Problems with my belt or my holster?

This is a discussion on Problems with my belt or my holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, I am having a carry issue that needs to be resolved. I am unsure if the problem lies in my gun belt or ...

Thread: Problems with my belt or my holster?

Hi all, I am having a carry issue that needs to be resolved. I am unsure if the problem lies in my gun belt or the holster I'm trying out. My belt is a Wild Bill gun belt and seems to want to do it's own thing. My pants seem to be pulled out in the back to conform to the belt rather than the belt conforming to my body. Is this because it hasn't been broken in yet? Could leather conditioner possibly help? I carry a Glock 19 just behind my right hip and although I pull my belt tight, the weight of the gun still seems to pull my rig downwards. The holster is a K&D Laredo Defender OWB holster. This is very uncomfortable and I'd like to hear any ideas of what I could be doing incorrectly please!

your belt is brand new.
    give it a few weeks........

if CC was comfortable, everyone would do it. (I could not resist)
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Administrator

Please don't put leather conditioner on your gun belt. You'll ruin it.
    If anything...pull it tighter.

If your belt was cut straight when it arrived it will eventually conform to your body. It will begin to curve along its length.

Let me borrow this (below) from the Milt Sparks web-site since M. Sparks is about the only gun belt maker that I am aware of that pre-cuts their gunbelts on a graceful curve in order to eliminate that initial weirdness of a stiff and stubborn leather gun belt.

All credit to T. Kanaly Pres. M. Sparks Gunleather.
    Milt Sparks Holsters
    Leather belts:

"Did you ever notice how an old favorite broken-in belt has a slight curve to it? Andy Anderson did some 30-odd years ago and introduced the contoured gunbelt as part of his then state of the art gunfighter rigs. We have been cutting our belts on a contour since Milt first began making belts to go with his holsters more than 30 years ago. The reason becomes apparent the minute you put it on. Comfort."

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Please don't put leather conditioner on your gun belt. You'll ruin it.
    If anything...pull it tighter.

If your belt was cut straight when it arrived it will eventually conform to your body. It will begin to curve along its length.

Let me borrow this (below) from the Milt Sparks web-site since M. Sparks is about the only gun belt maker that I am aware of that pre-cuts their gunbelts on a graceful curve in order to eliminate that initial weirdness of a stiff and stubborn leather gun belt.

All credit to T. Kanaly Pres. M. Sparks Gunleather.
    Milt Sparks Holsters
    Leather belts:

"Did you ever notice how an old favorite broken-in belt has a slight curve to it? Andy Anderson did some 30-odd years ago and introduced the contoured gunbelt as part of his then state of the art gunfighter rigs. We have been cutting our belts on a contour since Milt first began making belts to go with his holsters more than 30 years ago. The reason becomes apparent the minute you put it on. Comfort."
    I will try to be patient but if I pull this thing any tighter, I won't be able to breathe! I was measured for this belt by the makers assistant so I know the size is correct. It's just not comfortable at all because it's so insanely stiff. Is there anything at all I can do to speed up the process?

The problem is worse with women's shapes. It's those darn hips we hate to look at so much! The pre-curved belt is a wonderful idea. I'd suggest wearing your belt all the time, with or without the holster, to get it to fit YOUR shape. All the best leathercrafters condemn conditioners or softeners on their belts.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Make sure it's a gun 'appropriate' belt, and tighten it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Where are your belt loops located? My ex-wife had a lot of issues with her more fashionable jeans that had belt loops at 1:30/11:30, 2:45/10:45, and 12:00. not enough support, even with good belts at the 3:00 or 3:30 position.

Good luck, keep on carrying.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Make sure it's a gun 'appropriate' belt, and tighten it.
    It's a Wild Bill gun belt which I purchased at the local gun show. This guy's belts are carried at the local range where we shoot IDPA so I'd sure hope it was an "Appropriate" belt.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    I wonder if this also could be related to the cut of your jeans? Ladies are all shaped differently, some makers have many different styles to help fit a greater number of women.

Perhaps jeans that fit you everywhere else but with a smaller waist may be in order (maybe yours could be altered). I won't be so crass as to suggest you post a pic. I might suggest you wear the jeans and belt to visit a local tailor for their input though. Just a though.
    Last edited by T Bone; July 7th, 2009 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Substituted a better word
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

I never thought about the belt loops but that does make sense. It can be difficult for a woman to find clothing with belt loops that actually support a belt! Now that I think about it, I haven't had such problems when wearing my jeans but More summer clothing like shorts. However, I am not used to carrying the Glock 19 either.

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    I wonder if this also could be related to the cut of your jeans? Ladies are all shaped differently, some makers have many different styles to help fit a larger number of women.

Perhaps jeans that fit you everywhere else but with a smaller waist may be in order (maybe yours could be altered). I won't be so crass as to suggest you post a pic. I might suggest you wear the jeans and belt to visit a local tailor for their input though. Just a though.
    LOL, I'm the one in the hat on my avatar. My jeans do ride on my hips rather than my waist. I just can't bring myself to go back to my 80's days. But I think I have realized that the issue seems to be more with summer clothing than my jeans.

Sponsored Links