Smartcarry vs Other carry methods

This is a discussion on Smartcarry vs Other carry methods within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Having tried pocket carry, fanny packs, tuckable IWB holsters, and holster T shirts, I’ve found that the Smartcarry holster works best for me. In no ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Smartcarry vs Other carry methods

Smartcarry vs Other carry methods

Having tried pocket carry, fanny packs, tuckable IWB holsters, and holster T shirts, I’ve found that the Smartcarry holster works best for me.

In no particular order, here’s what I like about it:

Reasonable price – includes holster, mag carrier, and belt all in one

Good quality

Great customer service

Holster is readily available - no waiting

Money-back guarantee

One holster fits all my guns – saves money

No need to buy larger sized pants – saves money

All day comfort (I wear mine at the 11 o’clock position, with the bottom of the gun’s grip centered on the pants zipper line – the gun sits on top of my thigh when I sit down)

Very secure – gun stays put

Fast draw – no need to sweep away or untuck a cover garment, and the gun is in front of you, so hand movement is minimized (no need to reach around to your hip)

Neater appearance, since you can tuck your shirt behind the holster – this also minimizes the chance of snagging your draw

You can draw easily with either hand (to draw with my left hand, I just insert my left hand into my waist palm-out, grab the grip and draw) – this is a great advantage if one of your hands is injured or busy fending off an attack

Gun stays dry even on hot, sweaty days

Your gun is utterly concealed – no chance of a “bump frisk” or flashing your gun

You can conceal a gun even without a shirt on

No concern about dropping your gun while sitting on a public commode – gun stays in the holster the whole time

To be fair, the cons are:

Draw is a bit slow while seated – you need to first pop up out of your seat a bit

Re-holstering is slow and requires two hands

I added a piece of sheet plastic into the gun pouch to be absolutely certain nothing could possibly get to my Glock’s trigger – not really necessary, just a personal preference

What I didn’t like about the other methods I tried:

Pocket carry – limits you to a small gun, gun can be visible from behind in pants with shallow pockets, can only draw with one hand, takes up a pocket (plus another for a spare mag)

Fanny pack – too obvious, cannot use it with a business suit

Tuckable IWB holster – need to buy larger pants ($$$), a gun belt ($), and figure out a way to carry a spare mag, looks like I have a tumor, need to untuck shirt before the draw (which can be a problem with long-tailed dress shirts)

Holster T shirts – sloooow draw, too hot in the Summer, risk of getting “bump frisked” when folks give you a hug (happened to me)

So there you have it – feedback from someone who has tried a bunch of carry methods, and decided on the Smartcarry!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

2. Remove Ads

I have been thinking about trying one to carry my S&W 642, just dont know how I'll like it.

I agree totally with your assesment of SC. However, I have not tried to draw with the weak hand. Thanks for sparking this question to me.

dieselvrr....my favorite carry gun in the SC was my 642 snubbie. I say WAS because my wife just took it away from me as her carry gun. Rats...
    I had my Kimber Ultra CDP in the SC last night during the 4th celebration and was at ease all night. No worries, no problems, no discomfort. Just the piece of mind in knowing that I had a firearm if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by dieselvrr View Post
    I have been thinking about trying one to carry my S&W 642, just dont know how I'll like it.
    Don't forget the 30 day moneyback guarantee. Charles Parrott stands 100% behind his product. I have 2 Smartcarry's and will likely get a 3rd. I needed an extra wide to fit my L-frame .357 Nightguard. It is the best, most comfortable, and practiclal method of carry that I have tried in 25 years of having a permit. Trust me, you can't go wrong. The biggest critics have never even put one on. It does not matter, repeat, does not matter how you dress, the SmartCarry will conform, and remain undetected.

The SmartCarry is actually a dark blue, I edited the photos to make them brighter, thus, easier to see. Cell phone pics, no flash.

SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters

Ive been wanting to try a smartcarry. I think i need to get a little smaller gun first though. I carry a glock 23 now. Im looking at a 27. I think it will be perfect for deep concealment.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Also, no shirt required... I went to the beach in shorts and flip-flops and got a little sun on the 4th... still totally concealed.

Also, there have been a few threads in the last few days about holster wear on gun finishes... nothing is kinder to a gun's finish than a SmartCarry.

