Comfortable Carry? - Page 2

Comfortable Carry?

This is a discussion on Comfortable Carry? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by retsupt99 I have pretty much carried IWB either at 3:30 or 5:00 for many years. I have always talked about how comfortable ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I have pretty much carried IWB either at 3:30 or 5:00 for many years.
    I have always talked about how comfortable I find my Kimber Ultra or my Glock-36 hidden away at my side or against my kidney.
    I haven't given much thought about OWB holsters, and have really only used them a little for SD pistol courses.

Well, we are preparing to visit the grandkids and other relatives who live in OC states (not meant to be an open carry topic).
    Thinking that I might try the open carry approach just a little, I decided to take out my OWB Fist #12 basic out of moth balls and wear it around the house for a few days to see how it felt.

I have to admit that this OWB holster is a mighty fine approach to either OC or CC.
    It hugs the body very well, and I hardly know the weapon is riding along.

Maybe the guys who carry OWB really DO know something about 'comfort'.

Have you tried both IWB and OWB for extended periods of time?
    What do you think?
    I only have only OSB paddle holsters. I don't need leather, I want safety and protection over beauty. I use what the manufacturer suggests. For Sig's they are all polymer holsters with thumb release button or other type of catch.

My Walther's fit almost anything I put in them. My PPS SC works OK with a paddle holster made for an SA DX.

I mainly carry my SIG 250 Compact with a holster from SIG.

I carry the Walther PPS for more concealment as necessary.

I have several others That sometimes don't need special holsters at all.

I have a full size Kimber 1911. I usually don't holster it, It is a beautiful piece. I seldom shoot it. It just stays in the case.

I have a Taurus 5" revolver for plinking. I have carried it on the left in a holster not made for it but works. Usually I just throw it in the bag and go off to the range.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I carried OWB for a while in a paddle holster. It felt like it sagged and it rode too far out for my taste. Of course, it could have just been a crappy holster.

At any rate, once I got my Supertuck broken in there was no more discussion.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

I've carried both OWB in a Galco leather rig and IWB in a Crossbreed Supertuck.

I prefer the Crossbreed because I am more concerned about staying concealed than comfort. Too many anti's running around here in CA. We've all read those threads were someone calls the police about "a man carrying a gun."

The Crossbreed is the most comfortable IWB I've had.

I agree that for comfort alone, OWB is hard to beat.

I've carried OWB in a paddle holster while on duty and it is extremely comfortable with the right rig. Haven't CCW'ed that way and probably won't until cooler weather gives more concealment options.

For now, the Supertuck or else pocket P3AT gets the nod.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

Quote Originally Posted by bstrawse View Post
    I generally carry IWB - never been a big proponent of open carry for non law enforcement, though I certainly don't have an issue with it if someone wants to do so.

In the house, it's more common for me to carry OWB just because it's more comfortable. I've a variety of Galco holsters for this purpose - some paddle style, several belt/pancake style.

b
    Note, OWB does not necessarily mean open carry. The weapon remains concealed by a cover garment, just as it does when carried IWB.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    I carried OWB for a while in a paddle holster. It felt like it sagged and it rode too far out for my taste. Of course, it could have just been a crappy holster.

At any rate, once I got my Supertuck broken in there was no more discussion.
    What paddle were you using? I found that my Galco, and Uncle Mike's rode high and did ride too far out for concealment.
    Evidently the Kramer does not do that. In fact my Fobus is better than the other two.

Evidently Garrity makes the best, but it must take a long time to get one. On balance I prefer the snap loop OWB for an easy on/off holster as it stays tight against the body.

If one wants an excellent OWB take a look at Sparks I-BAK. It does not, however, have a shirt guard.

Regards,
    Jerry

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    I do find OWB more comfortable, but for ease of concealment I more often carry IWB (with the right holster, IWB is not that uncomfortable, just not quite as comfy as OWB).

Below are my favorite IWB and OWB rigs. Also 2 frequently carried pocket options.

Milt Sparks VM-2HS (horsehide, shark trim)

Milt Sparks Axiom, elephant trim

PM9 in Milt Sparks PCH

P3AT in Milt Sparks PCH
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    What paddle were you using?
    Bianchi paddle holster, molded nylon with an adjustable thumb break. Seriously, the thing was $40 so I wasn't expecting a whole lot. I have not yet tried a well-made leather beltloop holster. I suspect that would take care of the sagging and hangin'-too-far-out-there issues.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

I've carried OWB and IWB over the years.

