Im getting fatter... Maybe ankle rig is better.

This is a discussion on Im getting fatter... Maybe ankle rig is better. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Summer time makes me drink more beer as I sit out on the patio of my favorite watering hole and listen to the music. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Im getting fatter... Maybe ankle rig is better.

Im getting fatter... Maybe ankle rig is better.

Summer time makes me drink more beer as I sit out on the patio of my favorite watering hole and listen to the music.

I am getting bugged out by my IWB. Can an ankle rig be your main carry rig? Would it be too hard to get to?

Thanks for your comments

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    If you haven't seen this before: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...when-worn.html

Might be a good option. Try it and let us know if you like it.
    For God, Family and Country!

Have you tried a belly band worn higher than your belt line? It gives you several options, particularly with a button-down shirt.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    I hear that! As to an ankle rig being acceptable for a primary, I will say yes, with a caveat.

All holsters are really some sort of compromise. Always having a gun with you is better than leaving it behind because it's become a burden. And practice with whatever mode of carry you choose is essential to increasing the odds of success, should the use become necessary. And while we're talking odds, we should remember that most of us will never need our weapons that we carry as insurance against that slim possibility we will.

IMHO, that does make the ankle rig (buy a good one, from recent threads you know which one I'd suggest ) a viable option to be armed in todays society. I have even heard of the occasional LEO (likely undercover, though this is all just hearsay) wear one as his primary, or even only mode of carry.

For us private citizens who carry, I feel fine with the ankle rig as a primary (though I need more practice, and will still use other methods frequently, making the ankle a BUG some of the time).

I am a fan of options. The more different styles of carry I can become proficient with, the more options to carry in different situations I feel I have. Others will disagree, saying changing it up produces confusion, or that keeping with one carry method all the time will benefit you if the feces contacts the oscillator. While I can't fault their logic, I still contend a repertoire of multiple methods of carry can be beneficial, and can actually enable you to carry more frequently. YMMV. We must however, always remember the first rule if you find yourself in a gunfight. Have a gun!
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

I am definately going to look into that rig.
    Do they make a good for the PM9?

A beefy colleague of mine at work has an ankle rig for his Glock 36. Every time he sits down, his trouser cuffs ride up, exposing the entire rig. I saw it plain as day during one of our meetings where people sat around a large conference table with an opening in the middle as I was seated across from him.

I, too, have been enjoying too much beer in this nice Southern climate, and have decided I need to strip off twenty pounds to get back to comfortable IWB carry.

Greenhorn - Main issue with ankle carry is that you cannot draw while on the move. This method is OK for a BUG, but I never recommend it for primary.

You have a PM9 - can you pocket carry? What about a Smartcarry?

Hopefully, you aren't drinking beer at the same time you are carrying your weapon...alcohol does bad things to reaction times and judgment.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Something to consider, especially if you have a spare tire, is how fast will you be able to bend over and unholster your piece from an ankle rig? Will you even be able to reach it? I think reducing the belt line is a better option. I recently went from 241 to 216. I feel better, can move faster and reach that gun quicker in the ol' IWB holster. BYT I'm shooting for much leaner190.
    You will also find that being leaner greatly reduces your chances of developing high blood pressure aqnd Diabetes. I would cut back on the efreshments and exercise more too. Just some friendly advise/encouragement.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Hopefully, you aren't drinking beer at the same time you are carrying your weapon...alcohol does bad things to reaction times and judgment.
    Ya,.. This is a bad idea all together..

Although I have a ankle setup, I don't feel good about being able to draw it,.. It is better then having nothing I will say,..

I too are carrying extra weight. I've chosen to put this weight on in case of SHTF. This way I'll be able to survive longer than the average person by living off the fat. I too have chosen to add this fat via the use of beer which, according to my research, is the most health concious method. I've recently purchased an Active Pro Gear elastic shoulder holster called Deep Concealment that works very well for me if I wear a sleeveless tee under a short sleeved outer button type shirt for cover. The website is Gun Concealment holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster. I'm also a proponent of keeping a ten or fifteen pounds of fat over my two hundred pounds of coiled blue steel as camoflage. Good luck with the project and if you happen to have to give it up with a surplus of beer on hand send me an email and I'll give you my shipping address.

I suggest that you stay in shape. Seriously, that is probably your best option.

I see we are onthe same "weight maintenance" program. Cheers!
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

VIP Member

Ankle rig may get you killed

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHorn View Post

Summer time makes me drink more beer as I sit out on the patio of my favorite watering hole and listen to the music.

I am getting bugged out by my IWB. Can an ankle rig be your main carry rig? Would it be too hard to get to?

Thanks for your comments
    No, not for primary. A year back or so there was a horror story related in Concealed Carry Magazine. A man was being approached by a knife wielding thug as he started to enter his car. The man attempted to drop down and grab his gun from an ankle holster.
    That action cost him his life as the attacker thrust the knife into him while he was in a crouched down position. He'd have been better off running instead of trying to retrieve a gun from an ankle holster. Or he might have been better off standing and attempting to defend with a disarm or throw and disarm.

I guess ankle is better than no gun at all, but you do need to keep timing and accessibility in the back of your mind.

The only place where I feel ankle carry is OK is when you are seated in your car.

With all the Exstra weight (spare Tire) Makes it hard to get to the ankels JMO !!
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I'll echo what some of the others have mentioned. An ankle holster is a fine holster for a BUG. If that's the way you'll be carrying your EDC gun there are better ways to consider.

The biggest problem as some have mentioned is that drawing from your ankle holster isn't the most convenient in a situation where seconds count. I have an ankle holster that I'll be wearing for a BUG if the situation warrants it. Normally I don't wear the ankle holster. Otherwise I would consider a holster that places your EDC gun somewhere at your waist.

IMHO
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links