Smartcarry vs Other carry methods - Page 4

Smartcarry vs Other carry methods

This is a discussion on Smartcarry vs Other carry methods within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by PointnClick Nope... you just pull it up around your belly button... TCB, and push it back down... I guess you could pee ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Smartcarry vs Other carry methods

Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    Nope... you just pull it up around your belly button... TCB, and push it back down...

I guess you could pee on it, if you have really bad aim... but with aim that bad, you shouldn't have a pistol....
    (Snort!!!) Coffee through the nose never feels good!
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    I have a question for you guys about the smartcarry -- my Sig doesn't have any external safeties. And though the trigger pull is about 7lbs every time, I'm worried that the SC doesn't have a trigger guard like my Fobus holster. I know this is probably a silly question, but is there a high likelihood that like, I'll sit wrong, or one of the dogs I train will jump up on me, and suddenly BLAMMO?
    I carry my Sig P229DAK in mine and it's completely safe. No way anyone or anything is going to easily get to the trigger but you. My guess is that a SmartCarry is probably a great option for women.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

I've been wearing a Smartcarry for the better part of the last two month. My primary carry firearm is a Glock 26. I also carry a spare magazine in my Smartcarry holster the majority of the time as well.

You can't do wrong by buying a Smartcarry holster!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Quote Originally Posted by CEW58 View Post
    My guess is that a SmartCarry is probably a great option for women.
    Only issue with women and the Smartcarry is that women's clothing thends to be much more form fitting than clothing for us guys. That makes printing more of an issue for the ladies.

However, with the right clothing, it can work very well. For example, I would imagine it would work well with a loose pleated skirt, or looser pants or shorts. If you insist on wearing painted-on jeans, well, maybe not so much.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Local guy opened a shop and had great prices on Smartcarry because he bought in bulk. I though why not, so I picked one up for my G26 and 642. Not my favorite rig, but sure nice when you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Only issue with women and the Smartcarry is that women's clothing thends to be much more form fitting than clothing for us guys. That makes printing more of an issue for the ladies.

However, with the right clothing, it can work very well. For example, I would imagine it would work well with a loose pleated skirt, or looser pants or shorts. If you insist on wearing painted-on jeans, well, maybe not so much.
    True, you have to dress right, but that's true of just about any CC option. IWB is usually a problem for most women, and personally I don't think fannypacks or purse carry is a good option. Too easy to get separated from your weapon.

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    Nope... you just pull it up around your belly button... TCB, and push it back down...

I guess you could pee on it, if you have really bad aim... but with aim that bad, you shouldn't have a pistol....
    A man will pee on alotta things,but his pistol isnt one of them...no way...:)

had me confused for a sec...

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    No increase. Just don't cinch your belt extra tight. Suck in your gut and reach in. It's about as quick as any other draw method with practice. Reholstering is a little slower but with practice, you can push it right back in.
    For a second I wasnt sure if he was addressing the peeing issue or a draw issue (of which weapon one might ask).

I won't stop racing when I get old, I will get old when I stop racing

NRA Life, Master Mason, Jack-of-All-Trades (Master of None)

I like my sc/tw for at least several reasons, not all politically correct-
    1) comfort for all day (12-14 hours at a shot)
    2) ease of draw for a deep concealment rig
    3) arm security/retention (please, not the little arm!)
    4) Most men dont look at crotch, so IMO less noticeability
    5) Women who look at crotches think... wow!
    4) hugging your relatives produces results
    5) makes my package look bigger!
    6) Nore more drawers full of holsters that didnt work out, two of these cover most of what I can stick in them.

There's also a few knock-offs of the Smart Carrry, see alot of them on ebay! i think they're called Invisable Carry and LightningWear..anyone tried these?

