Safariland 6378 with ALS Review

This is a discussion on Safariland 6378 with ALS Review within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alright, as many of you might remember I was thinking of purchasing a Safariland holster. Well, I finally purchased one and my holster collection has ...

Thread: Safariland 6378 with ALS Review

Safariland 6378 with ALS Review

Alright, as many of you might remember I was thinking of purchasing a Safariland holster. Well, I finally purchased one and my holster collection has now doubled (only up to two so far)! I know this is no beautiful custom leather holster, but when I was looking at getting this holster I was hard pressed to find any information out there about it. Now I've only had it a few days and only worn it around the house, but figured this is a good place to start.

Starting off with how it looks, I love it. I don't own a blackhawk serpa holster, but just by looking at the two, I like safariland better. It doesn't have any buttons on the outside, which is nice. Also, the ALS release lever is very low profile on the inside of the holster as you can see in the pictures. I was wondering about this because of worrying about accidentally pushing it, but I don't see that happening.

The inside of the holster is covered in a thin suede material, which is nice for the gun's finish. I opted for the paddle design, but it also comes with a belt attachment to switch out. I've found the paddle useful for attaching to a pair of beltless shorts while sitting on the couch at night. It sags a little, but at least my gun is always on my person. As far as riding close to my person, I'll let the pictures show. I don't have a nice custom pancake leather holster to compare too, but I would assume that a leather holster would ride much higher and tighter to the body. But I figured this would be a good holster for carrying out in the woods or perhaps open carry if the need/want ever came about.

The gun fits nice and tight inside the holster and while it can be adjusted, I didn't need to do any of this as far as I could tell. The ALS system at first is a little tight, but just after a few draws it loosens up a little, but not too much. It still takes a deliberate manipulation of the lever and a good pull to get the gun out. I find the draw and manipulation of the ALS lever to be extremely natural. The locking system works great and the gun does not budge without activating the release lever. I pulled pretty hard on the gun without the lever to test a bit and it seemed well done. Now I didn't put everything I had in it, but I didn't want to take a chance in wasting $50, perhaps I'll save that test for someone else or a later date. But I predict it will hold up just fine to some tug-of-war.

I won't be carrying this a whole bunch, since it's summer and I don't open carry here in Alabama. But I am heading to TN to visit with the folks next weekend and will be using this holster while out and about on their land in the mountains. I have not decided if I'll open carry while in town there or not.

Like I mentioned I have some pictures of this holster below and if anyone has any questions about it, let me know. It was down between a blackhawk and this safariland for me. What really put me towards safariland was that a serpa was not offered for a compact M&P and I didn't want to take a band saw to a new holster.

Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

2. Remove Ads

I personally am an advocate of Safariland I have three of their rigs...the ydont make great concealment rigs, but for OC and general purpose range rigs they are the best, and very secure. I have the 6281 SLS for my G23, a 618 thumbbreak paddle and a an open top paddle. Love all of them, when I need them. Congrats on your new rig.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I'm a big fan of the ALS system. Got one for my M9 and it works great. I just wish they'd come out with a model for a 1911+ surefire. Glad you're satisfied.
    --Dave

"Mr. Bobby, there's no smoking in here."
    "It's alright darlin, I'm a volunteer fireman."

I recently picked one up for a Glock 19 and am also quite impressed with it. I use the belt loops, as a paddle holster with retention does not really make a lot of sense to me. I have heard Safariland makes a shoulder holster rig for the ALS holster, has anyone tried it?

Nice looking holster, but I'm sure that you're going to want to have that locking system well-tuned in the muscle memory department.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Nice looking holster, but I'm sure that you're going to want to have that locking system well-tuned in the muscle memory department.
    yeah, I've been drawing with it when I wear it around the house. I won't be wearing this out in public though, can't open carry so it's not much of an option.

However, it seems that the press of the button almost comes naturally with the draw. When you go to wrap your hand around the grip your thumb naturally falls on the lever. That's not to say it doesn't need to be practiced though, because like everything else, it does.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Links