TALK
    PAFOA/American Gun Owners

Thanks for all the advise on the smartcarry holster. I will give them a call once I decide what I am going to carry most of the time. It sounds like the best option to carry concealed and comfortable.

I'm not knocking them at all, I've never used them,... I was wondering how easy can they be if you have to put you hand down you pant to draw??I assume that is how that is used?> Help me understand this please?

Quote Originally Posted by TucAzRider View Post
    I'm not knocking them at all, I've never used them,... I was wondering how easy can they be if you have to put you hand down you pant to draw??I assume that is how that is used?> Help me understand this please?
    Very easy...you pull forward on your belt line with your support hand (optional), slip your firing hand into your belt line, grip the gun with your thumb and forefingers, pull the gun up past your belt line, establish a firing grip (curl your forefingers) as you push the gun toward the target.

YouTube videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gmEPDlRDH4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfW0b...eature=related

My only quibbles with the first video would be to recommend you wear your shirt tucked (faster draw), shift the gun to the 11 o'clock position (more comfortable and hides the grip better) and to recommend shifting the holster to 9 o'clock when sitting on a commode (rather than hiking it up to your waist).
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I think i am going to give this a try with my G19. I have a supertuck on order. Both come highly recommended and seem to stand behind their guarantee so i can just return the one i dont like....

...I am just a little bit more nervous to have a loaded gun in that department. Although from the looks of it the end of the barrel would be out of the "danger zone".

Maybe i am giving myself a little too much credit

I notice in all the ads that the models have slim bodies and small waists. There is no room in the abdominal area of my pants for anything, especially a handgun. For slim folks it looks like a great way to CCW.

I have used this for quite some time, and I really like it. I have the Thunder Wear( Same thing, etc...) and I use a size XS for my 32, or a pocket pistol. I also have a size M that fits the 9mm, and 40's. They are in Keltec, and Glock respectively. You can literally put it on, and forget about. I don't find myself playing with it; like I do my MTAC to "Keep it comfortable". You can keep money, wallet inside of the back pocket made into my Thunder Wear for the areas that aren't the best, or I went to Disney with it (No pistol), and kept all of my valuables with me. It can also hold quite a few knives, spare mags, or a few sets of cuffs also. It's a great product, and concept alike that serves well.

EDIT: I have tried a G23 in the size M, and I didn't care for it for extended time usage, but the G27 I have it's a " put it in and forget it" type thing.

--I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat Creeker View Post
    I notice in all the ads that the models have slim bodies and small waists. There is no room in the abdominal area of my pants for anything, especially a handgun. For slim folks it looks like a great way to CCW.
    I respectfully disagree! I am 6'3" and weigh in at 260 and am not what could be called a "slim folk" and the SmarCarry works for me wonderfully. I have used it for a little over three years (I actually have two different sized SC's) and have found it a simple, elegant, and effective way to carry concealed. Those that reject them out-of-hand on the basis of one kind or another of assumption are simply missing the boat. Particularly so, when the manufacturer offers a money back guarantee if you don't like it.

It is a great carry option. Don't miss an opportunity based on some unfounded assumption
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

I've got 2 smartcarry holsters. One I wear about 5x/week when I go to the gym. The other I wear sometimes if I do not feel like putting on my belt and IWB holster when around the house.

2 issues I have. (1) I would like the area covering the trigger guard to have an inner kydex lining. Purely safety thing. I know, I know, there are videos around of people not being able to engage the trigger when the pistol is in the smartcarry, but I would like this option, (2) What if one is stopped and the LEO decides to disarm the person. Has anyone had an officer reach inside their pants to remove a gun in a smartcarry?

Regardless of the issues, I will keep using one. Especially when I am at the gym.

some of my thoughts from someone going on over 5 years smartcarry customer.

I use my smartcarry with a Glock 27 and it works much better then with my xd45 4 inch which is comparable to Glock 23. It disappears on me. i ironed on some patches on the inside of my work pants to stop ALL printing, but even without the patch the printing was minimal and only when sitting.
    I perceived the "bump/print" more then anyone else because of my view of it. I love my Glock 27 as a perfect compromise. I love using the smartcarry with my revolver,too. I've even used it with my p3at, though I do pocket carry with that one more often.

I'm on my 3rd smartcarry unit. One is worn (5 years old), the other is 2 years old and showing some wear from daily use and the other is a medium size for my xd45.

I am a barrel shaped person. I find that it fits well. I don't have the belly that comes down but I am barrel shaped and I find that I can wear the smartcarry well. So it's not just for thin folks.

ease of draw is great. time is under 3 seconds. Long time, but I have trained to draw 100% safely and I practice it one handed draw. My finger lays beside the trigger and I grasp the grip and remove my weapon. I find my revolver is easier to do this with, but I think it's the shape of the thing.

I use a plastic lining on front and back of pocket on the inside to give extra trigger protection, but have found it not needed.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links