J Frame IWB Holster Suggestions?

This is a discussion on J Frame IWB Holster Suggestions? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all- Newbie question, and yes I tried the search function. I have a snubbie S&W 442 I would like to carry more comfortably IWB. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J Frame IWB Holster Suggestions?

J Frame IWB Holster Suggestions?

Hey all-

Newbie question, and yes I tried the search function. I have a snubbie S&W 442 I would like to carry more comfortably IWB. I have a pocket holster from Uncle Mike's that works fine but I would like another option. I also have a generic suede IWB holster I got at the uniform store, I have had a baby Glock in it and my snubbie (not at the same time ) and it gets the job done but is fairly uncomfortable. I found that the grip dug into my, ahemm, couple extra pounds. I think a IWB holster with some kind of paddle behind the grip would be more comfortable, maybe leather. Anyone seen anything like this? I am looking for comfort, I really don't care if it's pretty.

Thanks in advance, and great forum!!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    I carry my 642 in a Milt Sparks VMII, it is very comfortable. If you call them early tomorrow you will only have to wait 6 more months for it to arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    I carry my 642 in a Milt Sparks VMII, it is very comfortable. If you call them early tomorrow you will only have to wait 6 more months for it to arrive.
    Must be a damn nice holster!! Looks like a great product, I am guessing it keeps the weapon off the skin, I will be wearing a tee shirt un-tucked most of the time.

Here, try Fist...economical, quality holsters, and only a 4-6 week wait.

HOLSTERS

You won't be disappointed.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

These are all very good looking holsters, I can tell they are way nicer than the $20 "pouch" I have right now. They all seem to leave the grip totally exposed though. I am looking for something that leaves the grip above the belt line, but has leather between the grip and my body. I would prefer to carry just behind my right hip, I think it's called the 4:30 position? Am I just going to have to wear two tee shirts and get a decent IWB holster to replace my junk pouch?
    http://i19.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/9f/67/cfde_1.JPG

FIST, INC.

^^anything like this for the J Frame? I am NOT looking for cross draw, too big/to inflexible for that. Notice the leather between the weapon and the body? Anyone seen a smaller version for the J frame?

Distinguished Member
    That's how I usually carry also, I am on the medium side, not much of a handle yet and welcome to the forum.

VIP Member

MLC
    ditto on the above post. i keep going back to don hume holsters, outstanding product for the money. only down side is wait times my be a little long right now.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MLC View Post
    ditto on the above post. i keep going back to don hume holsters, outstanding product for the money. only down side is wait times my be a little long right now.

You can say that again.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    You might also try HBE leatherworks. He can make you a IWB holster with the options you want such as a sweatshield to prevent that rubbing. You will find that most good holsters are far above $20 but tend to possess classic craftsmanship and superb looks. I paid Eric about $130 for mine, but it is exactly what I wanted. You might also try UBG Holsters and Brigade Gun Leather.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Distinguished Member
    I just bought a P9, it is very thin and light, two thing that you associate with IWB holster comfort. I didn't want to wait 6 months before I could wear the pistol so I ordered a Don Hume PCCH holster. It was in stock and I received it in just over a week. But it is the most uncomfortable holster that I have every worn. I would rather carry my heavy ss compact 1911 or my thick G23 all day than my thin, light P9 in that holster. I ordered a VMII for it last Thursday. I will probably not use that pistol until I get it. I have another Hume OWB holster for my 1911 that works fine for that pistol.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    You might also try HBE leatherworks. He can make you a IWB holster with the options you want such as a sweatshield to prevent that rubbing. You will find that most good holsters are far above $20 but tend to possess classic craftsmanship and superb looks. I paid Eric about $130 for mine, but it is exactly what I wanted. You might also try UBG Holsters and Brigade Gun Leather.
    You CANNOT go wrong with an HBE . Eric makes the best out there IMO and he stands 100% behind his work. I have 5 of them and there all great! They last a LONG time and stay rock solid. Worth every penny for a quality holster. If you buy one I'll bet you a "C" note you'll be back for another.

Wait is only 4-6 weeks!

SG

H.B.E. Specialty LeatherWorks
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Quote Originally Posted by GoISU View Post
    FIST, INC.

^^anything like this for the J Frame? I am NOT looking for cross draw, too big/to inflexible for that. Notice the leather between the weapon and the body? Anyone seen a smaller version for the J frame?
    Open this same Fist page scroll to the bottom...hit back, view the individual holsters by number (you'll find what you are looking for)...some have the body protectors, some have to have it added.
    See Options and Alterations...

See (my preferences) #2A strong side, or #41 worn over the kidney not the spine.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoISU View Post
    These are all very good looking holsters, I can tell they are way nicer than the $20 "pouch" I have right now. They all seem to leave the grip totally exposed though. I am looking for something that leaves the grip above the belt line, but has leather between the grip and my body. I would prefer to carry just behind my right hip, I think it's called the 4:30 position? Am I just going to have to wear two tee shirts and get a decent IWB holster to replace my junk pouch?
    http://i19.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/9f/67/cfde_1.JPG
    Very few holsters will have leather between much of the grip and you. Most with sweat shields or body guards will provide leather only between the gun's metal surfaces and adjacent grip area and you.

A prime reason for this is, with leather backing the grip, you may not be able to obtain a proper full firing combat grip on initial contact with your side arm.

One exception as holsters go for the leather behind the grip is Crossbreed. Their leather backer covers at least a good portion of the grip (read their FAQ on the "Combat Cut" option, which is something you do NOT want based on what you say you're looking for, though I usually advise anyone to get the cut, in your case comfort seems to dictate no).
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links