I prefer IWB for what I think is a slightly better degree of concealment. If you are using a good holster and belt it is amazing how much can be concealed with an OWB holster though.

I managed to hide a 4" N-Frame in a Del Fatti OWB under a one size too large Polo Shirt. I'm so used to IWB that I don't even look at OWB Holster much anymore. I have a Del Fatti coming for my High Power and I made that one an OWB Holster. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I've carried OWB and IWB over the years.

I prefer IWB for what I think is a slightly better degree of concealment. If you are using a good holster and belt it is amazing how much can be concealed with an OWB holster though.

I managed to hide a 4" N-Frame in a Del Fatti OWB under a one size too large Polo Shirt. I'm so used to IWB that I don't even look at OWB Holster much anymore. I have a Del Fatti coming for my High Power and I made that one an OWB Holster. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Biker
    As with my original post, this is what I've discovered. My Fist OWB #12 Basic is as close to my body as my IWB's
    It's a great holster and my Looper Leather belt is tightened up (comfortably).
    I'm liking it...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

kpw
    I've owned a couple of FIST #7 and #9 in kydex and leather. They hold very tight to the body. With the right owb holster, iwb doesn't conceal any better for me unless I'd wear a very short shirt. The most comfortable holsters I've worn are still the Comp-Tac settable cant paddles. They conceal very well under my camp and polo shirts. The Fist and UBG Bonneville holsters will conceal well under a loose tshirt.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I have pretty much carried IWB either at 3:30 or 5:00 for many years.
    I have always talked about how comfortable I find my Kimber Ultra or my Glock-36 hidden away at my side or against my kidney.
    I haven't given much thought about OWB holsters, and have really only used them a little for SD pistol courses.

Well, we are preparing to visit the grandkids and other relatives who live in OC states (not meant to be an open carry topic).
    Thinking that I might try the open carry approach just a little, I decided to take out my OWB Fist #12 basic out of moth balls and wear it around the house for a few days to see how it felt.

I have to admit that this OWB holster is a mighty fine approach to either OC or CC.
    It hugs the body very well, and I hardly know the weapon is riding along.

Maybe the guys who carry OWB really DO know something about 'comfort'.

Have you tried both IWB and OWB for extended periods of time?
    What do you think?
    Ken, as I have previously posted, I have never been able to find IWB carry comfortable enough for all day carry with any of the many holsters I have tried, and so have been carrying my Kimber Ultra Carry OWB for quite awhile now.

If you have a holster that fits tight to your side, it works perfectly for CC with a loose fitting shirt.

Give it a try, I think that you will find it more comfortable then IWB.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

I've usually carried IWB, but in the past year have been transitioning with my SIG P229 over to OWB. With that "bigger" pistol OWB has proven to be more comfortable and with the UBG Regulator is more convenient to put on/take off as needed. Snug to the body, yet very comfy when wearing a cotton "wife beater" style t-shirt beneath the cover shirt.

My wife shops for my clothing with carry in mind. I've been wearing some long camp-style shirts this summer and they cover OWB just fine. And, she found a style of polo with ample space and length to cover it well.

In cooler months I wear one of three microfiber vests I have--not as long as those summer shirts, so I may just OWB carry when I'll be wearing a winter coat (driving, shopping, etc.) for most of the time; which is common in MN winters!

Anyway, with that particular pistol, the big SIG, OWB has been the answer.

All that being said, with my smaller Glock 26, I still find it very comfortable for carry IWB in a Milt Sparks Watch Six so I've found different solutions for pistol-type as well as differing apparel depending on weather.

Good luck.

SIG P229 in UBG Regulator (cow with elephant trim)

"It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    Bianchi paddle holster, molded nylon with an adjustable thumb break. Seriously, the thing was $40 so I wasn't expecting a whole lot. I have not yet tried a well-made leather beltloop holster. I suspect that would take care of the sagging and hangin'-too-far-out-there issues.
    Thanks.
    Jerry

Another Simply Rugged Silver Dollar Pancake holster fan here. ;-) Mine lacks the bullet holders, and has both the OWB and IWB screw-on straps and appropriate holes. It's a medium red-brown in color. Other than that, it's the same holster.

I've worn it IWB using the IWB loop-over straps, OWB using both the straps and the slots, and also attached to a support bra. (Good place for many women to conceal a gun.) It works great in any of those situations, is comfortable, holds the gun reliably, and is easy to draw from fast if necessary. (I train with it.)

Recommended.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links