SmartCarry is good IMO. I know I missed this thread in the earlier days, but now it's here on prime time in front of me. Best alternative to SmartCarry? Well, let's look first at what you're carrying.......I carry Glocks. I like appendix carry actually, and maybe 5% of my daily carry is appendix one way or another. Granted, the SmartCarry is a bit slower (or maybe more than a bit depending). We must work with what works best with what we've got, or under certain conditions. SmartCarry for me is deep concealment, or an excellent alternative when you're not wearing your normal attire (like at the gym in sweats instead of pants with belt). My alternative and 'quicky' method that is just about equivalent to the SmartCarry won't be looked upon highly on this forum, but I do it often enough to make it worth mentioning. It may very well be faster, and my reputation may even be at stake for saying so since I've always advised to carry with chamber loaded. But the best alternative for me is to simply tuck one of my Glocks in my pants (with belt of course).......chamber empty and trigger back in what has been termed as 'Mexican style'....Glock with full mag, chamber empty, between my jeans and underwear. Very simple, and may take less time to rack the slide and chamber a round than it might from the best position of the SmartCarry loaded. You heard it right. One thing I would suggest is that you be very adept with the ways you carry, and how and when you choose to carry in what way. Thing is, you do what you must in any given situation, and it requires diligence, modularity, adaptability, safety, and the cold hard facts of knowing that you would never go anywhere unarmed where you are legal to do so. And that's the bottom line with no compromise. I just do what I have to do when I need to do it.

Ram Rod - If I understand you correctly, you normally carry your Glock in a holster with a round chambered...but sometimes you Mexican carry with an empty chamber.

How will you remember whether or not you need to rack the slide while under stress? Or, do you always practice racking the slide, regardless (in which case you may eject a perfectly usable round)?

You can do what you want, but I strongly advise folks to carry the same gun (or at least one with the same action and controls), in the same position on their body, regardless of clothing or circumstances. Under stress, most folks resort to their default "usual" way of doing things. The idea that you will "remember" to do something different or out of your usual routine while under stress is, IMHO, setting yourself up for failure. Consistency is key.

The Smartcarry is the only holster that works for me all the time. Thus, it is what I use, all the time - even if I could use something else (while in casual dress, for example). I like to keep things consistent. (as far as comfort - I've worn one for 36 hours straight, including sleeping with it on)

If you use the Smartcarry with your shirt tucked in, I can virtually guarantee you that the draw will be faster than having to rack the slide on a Mexican-carried pistol, since you eliminate the need to clear a cover garment and then rack the slide. And, you get +1 round of ammo. Try it for yourself and see - if you haven't already.

Thanks for the thought-provoking post!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

OK...question...been wearing mine for a week now. It is comfortable when I'm standing or walking but no matter what I try, it is terribly uncomfortable sitting: 1:00, 12:00, 11:00, high, medium, low. (at the 11:00 position, absolutely disappears)I'm a bit pudgy but working on it (6', 215 lbs). The tang area of my P9 jabs when sitting down.

Suggestions?

Senior Moderator
    I have been using a Smartcarry everyday for about 2 years

It is the best genearl use holster I own
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

ditto
    I find it hard to use anything else now.
    10thmtn reminded me of a good point regarding training and the habit to return to your core training... which in my case was for a primary weapon (686 revolver) in an Alessi belt holster (not concealed), and a SOB inside waist berreta (22/32), and/or alternately a chief in ankle holster. This was defensive training. Also did a stint offensively training with the 1911, again OC alessi strong side. My point is that 10thmtn has me thinking I need to really hit the training again with my smartcarry/thunderware p232 to build more memory lest I get in a stress situation and start pawing around my hip for the non-existant 686 or 1911. Funny how that memory stuff works. Thanks for the jog. You really do end up doing what you practice. For me, I need to start drawing and dry firing from concealement every night for the next 10 weeks in different positions, then progress to the field and get myself into a structured class with some pressure/reality check with the same weapon and holsetr before I really start to feel decent about my carry status.
    Thanks go to you guys.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links