Smartcarry vs Other carry methods

This is a discussion on Smartcarry vs Other carry methods within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was having a problem with the safety and hammer poking my in the gut and I think I've solved that problem. First, I don't ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Smartcarry vs Other carry methods

I was having a problem with the safety and hammer poking my in the gut and I think I've solved that problem.

First, I don't cinch it up quite so tight. Then I cut the rim off of a Folgers coffee container and pinned it behind the holster portion of the Smartcarry so it would be between my gut and the hammer / safety. I also wear it at 11 o'clock. Wow! Works great! The 5" 1911A1 is a big gun to shove down your pants but you can't tell I have it on. Especially when I wear pleated pants or shorts that have a pattern.

I like the security pocket too. If I have to make a large deposit, I just put the envelope in there. Ahem, I take it out just before the tellers at the drive through see me.
    I ain't what I otta be, I ain't what I wanta be, I ain't what I could be,

But thank God, I ain't what I used to be,
    And, Praise God, I ain't what I'm gonna be!

II Cor 3:18

2. Remove Ads

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dairycreek View Post
    I respectfully disagree! I am 6'3" and weigh in at 260 and am not what could be called a "slim folk" and the SmarCarry works for me wonderfully. I have used it for a little over three years (I actually have two different sized SC's) and have found it a simple, elegant, and effective way to carry concealed. Those that reject them out-of-hand on the basis of one kind or another of assumption are simply missing the boat. Particularly so, when the manufacturer offers a money back guarantee if you don't like it.

It is a great carry option. Don't miss an opportunity based on some unfounded assumption
    +1 I'm 6'1" and about 220 pounds and my SC works great!
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

OK guys - quick question.

I tried wearing my SC at the eleven o'clock position and found my Kimber Ultra CDP II had the safety knocked off twice in less than an hour carrying that way.

For those that don't know the CDP has an ambi safety that I like as it allows me to shoot either hand. However, it appears that using the SmartCarry for this handgun is a bit dangerous. I gingerly pulled out my Kimber, and reset the safety.

Ideas?

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    OK guys - quick question.

I tried wearing my SC at the eleven o'clock position and found my Kimber Ultra CDP II had the safety knocked off twice in less than an hour carrying that way.

For those that don't know the CDP has an ambi safety that I like as it allows me to shoot either hand. However, it appears that using the SmartCarry for this handgun is a bit dangerous. I gingerly pulled out my Kimber, and reset the safety.

Ideas?

I've never run into that issue as I use mine for a Sig P229DAK which is double action only and has no safety. Do you have any idea exactly how the safety is getting knocked off?
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

I usually use my Smartcarry when I wear board shorts in the summer. When I get a smaller gun I might try jogging with it on as well.

How extra big do you have to buy your pants if you use a smart carry?

NOT a chance. When ya to the mens room...do ya ever pee on it??
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

Quote Originally Posted by 1911PKR View Post
    Not yet at least!

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Quote Originally Posted by puncho View Post
    How extra big do you have to buy your pants if you use a smart carry?
    No increase. Just don't cinch your belt extra tight. Suck in your gut and reach in. It's about as quick as any other draw method with practice. Reholstering is a little slower but with practice, you can push it right back in.
    I ain't what I otta be, I ain't what I wanta be, I ain't what I could be,

But thank God, I ain't what I used to be,
    And, Praise God, I ain't what I'm gonna be!

II Cor 3:18

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    I have a question for you guys about the smartcarry -- my Sig doesn't have any external safeties. And though the trigger pull is about 7lbs every time, I'm worried that the SC doesn't have a trigger guard like my Fobus holster. I know this is probably a silly question, but is there a high likelihood that like, I'll sit wrong, or one of the dogs I train will jump up on me, and suddenly BLAMMO?
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Just about nil, Bunny... I carry a Sig 220... trigger is completely covered...

Remember, the barrel points down, so a pooch's claw would have to penetrate your pants, then penetrate the SmartCarry (thicker and heavier than any jeans I have), and then pull the trigger upward...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    I have a question for you guys about the smartcarry -- my Sig doesn't have any external safeties. And though the trigger pull is about 7lbs every time, I'm worried that the SC doesn't have a trigger guard like my Fobus holster. I know this is probably a silly question, but is there a high likelihood that like, I'll sit wrong, or one of the dogs I train will jump up on me, and suddenly BLAMMO?
    Not really. I carry a Glock, and have a child that likes to jump on me. Just to be extra extra careful, I added a piece of sheet plastic inside the Smartcarry pocket, to add a stiff extra layer between the trigger and the "outside world." Not really needed, but it doesn't hurt, so why not?
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911PKR View Post
    Nope... you just pull it up around your belly button... TCB, and push it back down...

I guess you could pee on it, if you have really bad aim... but with aim that bad, you shouldn't have a pistol....
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

If you're doin' #1, just shift it over to the left a bit.

If you're doin' #2, I shift it over to 9 o'clock, pull it up, and cover it up with my shirt, so no one peeking into the stall sees "man with a gun!!" No chance of dropping your gun into the toilet or onto the floor, where it can go skittering across the room - the gun stays in the holster the whole time. One of the nice things about this holster!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Hi Bunny,
    I'm using a variant of the Smartcarry for my HK P7 and I feel very secure when my two dogs jump on me. I'll be ordering the official SC fairly soon. I like the design better than my expensive leather rigs, as it's just plain simple.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links