First 5 days carrying 100% - Smart Carry vs. Supertuck

This is a discussion on First 5 days carrying 100% - Smart Carry vs. Supertuck within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well first let me just say that I love carrying my Glock 19. I am fortunate for finding this site because i have not one, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First 5 days carrying 100% - Smart Carry vs. Supertuck

First 5 days carrying 100% - Smart Carry vs. Supertuck

Well first let me just say that I love carrying my Glock 19. I am fortunate for finding this site because i have not one, but two very very comfortable holsters. Thanks to all of you guys for posting your thoughts and experiences with others and the best. Im sure you easily saved me a few hundred bucks. It will be in the mail next week ...Nothing like OPE (other peoples experience)

A buddy of mine carries a two shot Deringer and or a 38 special and leaves his S&W 40 at home because he cant wear it comfortably. I have my glock (which i have put 200 rnds through and have become quite accurate with out to 15 yrds).

So to the holsters: I love the supertuck for wearing jeans or casual clothes, its absolutely fantastic. The big piece of leather really spreads out the gun and I personally don't have any pressure points. I wear it directly on my side so the slide can be felt in my right pants pocket. This was the most comfortable sitting and standing for me, and there is no print unless im doing an aerobics move.

I was in a few very crowded areas though and i was nervous of people bumping the gun--and strangely i was paranoid someone would try to take it...even though that would be pretty hard to do. I wore it all weekend with just my regular cargo shorts, my undershirt tucked in over the gun with a polo. Darker polo's conceal it a little better.... I'm pretty sure one family at a restaurant spotted it because they were pointing and whispering about me (which never happens unless my wife is next to me--and she was in the ladies room)... But Ive already started to get the attitude that i don't really care if they "know" as long as i know that its concealed.

The con on the supertuck is i really cant wear it with a suit, or even business casual because of the belt. It needs a good belt and my business attire sags too much and makes me looks sloppy even though i don't think anyone could tell it was because of a gun.

So the smartcarry is what i bought for the occasions (2-4 times per week) when my options are limited. I took the advice of a lot of people on here and have been wearing it at about 10-11 o'clock, so that the barrel is basically sitting on my left thigh. It is very comfortable in this position and definitely concealed.

I have to say i definitely feel better about the super tuck.

Getting the gun in and out of the smartcarry is a little tougher and slower to draw, and the trigger guard being cloth makes me a little nervous (even though i don't think i could pull the trigger on purpose in the holster) particularly with the gun being in the area that it is. There are some major arteries down there ... AND im not really sure if i could get it out with one hand. However with some practice drawing and holstering unloaded, and maybe a piece of plastic sown in by the trigger i think i will get to a point where i feel good about carrying with one in the chamber. Until then its going to be in condition 3 in the smart carry

With the Super tuck - After 25 minutes carrying i took the gun out of my holster, chambered a round and have carried in condition 1 without a second thought since. That gun cannot and will not fire without me intentionally doing so and i have full confidence in the crossbreed supertuck holster

One last comment - I mostly carried in the supertuck this weekend. My wife didn't know that i had gotten my glock yet. I carried all weekend without her knowing that it was there. She actually found out via other evidence (cell pic message). She actually even touched the butt of the gun once and didn't say anything---i was just hoping she didn't loudly say "is that a gun"... she must have thought it was my cell phone.

In any case, if she didn't know--i must be doing a pretty good job concealing. If anyone out there is on a budget i would recommend getting these two and calling it a day. I spent $120 and I don't think i will ever need another concealed holster for my G19. I still need to get a side holster for the range but they are cheap.

Hope this helps someone and stay safe
    Last edited by bgcole; July 13th, 2009 at 10:13 AM. Reason: failure to proof

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by bgcole View Post
    Well first let me just say that I love carrying my Glock 19. I am fortunate for finding this site because i have not one, but two very very comfortable holsters. Thanks to all of you guys for posting your thoughts and experiences with others and the best. Im sure you easily saved me a few hundred bucks. It will be in the mail next week ...Nothing like OPE (other peoples experience)

A buddy of mine carries a two shot Deringer and or a 38 special and leaves his S&W 40 at home because he cant wear it comfortably. I have my glock (which i have put 200 rnds through and have become quite accurate with out to 15 yrds).

