Buying another beltman, need opinions.

This is a discussion on Buying another beltman, need opinions. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm considering a 1.5" belt from The Beltman. I already have an elephant 1.25" and had a 1.5" shark. Well I want another 1.5" and ...

Thread: Buying another beltman, need opinions.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar

I'm considering a 1.5" belt from The Beltman. I already have an elephant 1.25" and had a 1.5" shark. Well I want another 1.5" and I think I'm going with horsehide this time (but another elephant or shark is tempting). I called and talked to Jim and he was VERY helpful and basically made my decision but I thought I'd get a few user opinions as well if possible.

Does the black horsehide scuff easily? If it does scuff sometimes, does it show the scuffs easily? From the pictures on the site, the black looks nice and shiny where scuffs might show easily. Is it too shiny in person and would it jump out as a gun belt being 1.5"? I realize it's tougher than cowhide but I'm sure it isn't as scuff resistant as my elephant. I could drop a cement block on the elephant and it would still look good.

I wanted to get velcro sewn in and I can't do this on the shark and elephant because they already have the stiffener built-in. Jim said that it would make the belt too thick. I was thinking of adding a small piece of adhesive strip of velcro myself instead but I'm worried about it being too thick. Has anyone attempted this on their own and would it still be as thick as sewn-in velcro? It seems to work OK on my 1.25" elephant skin beltman but I'm sure sewn-in is better.

If velcro is a no go, then my decision is basically made up to go with horsehide. The site says the stiffener in the horsehide isn't usually needed for IWB unless you are carrying heavier weapon. My three main guns that would be riding IWB at any given time would be a PM9, a G33 or G29SF. I should be OK with the first two but will I be OK without the stiffener with the G29SF?

Thanks for any input.

While I have no experience with their belts I can't imagine adding the "stiffener" is that thick. It's probably a piece of Kydex and not a very thick one or the belt wouldn't bend easily to your waist. However they know best as they are the ones making them.

As for the Velcro, that stuff sticks pretty well. I can't see why it would come off easily especially since you are not washing it.

From what I can see you should be OK on the horse hide with the two Glock's you mentioned. Their horse hide belt is a double layer and it should do pretty well holding them up.
    XD40sc
    NRA Member

Lone Wolf Holsters

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I have the 1.25" black horsehide, and I have put it to heavy use. The finish is relatively matte. Marks are slightly visible, it's not like a shiny dress belt.

I have worn the finish off half of the buckle and the Chicago screws. The screws started off gold and are silver now but the belt itself still looks pretty darn good. I should probably replace the buckle but I would say that this is probably one of the most durable belts I've owned.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

The horsehide belt will support the G29 SF IWB without any issues. Cowhide in a two layer setup can do this just fine so the stiffer horsehide will work fine without the internal stiffener. The velcro can be a nice option, especially for tuckable "v-clip" style holsters. Nothing showing on the outside at all! As far as the finish wear, yes -the horsehide will show some dulling after years of use. Not scratches unless your waist line is having contact with a workbench, concrete or something similar on a regular basis. While tougher than cowhide, the horsehide's slick, polished surface doesn't last indefinitely. You can, however, alwyas touch it up with (black?) polish as listed by the mfg. I've got the shark belt from beltman too. Nice setup. if you want total concealment, get the velcro on horse and don't worry -these belts are built to last.

I have a Beltman 1.5 and it is black. I have no scoff marks that show at all. It is flat black and does not stand out as a "gun-belt" at all. Great belt for sure..

I have a 1.5 Beltman belt in horsehide and black ...had it for a few months. Not shiny , doesnt show wear easily...Love this belt ...It handles all my guns..CZ 75B, CZ 75 C, fullsize springfield PRO 1911...you really cant go wrong can you?

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Thanks for the excellent input everyone,

I went ahead and placed my order for a 1.5" black horsehide w/velcro. Jim said they're running about 30 days. I'm looking forward to my new belt.

Hi guys, first post here but long time reader. I'm looking to invest in a gunbelt. I was originally leaning towards a rafter s shark but got no response from their site. I've also seen some negative feedback in this forum. Which lead me to my second choice, the Beltman. I'd like to know if Horse hide is tougher than Shark? How much tougher is elephant than shark? I wear a suit near everyday and carry near everyday. What would be a belt that would last me a long time and maintain a good look with a suit? My choices are Horse or Shark? Which one can take more abuse and look good for years? Any help would be much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    Hi guys, first post here but long time reader. I'm looking to invest in a gunbelt. I was originally leaning towards a rafter s shark but got no response from their site. I've also seen some negative feedback in this forum. Which lead me to my second choice, the Beltman. I'd like to know if Horse hide is tougher than Shark? How much tougher is elephant than shark? I wear a suit near everyday and carry near everyday. What would be a belt that would last me a long time and maintain a good look with a suit? My choices are Horse or Shark? Which one can take more abuse and look good for years? Any help would be much appreciated
    I have a 1.5 Shark and love it. Shark or Elephant will look good for a long time.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    What would be a belt that would last me a long time and maintain a good look with a suit? My choices are Horse or Shark? Which one can take more abuse and look good for years? Any help would be much appreciated
    Anything offered by the Beltman will hold up and look good for years. I haven't gotten around to ordering a horse belt but I would like to try one. My shark belt (HBE) is a great belt. It is a bit more flexible than my leather belts but more than stiff enough. The shark shines in abrasion resistance and might look newer, longer than many other skins except maybe elephant (?).
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

thanks cdwolf and kpw

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    I'm considering a 1.5" belt from The Beltman. I already have an elephant 1.25" and had a 1.5" shark. Well I want another 1.5" and I think I'm going with horsehide this time (but another elephant or shark is tempting). I called and talked to Jim and he was VERY helpful and basically made my decision but I thought I'd get a few user opinions as well if possible.

Does the black horsehide scuff easily? If it does scuff sometimes, does it show the scuffs easily? From the pictures on the site, the black looks nice and shiny where scuffs might show easily. Is it too shiny in person and would it jump out as a gun belt being 1.5"? I realize it's tougher than cowhide but I'm sure it isn't as scuff resistant as my elephant. I could drop a cement block on the elephant and it would still look good.

I wanted to get velcro sewn in and I can't do this on the shark and elephant because they already have the stiffener built-in. Jim said that it would make the belt too thick. I was thinking of adding a small piece of adhesive strip of velcro myself instead but I'm worried about it being too thick. Has anyone attempted this on their own and would it still be as thick as sewn-in velcro? It seems to work OK on my 1.25" elephant skin beltman but I'm sure sewn-in is better.

If velcro is a no go, then my decision is basically made up to go with horsehide. The site says the stiffener in the horsehide isn't usually needed for IWB unless you are carrying heavier weapon. My three main guns that would be riding IWB at any given time would be a PM9, a G33 or G29SF. I should be OK with the first two but will I be OK without the stiffener with the G29SF?

Thanks for any input.

I have the 1.5 horsehide in black. I really like the belt, it is comfortable, looks good, and does it job well. I carry with the Crossbreed Supertuck with the metal clips and it has defintaly scuffed up the belt. It is noticeable, but not bad enough to ruin the belt, so if you are worried about that my advice would be to use something other than metal clips.
    I have also noticed that the black dye has rubbed off of the bottom edge of the belt. I firsted noticed it when I saw black stuff all over the front of my Khaki shorts and couldn't figure out at first where it was coming from. It too isn't a big deal for me, the dye washs out and the belt still looks fine.

Sponsored Links