New Smart Carry

New Smart Carry

This is a discussion on New Smart Carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My Smart Carry security model arrived today. I'm sitting at Starbucks right now with both my 1911 and .38 snub on me. Its taking some ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Smart Carry

New Smart Carry

My Smart Carry security model arrived today. I'm sitting at Starbucks right now with both my 1911 and .38 snub on me. Its taking some getting used to as far as sitting with the beaver tail poking my belly. just another motivation to lose more weight.

I'm not really fat but I do have a gut. I have to say I find my pants seem to fall down a bit more now with out my IWB holster. As well I feel like my draw speed is a lot slower. Did I just waste $66 or do I just need to go for a run more often now
    There's nothing wrong with shooting so long as the right people get shot. -- Dirty Harry Calahan

Thems good questions,. Only you can answer..

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    congrats that beaver tail hurts doesn't it i feel you on that one
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    If you find you don't like it, they have a 30 day trial period. All you would lose is shipping.

Sounds like a fine excuse to buy a Commander-length 1911.

Don't really feel like its a waste of money, its a very well made piece, and I already know I need to go running more often. The beaver tail was a suprise to me (didn't think about it) but I'm starting to get used to it.

The 1911 is the 4" with the officer size grips. Going to have to run some drills with this rig to get used to the draw. I can also see this is going to require a good belt to make draw easier as well as keep my britches where they need to be
    There's nothing wrong with shooting so long as the right people get shot. -- Dirty Harry Calahan

I want one of these but just cannot get beyond the carrying in my groin!
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny85 View Post
    My Smart Carry security model arrived today. I'm sitting at Starbucks right now with both my 1911 and .38 snub on me. Its taking some getting used to as far as sitting with the beaver tail poking my belly. just another motivation to lose more weight.

I'm not really fat but I do have a gut. I have to say I find my pants seem to fall down a bit more now with out my IWB holster. As well I feel like my draw speed is a lot slower. Did I just waste $66 or do I just need to go for a run more often now
    Check out this thread:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...y-methods.html

I suspect you need to wear it lower. The straps should be around your hips, not your waist. That should allow room for the beaver tail.

As far as your pants falling down - the straps should bear all the weight of your gun, so I'm thinking your regular belt isn't as tight as your gun belt with your IWB holster. Plus, with no IWB holster to take up space, you have more room around your waist. You don't normally need larger sized pants with the Smartcarry like you do with an IWB holster.

Hope this helps!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    I've been giving the SmartCarry more thought lately, now that it's summer...I might just have to order one.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by harley2007 View Post
    I want one of these but just cannot get beyond the carrying in my groin!
    Amen, brother. Don't point it at anything you don't want to destroy.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Needs to be a little lower, Tiny... the hammer on my Sig is kinda pokey too... just slide it 1 inch lower. When I get in my truck, I push it down just a hair, and I can drive in comfort... kinda like "the Picard maneuver"...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Groin

Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    Actually, unless your some kind of super stud (and maybe some of you guys are, I dunno) the muzzle is going to sit considerably lower that anything of that nature. Sure, it points to your legs, but really, theres not much way to carry that doesnt point to your body at come point.

10thmtn is correct, it needs to set nice and low on the hips and your pants belt only have to deal with the pants. I carry mine where the grip sits just below the bottom of my pants belt. Unless yous since your pants belt down real tight drawing is pretty easy.

To be fair, Ive never worn a security model or carried two guns before, so this IS a bit different.

Alex!

Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    As others have said, if you carry a handgun, it will point at parts of your body and other people at some times, as you move around. The oft repeated "Don't point a gun at anything you don't want to destroy" should be amended to add "while you are touching it." A modern handgun in good condition is not going to spontaneously fire while riding in your holster.

Appendix carry points a gun at your femoral artery while sitting. Depending on the cant, it may point your gun at your "package" while standing. The Smartcarry does not - the gun is in front of your privates, and the muzzle is well below. Due care needs to be exercised while holstering - but that is true with any holster (how many police officers have shot themselves in the foot or buttocks because they didn't check to see that their holster was clear before shoving their weapon in it? Too many.)

Some folks just have a mental block with carrying a handgun "down there." Too bad...it really is a great holster, and you risk nothing other than a few bucks shipping to try it out.

All the concerns and questions that get raised repeatedly about this holster are readily answered by reading the directions that come with the holster, or that are posted on the Smartcarry website. (I know...real men don't read directions...)

The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

This thread sparks some pretty particular feelings in me. I have carried a 1911 Commander in a SmartCarry for about two years. Based on my experience alone I can attest that it is a fine way to carry a concealed weapon.

Where the feelings arise is when I hear folks use references to male anatomy that belong in a junior highschool locker room. Then these same guys reject any idea of using the SmartCarry because it might injure their ( here, choose one or more set of junior high descriptors)! That's okay and understandable but let's raise the level of discourse here a bit.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

I use one for my PM9 and love it!! Works great here FL since I wear shorts 90% of the time. Like others have said....read the directions. They truly are more comfortable than you think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links