So to the holsters: I love the supertuck for wearing jeans or casual clothes, its absolutely fantastic. The big piece of leather really spreads out the gun and I personally don't have any pressure points. I wear it directly on my side so the slide can be felt in my right pants pocket. This was the most comfortable sitting and standing for me, and there is no print unless im doing an aerobics move.

I was in a few very crowded areas though and i was nervous of people bumping the gun--and strangely i was paranoid someone would try to take it...even though that would be pretty hard to do. I wore it all weekend with just my regular cargo shorts, my undershirt tucked in over the gun with a polo. Darker polo's conceal it a little better.... I'm pretty sure one family at a restaurant spotted it because they were pointing and whispering about me (which never happens unless my wife is next to me--and she was in the ladies room)... But Ive already started to get the attitude that i don't really care if they "know" as long as i know that its concealed.

The con on the supertuck is i really cant wear it with a suit, or even business casual because of the belt. It needs a good belt and my business attire sags too much and makes me looks sloppy even though i don't think anyone could tell it was because of a gun.

So the smartcarry is what i got for the occasions (2-4 times per week) when my options are limited. I took the advice of a lot of people on here and have been wearing it at about 10-11 o'clock, so that the barrel is basically sitting on my left thigh. It is very comfortable in this position and definitely concealed.

I have to say i definitely feel better about the super tuck. Getting the gun in and out of the supertuck is a little tougher and slower to draw, and the trigger guard being cloth makes me a little nervous (even though i don't think i could pull the trigger on purpose in the holster) particularly with the gun being in the area that it is. There are some major arteries down there ... AND im not really sure if i could get it out with one hand. However with some practice drawing and holstering unloaded, and maybe a piece of plastic sown in by the trigger i think i will get to a point where i feel good about carrying with one in the chamber. Until then its going to be in condition 3 in the smart carry

After 25 minutes carrying in the supertuck i took the gun out of my holster, chambered a round and have carried in condition 1 without a second thought since. That gun cannot and will not fire without me intentionally doing so and i have full confidence in it.

One last comment - I mostly carried in the ST this weekend. My wife didn't know that i had gotten my glock yet. I carried all weekend without her knowing that it was there. She actually found out via other evidence (cell pic message). She actually even touched the butt of the gun once and didn't say anything---i was just hoping she didn't loudly say "is that a gun"... she must have thought it was my cell phone.

In any case, if she didn't know--i must be doing a pretty good job concealing. If anyone out there is on a budget i would recommend getting these two and calling it a day. I spent $120 and I don't think i will ever need another concealed holster for my G19. I still need to get a side holster for the range but they are cheap.

Hope this helps someone and stay safe
    Nice write up, but you need to re-read and edit it. Several times you refer to the SuperTuck when you are actually talking about the SmartCarry. :)
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Nice write up, but you need to re-read and edit it. Several times you refer to the SuperTuck when you are actually talking about the SmartCarry. :)
    Sorry about that. I fixed it... I only found one spot though

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Congrats on the great carry experience.

Welcome to the forum!
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

I have a Supertuck that I wear for work. Slacks with a tucked in dress shirt. No one knows it's there, even when they know I'm carrying. (I asked a buddy if he could find my gun and he couldn't).

You should be able to wear it with your suit without any problems. Question...Do you have a good gun belt? I got mine from Crossbreed and it fits my belt loops on my slacks. You might also want to check out the Beltman. He's got tons of great reviews also.

Good luck. My wife uses the SmartCarry and I can't tell if she's carrying.
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

I have been wearing the "Quick Clip" for about two months now. It is fine with my shirt out. But, when I tuck it in, I can not get past the one inch bulge on my hip line which with a 34" waist, makes me look so lopsided.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Bag Man
    Hobbyist Gunsmith
    www.concealedcarrybags.com
    Concealed Carry Bags
    "We Conceal it, You Carry it"

I have a super tuck for my G19 and was thinking of getting a smartcarry for my soon new Kel Tec PF9 and future G26 since will fit in both smart carry & supertuck

Quote Originally Posted by Bag Man View Post
    I have been wearing the "Quick Clip" for about two months now. It is fine with my shirt out. But, when I tuck it in, I can not get past the one inch bulge on my hip line which with a 34" waist, makes me look so lopsided.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    I wasnt familiar with that one so i just looked at it online.... I would just try moving it around some. I started with the holster on my butt basically and that didnt work for alot of reasons so i ended up with it right on my right hip. I guess the one thing i might say that ive learned-- is that even though i think that i look funny... everyone else thinks that i look completely normal.

