Comfortable Carry?

Comfortable Carry?

This is a discussion on Comfortable Carry? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have pretty much carried IWB either at 3:30 or 5:00 for many years. I have always talked about how comfortable I find my Kimber ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comfortable Carry?

Question Comfortable Carry?

I have pretty much carried IWB either at 3:30 or 5:00 for many years.
    I have always talked about how comfortable I find my Kimber Ultra or my Glock-36 hidden away at my side or against my kidney.
    I haven't given much thought about OWB holsters, and have really only used them a little for SD pistol courses.

Well, we are preparing to visit the grandkids and other relatives who live in OC states (not meant to be an open carry topic).
    Thinking that I might try the open carry approach just a little, I decided to take out my OWB Fist #12 basic out of moth balls and wear it around the house for a few days to see how it felt.

I have to admit that this OWB holster is a mighty fine approach to either OC or CC.
    It hugs the body very well, and I hardly know the weapon is riding along.

Maybe the guys who carry OWB really DO know something about 'comfort'.

Have you tried both IWB and OWB for extended periods of time?
    What do you think?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've tried various ways to carry IWB and never have liked it. So --- all the holsters I now use are OWB. (Upon the advice of someone on this forum, I just ordered a holster from Fist. It looks to be one that I'll enjoy).
    "Courage is being scared to death ...... but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

I have, and sometimes do, carry IWB in a Sparks Executives Companion. It is comfortable, but not as comfortable as OWB.

I wear a cover garment, normally a shirt tail out, and have had no trouble concealing. I carry at various times a G26, SA LW Compact 1911, S&W 642, Kahr P9, KT P3AT, and sometimes a Smith 640.

I probably carry OWB at least 95% of the time.

Regards,
    Jerry

Have you tried both IWB and OWB for extended periods of time? What do you think?
    While I must admit that I carry IWB most of the time because I feel that it is a better concealment system.

However, where comfort is concerned, I really prefer a well conceived and executed OWB pancake holster. I am particularly impressed by the pancake holsters made by Simply Rugged such as the one in the pic
    which is a Silver Dollar.
    Like any concealment system one has to dress accordingly which, for me, is usually an untucked shirt/sweater/vest/etc. On a good gun belt this OWB is easily concealable and exceptionally comfortable.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    Have carried both ways for over 30 years and my mood/clothing dictates what style I'll wear. Either conceal easily but it's been my experience until you get comfortable concealing with an OWB your always thinking "my gun's showing" when it really isn't. Wear what works for you and provides the most comfort. Carrying a gun doesn't have to be uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by torrejon224 View Post
    Have carried both ways for over 30 years and my mood/clothing dictates what style I'll wear. Either conceal easily but it's been my experience until you get comfortable concealing with an OWB your always thinking "my gun's showing" when it really isn't. Wear what works for you and provides the most comfort. Carrying a gun doesn't have to be uncomfortable.
    This reflects my experiences also. It is my desire to carry OWB, but sometimes clothes and situations require IWB, or shoulder rig, etc.
    NRA Member
    I carry a .45 because they don't make a .46
    www.ShootersEar.com

VIP Member
    I've tried both over the years. When I was an LEO I carried mainly OWB, because I didn't care if I showed a little or not. Now that I'm not a LEO I lean more towards IWB. It's not as comfortable but I feel it gives me less a chance of showing.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I generally carry IWB - never been a big proponent of open carry for non law enforcement, though I certainly don't have an issue with it if someone wants to do so.

In the house, it's more common for me to carry OWB just because it's more comfortable. I've a variety of Galco holsters for this purpose - some paddle style, several belt/pancake style.

b
    NRA Life Member | NRA & MADFI Instructor | Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    My views are my own - they may or may not reflect those of my employer.

I tried belt carry for a while but didn't like it. You ALWAYS have to wear a longer shirt or jacket.

IWB may not be comfortable for some but it has never bothered me. The only thing that bothers me is the guns weight. But that is not a holster issue. I have searched for the right combination of gun and holster for a few years. I have finally found the guns and holsters that I can use based on the way I dress. I also pocket carry mainly in summer heat. A good holster is a must for IWB carry.

My Galco Royal Guard IWB carries my S&W 649 pretty comfortably, certainly when walking about. It does take some adjusting when sitting, in and out of the car and so on. I found a nicely used Galco pancake holster that I can wear very comfortably OWB strong side.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I alternate between OWB and IWB carry. I find that I do have a little better concealment with IWB. However OWB is much more comfortable for me. So I do tend to carry OWB much more often.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I'm very much looking forward to getting myself a fine custom leather owb holster!!
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

My Glock 27 is pretty much my EDC off-duty. Most of the time I carry it IWB in a Milt Sparks VM II. In cooler months I was using Fist #10 OWB. It was very comfortable, but the retention seems to have diminished rapidly. I have several other OWB holsters for it, but the Fist provided good concealment.

I need to find another good concealment holster for OWB. IWB carry doesn't bother me, but OWB is more comfortable.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I do both,now that I have a SuperTuck I'm liking IWB more than I did before. It just depends on what I'm wearing or doing as to what style I'll carry. I prefer IWB most of the time because it conceals better.

I OWB carry with a Bianchi paddle holster and have found it to be very comfortable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links