And as I mentioned a couple of days ago in another thread, you don't have to wear it in the pants... I wear mine outside the pants and covered with an untucked Hawaiian shirt about 80% of the time... even faster draw.

And lounging around the house, it is incredibly comfortable... I spin mine around to the 3 o'clock position and it is effortless to carry a full-sized Sig .45...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

You mentioned wearing yours at 11 o'clock and resting on your left thigh when sitting. Thanks! I didn't think of that. Which gun are you wearing with it? I'll try that right now. I am carrying a full size 1911A1 and sitting is my only problem with it. I need to lose some of this spare tire.
    I ain't what I otta be, I ain't what I wanta be, I ain't what I could be,

But thank God, I ain't what I used to be,
    And, Praise God, I ain't what I'm gonna be!

II Cor 3:18

Yea...I gotta lose a bit of my survival food supply too!

I carry a Glock 26. No beavertail to poke me! But, Charlie at Smartcarry (and lots of others) do carry 1911s in Smartcarrys.

Low and left works better for me than the "approved" way of using it. Many call this the "alternate Smartcarry method."

Hope this helps!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Yea...I gotta lose a bit of my survival food supply too!

I carry a Glock 26. No beavertail to poke me! But, Charlie at Smartcarry (and lots of others) do carry 1911s in Smartcarrys.

Low and left works better for me than the "approved" way of using it. Many call this the "alternate Smartcarry method."

Hope this helps!
    Just put it on. Wow! A lot more comfortable! I'm sitting at my desk and it's sitting at 11 o'clock, gun on top of my left thigh. The beavertail is more to the left and very low, so it doesn't poke me and it conceals even better than before.

Now I like my Smartcarry even better. Thanks! Why didn't I think of a simple solution like that before?

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    IWB - looks like I have a tumor
    LOL, "It's not a tumor!"
    YouTube - IT'S NOT A TUMOR!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gibber View Post
    dieselvrr....my favorite carry gun in the SC was my 642 snubbie. I say WAS because my wife just took it away from me as her carry gun. Rats...
    I had my Kimber Ultra CDP in the SC last night during the 4th celebration and was at ease all night. No worries, no problems, no discomfort. Just the piece of mind in knowing that I had a firearm if needed.
    OK, I'll definatly give it a try. Whats the best place to order one? Direct from site?

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Maybe that's why I stopped spending so much time (money!) here... . I've been reading about these for some time. Finally decided to take the plunge and place an order.

Called for some info, Charlie answered and patiently took care of my questions. To save some time, I went to the website to order (yep, AFAIK, it's the best place to buy). Opted for the $2 upgrade to Priority Mail, and he said if I got the order in this morning, it should ship tomorrow (though I forgot to tell him it was left hand, hope that's in stock). If it is, should be here Thurs. or Fri.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

I use my SmartCarry most of the times I carry either my S&W 642 or Glock 26. I can wear a shirt tucked or untucked with it and don't have to worry about buying new pants to accommodate it. I have started wearing mine in about the 3 - 3:30 position - works almost like an IWB when I do that - and have pretty fast draw times. I wonder if anyone else had had any luck or problems using the SmartCarry in this position?

Overall it has been my best holster purchase and I will get another.
    Glock 26, Ruger LCR, Glock 19
    Non curo. Si metrum non habet, non est poema. "I don't care. If it doesn't rhyme, it isn't a poem."

Quote Originally Posted by bameroni View Post
    I use my SmartCarry most of the times I carry either my S&W 642 or Glock 26. I can wear a shirt tucked or untucked with it and don't have to worry about buying new pants to accommodate it. I have started wearing mine in about the 3 - 3:30 position - works almost like an IWB when I do that - and have pretty fast draw times. I wonder if anyone else had had any luck or problems using the SmartCarry in this position?

Overall it has been my best holster purchase and I will get another.
    3 o'clock eh? Does it stick out above your belt?

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    3 o'clock eh? Does it stick out above your belt?
    Well it can if I place it above the belt. I sometimes where it above there and other times covered. The great thing is that it's so close to my side that it's almost undetectable. It's also quick to locate and draw even with in untucked polo or tee shirt.
    Glock 26, Ruger LCR, Glock 19
    Non curo. Si metrum non habet, non est poema. "I don't care. If it doesn't rhyme, it isn't a poem."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links