Ask some people what it looks like...

Quote Originally Posted by coriantan View Post
    I have a Supertuck that I wear for work. Slacks with a tucked in dress shirt. No one knows it's there, even when they know I'm carrying. (I asked a buddy if he could find my gun and he couldn't).

You should be able to wear it with your suit without any problems. Question...Do you have a good gun belt? I got mine from Crossbreed and it fits my belt loops on my slacks. You might also want to check out the Beltman. He's got tons of great reviews also.

Good luck. My wife uses the SmartCarry and I can't tell if she's carrying.
    Thanks for the belt tip. Thats actually what ive determined is the problem. I just have spent so much $ already with the gun and holsters and ammo that i think my wife will kill me for one more dollar right now.

Until then i have gotten alot more experience with the Smartcarry this week. Its starting to really grow on me, although i still carry in condition 3. I am really nervous about drawing and holstering with the gun in condition 1 just due to the nature of the holster and since im sliding it underneath my pants. It could change with more experience though.

They arent kidding about this being the "invisible holster" though. Sometimes i forget that the gun is there and no one has been able to tell that the gun is there even after i tell them where it is.

The smart carry and the super tuck are really two great holsters.

Quote Originally Posted by bgcole View Post
    Thanks for the belt tip. Thats actually what ive determined is the problem. I just have spent so much $ already with the gun and holsters and ammo that i think my wife will kill me for one more dollar right now.

Until then i have gotten alot more experience with the Smartcarry this week. Its starting to really grow on me, although i still carry in condition 3. I am really nervous about drawing and holstering with the gun in condition 1 just due to the nature of the holster and since im sliding it underneath my pants. It could change with more experience though.

They arent kidding about this being the "invisible holster" though. Sometimes i forget that the gun is there and no one has been able to tell that the gun is there even after i tell them where it is.

The smart carry and the super tuck are really two great holsters.
    I really suggest the Crossbreed belt, but being married I know what you are dealing with. There are some less expensive belts out there, however I have no expierience with them. A good belt will do you wonders so if you can't swing a Crossbreed right now try something else-pay attention to their measuring instructions and width of the belt.

Joker1

I probably get one in September after the dust has settled... Thanks for the recommendations

I've been thinking about getting a smartcarry as well as a crossbreed.

Do you find that it's hard to sit with the smartcarry? does your gun pound your jewels if you run with it?

cmb

tucked in shirt/cell phone

Quote Originally Posted by Bag Man View Post

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

I wear on my right hip 3-4:30 depending upon full size or subcompact and what I am wearing, i have a tuckable holster and tuck my shirt into it, and then pull out for some slacke all the way around, I did this before I carried b/c I hate a tight shirt and feeling restricted, i do not buy "t-shirt" material polos because they don't hang, but the ones i wear are heavy cotton either, I also buy them a little big and prefer the golf kind that are a little longer in the torso. As they are washed and dried and worn and they shrink up, I move them to the side with shirts that I wear only untucked. I am always on the look out for polos on sale that fit my criteria. i also snug my cell phone up on that side, and I think darker colors conceal better. I have 37" waist, wear 38" pants, am 6'0" about 205.

Nice review. I carry a g23 in a supertuck and am very happy with it. Im looking at a smartcarry for the times when i need a little deeper concealment. You like the way it works with the 19? Also, +1 on the belt. Makes a big difference.

bgcole - I'm with you. I have to wear a suit every day, and I tried the Supertuck - just didn't work for me. Nice holster, but would have required a whole new wardrobe of suits with bigger pants to work.

I've used the Smartcarry for almost exactly 2 years, with a G19 (18 months) and a G26 (6 months). I always carry fully loaded with a round in the chamber. Never a problem.

I did add a piece of sheet plastic in the gun pocket, to protect the trigger "just in case." It's not sewn in, just sits in there just fine. You can use sheet polystyrene plastic (available at hobby shops) or just cut a plastic gallon milk jug - whatever.

Hope this helps!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links