Anyone Using A Shoulder Holster? - Page 2

Anyone Using A Shoulder Holster?

This is a discussion on Anyone Using A Shoulder Holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a little quicker on the draw with my subcompact in a horizontal rig. However, my Beretta 92 prints really bad in a horizontal ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone Using A Shoulder Holster?

I am a little quicker on the draw with my subcompact in a horizontal rig. However, my Beretta 92 prints really bad in a horizontal shoulder holster so I use a vertical one for it.

I prefer tie-downs even if they do put a little extra pressure on my shoulders. It drives me crazy to have my gun flopping around when moving or bending over.

The best shoulder holster I ever had was a Bianchi (think it was called C-Clip) for a Walther PPK. It was similar in design to the Galco Executive as far as the over the shoulder and single tie down went but the actual holster for the gun was simply a molded leather covered spring clip about 2 inches wide that held the pistol around the frame. It held the pistol tightly (excellent retention) and left almost the entire gun exposed. I could wear it all day under any kind of jacket, shirt or sweater and it concealed very well. It had no tie down on the pistol side, but I generally don't like them anyway.

I wish someone out there had a design like that for the Walther P99's.

bosco

I have tried shoulder holsters but I have always found them to be uncomfortable and much harder to wear for longer than a couple of hours than I would have thought.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

[QUOTE=Sportsterguy;1216083]You sure can! I carry my S&W model 19 in a Alsessi Bodyguard for riding my bike and cold wx carry. Also have worn it a few times this summer with an Under Armor t under a button down. Great way to pack a weapon IMO. Very comfortable for all day carry.

Nice looking Sporty. I used to wear a shoulder holster while riding until I got to thinking what would happen if I went down on my right side (gun side for me). Sounded painful, so I switched to a tank bag, but I still wear a hip or shoulder rig for when I get off the bike.

I carry a lot w/ a shoulder rig & cover w/ a LOT less that the fleese lined jacket. Texas summer heat & my outside work rig for sweat is a Miami Classic & Taurus Ultra Lite .38sp. (Lot easier to clean at the end of the day than my 1911.)
    Leaving shortly for a eating meeting where Wife is singing for a group of Sr. Citizens at a local church. Texas churches have to be posted to prohibit carry so I will be in my Alessi Bodyguard w/ Kimber Pro CDP.

Will cover it w/ a Denimin vest.

Carry 24-7 or guess right.
    NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member
    Texas CHL Instructor. www.pdtraining.us

I like to use a shoulder rig when the weather is alittle cooler. In the summer...here in PA I usually OC with a OWB. The shoulder rig I have is by Desantis. Not very happy with it. The snaps on the gun side keep wearing out and come undone. Desantis sent a bunch of extras snap adaptors but Im not pleased with the rig.
    Regards,
    Shane Stagg
    Coopersburg, PA
    NRA Lifetime Member
    USCCA Member
    NAFC Lifetime Member

Anytime I can wear an oversize shirt or jacket or coat, I go to my Galco Shoulder Holster. Here in Minnesota, that covers about seven months of the year - sometimes more. It is my preferred carry method. I almost always carry a 1911, but I also have a shoulder holster for my Beretta 92 and it, too, gets used. Warm weather, I go to an IWB from either Don Hume or El Paso, but the shoulder holster is by far my favorite carry method.

Longtooth-"Texas churches have to be posted to prohibit carry ..."

According toTX PC 46.435 (b) A license holder commits an offense...... 6):on the premises of a church, synagogue,or other established place of religious worship.

I did not read where they need to be posted. If I am mis-informed, please correct me. Thanks.
    Last edited by Censored; August 6th, 2009 at 03:59 PM. Reason: to include quote
    --
    If I'm repeating myself, or repeating myself differently, it's probably 'cause of the brain cells I've murdered and the selective memory caused by concussions, contusions and confusions. Oh yeah, and that one night in Dallas.

NRA-Life Member
    ATA- Life Member
    --Guns? What guns?--

Have one ordered for the tactical, Will post pics when it arrives
    "The Beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

"When loss of liberty is looming, as it is now The siren sounds first in the hearts of freedoms vanguard"- Heston
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by Censored View Post
    Longtooth-"Texas churches have to be posted to prohibit carry ..."

According toTX PC 46.435 (b) A license holder commits an offense...... 6):on the premises of a church, synagogue,or other established place of religious worship.

I did not read where they need to be posted. If I am mis-informed, please correct me. Thanks.
    You are reading a very old copy of the law there - they changed the law several years ago actually. Now, the church must be posted, as must a hospital. If no posting, then it is legal.

That is what's printed in last year's CHL handbook. Do you by chance have the PC for the change?

Quote Originally Posted by Censored View Post
    That is what's printed in last year's CHL handbook. Do you by chance have the PC for the change?
    No, not handy. But, I have had a CHL in TX since 1996 - the first year they started to give them away.

The change for hospitals and churches goes back pretty far.

I have seen this topic come up on other sites on occasion - somehow, there is still old info out there.

Your CHL instructor should have covered this with ya.

I've taken the class 4x now (first time, and 3 renewals). I'm rather sick of the class.

Here - read this thread all the way:

TexasCHLforum.com • View topic - Carrying at church

Post #3 explains it

Nope I don't carry SH. And I don't see why not.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Sam Andrews monarch rig with the Kimber Ultra CDP 2
    Kimber Ultra CDP 2
    Sam Andrews Macdaniel 2 holster
    Sam Andrews Monarch Rig
    Glock 27 backup weapon
    S&W 642 .38 airweight
    NRA member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links