Smartcarry vs Other carry methods - Page 5

Smartcarry vs Other carry methods

This is a discussion on Smartcarry vs Other carry methods within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ordered on Wednesday. Received on Saturday. Awesome service. Now to figure how best to wear it. I am a pretty fit guy. In the shorts ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Smartcarry vs Other carry methods

Ordered on Wednesday. Received on Saturday. Awesome service.

Now to figure how best to wear it. I am a pretty fit guy. In the shorts I have on today, I do not think I am hiding it very well. Will keep working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanR View Post
    OK...question...been wearing mine for a week now. It is comfortable when I'm standing or walking but no matter what I try, it is terribly uncomfortable sitting: 1:00, 12:00, 11:00, high, medium, low. (at the 11:00 position, absolutely disappears)I'm a bit pudgy but working on it (6', 215 lbs). The tang area of my P9 jabs when sitting down.

Suggestions?
    When I sit, I sometimes push down on the back of the slide just to keep the back of the frame from poking me. You could also stick an iron-on patch or even some duct tape to the inside of your shirt (assuming the shirt is tucked in) to give you a bit of cushioning.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

10thmtn -- you make a compelling case for Smarthcarry (for my J-frame snubbie); will def look into it.

2nd Amendment Democrat
    Vietnam Vet
    Dist. Life Member NRA

PS: Thank you for your service with such a distinguished unit. Our exec was a WWII vet (Italy 10th Mtn) -- he was was finishing up his career as I was starting mine. Our CO landed at Normandy on D-Day (spl signal ops with the Commanchie codetalkers). -- I was proud and honored to serve with men of such distinction and military heritage

I went to a doctor's appointment today. I was able to excuse myself to the restroom, remove the Smartcarry with my Glock 26 and spare mag still in it, and discreetly put the whole rig into my briefcase. Easy on, easy off...safe, discreet, and quick!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

As much as I like the SmartCarry, I found it simply won't work with my Kimber Ultra CDP II because of the ambi safety. I was constantly pulling out my pistola to find the safety OFF. Not a good idea for a gun in one's pants. I am back to exclusively using my SuperTuck.

I really like the SmartCarry design and customer service is top notch. If you have an ambi safety - watch out!
    Last edited by MadMac; September 16th, 2009 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    discreetly put the whole rig into my briefcase.
    A briefcase?????

You cheated!!!

My wife and I were talking about the holster question this weekend after visiting the gun store. We happened to get the CHL instructor at the shop when we were looking at the G23 vs G27 for size and I asked him about the ramifications of printing/exposing in Texas.

On the way home we started talking about ankle holsters also. Smartcarry is sounding better.

printing exposing. Very key issue in some states/municipalities, and especially so if you choose to be armed in places that would prefer you to be unarmed.
    Keep your mind open, research, then try a solution and see if it works for you in face of your unique circumstances.
    my $0.02

I won't stop racing when I get old, I will get old when I stop racing

NRA Life, Master Mason, Jack-of-All-Trades (Master of None)

Quote Originally Posted by 1980Maico440 View Post
    printing exposing. Very key issue in some states/municipalities, and especially so if you choose to be armed in places that would prefer you to be unarmed.
    Keep your mind open, research, then try a solution and see if it works for you in face of your unique circumstances.
    my $0.02
    Thanks. I'm leaning toward the Smart Carry now and I'm going to try IWB around the house to see how it conceals. My CCW class is in 2 weeks. It sounds like I'll have some time to figure out how to carry between the class and the arrival of my license! :-)

Smart Carry is great. Have one for my S&W 625 .44 4" barrel and it works for my glock 21 though a bit big and I have one for my baby desert eagle .45 that with a few minor adjustments with clothespins I can fit my g30 in.

They are great holsters.

I still prefer my crossbreed supertuck, qwikclip, and snapslide for my glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ810 View Post
    My wife and I were talking about the holster question this weekend after visiting the gun store. We happened to get the CHL instructor at the shop when we were looking at the G23 vs G27 for size and I asked him about the ramifications of printing/exposing in Texas.

On the way home we started talking about ankle holsters also. Smartcarry is sounding better.
    I would not go with a ankle holster for a glock unless you are a big dude. I do have a ankle holster for my g30 but you have to be big to cover up the print. A smaller glock may not be a big of as problem but glocks remind me of blocks and they like to print.

Anyway go with what your most comfortable with and if you end not liking your smartcarry they will take it back.

fwiw-
    saw an ankle holster the other day on a GG (?) in a store as it had slid down and was jamming the top of his tennis shoe. Eeek! How embarasing! It was all I could do to not walk over and ask him what kind of prosethesis he had.
    Check out the forums here for other stories and anedotal considerations.
    Myself, the various ankle holsters in my "spare" holster collection is a testament to -
    1) a skinny guy like me doesnt give up easy trying ankle holsters that still print like mad unless I wear balloon pants from my disco days in the 70's.
    2) Every ankle holster I own is comfortable for about 2 hours, then by 8 hours my leg is numb and a good observer can spot it turning purple from about 50 ft.
    3) In my application and situation and body type (tall and skinny), I just dont see a suave or practical way to retrieve my weapon without an extended period of fumbling with my pant leg using both hands, and often diverting my attention to the dang rig to extract it when I should be watching the BG.

There is a thread here somewhere with a palcard for spotting tells of a person with a CW. It is interesting to note there is not one tell listed for a smartcarry/thunderwear. Hope to see one soon that doesnt make me laugh till it hurts (a big package, a woody, happy to see me etc).

Sure, your experience and situation will likely be different, so go with your own experiment/experience. Just my $0.02
    Last edited by 1980Maico440; October 6th, 2009 at 08:00 PM. Reason: still cannot type worth a hoot!

I won't stop racing when I get old, I will get old when I stop racing

NRA Life, Master Mason, Jack-of-All-Trades (Master of None)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Sponsored Links