Leather squeeks, creaks, groans

This is a discussion on Leather squeeks, creaks, groans within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As a woman, I purse carried until my HBE holsters and belt were ready for my Smith snubby. First came my OWB pancake and belt ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leather squeeks, creaks, groans

As a woman, I purse carried until my HBE holsters and belt were ready for my Smith snubby. First came my OWB pancake and belt from Eric for carry at about 2-2:30. Some of my shirts are to short to cover properly, so also had Eric make an IWB for the same area. Both are beautiful.

I use the OWB when I walk my dog. I usually meet one or more friends at a big nature preserve with their dogs. They all know I carry and we all feel safer because of it. Anyway, one day the one friend said she can always tell if I am carrying. I asked how- does it show? She said no, I can hear your holster squeeking.

A couple days ago, neither friend could go with me to this park, and it is out in the country and remote-- I don't go alone. So I walked my dog around the small, safe college town near me. My dog is only 7 months old and she did so good heeling and paying attention, I took her to their small dog park as a reward after our walk. Again, I had the OWB on. Another woman was there with a dog of the same age and size, and we let our dogs run together.

I called my dog to me, bent over to make a fuss over her for coming and "creak" "groan" "squeek" were loudly heard.

The woman, alarmed, said "what was THAT???"

I quickly said it was a new leather wallet in my pocket. But she kept looking right where the noise came from.. And I wonder if she noticed the grip of me weapon because suddenly she "had to go"

We got our dogs and walked together back to the cars.

What can be done about noisy leather?? I know I cannot put any softening products on the holster. How about the belt? I have only been using this holster for 4-5 months, not everday. Will it get better with time? I don't notice it as much with the IWB but that may be because my jeans absorb the noise, or since it is IWB, there is more pressure on it, so there is less wiggle room for it to move and squeek?

Thanks for any advice. I tried to search, but my Mac is on the fritz and I am using my iPhone for a computer right now. Searching didn't want to work from the phone. Also makes it hard to scroll back to edit typos so I hope this post is ok...

Primal Scream

All of my leather rigs usually do this for a little while until I break them in and then it usually goes away. I beleive that some folks on here have tried a little baby powder where the belt and holster rubs together, have never tried that myself though. I'm sure one of the good folks here on the forum can confirm this. Good luck with the squeeks!
    Glock 26 4gen, H&K USPc, S&W 642, Wilson Combat 1911 CQB

Administrator
    Ditto:
    Try rubbing Baby Powder (Talcum Powder) into the stitches and onto the loops or slots.
    It will not hurt the holster. Sometimes that helps.

One holstermaker suggested rubbing candle wax on the offending spots. I've never needed to try it, my squeeking has always quit on it's own soon after daily wear.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    To me 4-5 months seems like enough time for squeaks to work themselves out. If the talcum powder doesn't work, I use a product called Lexol leather conditioner and preservative. I apply it to my holsters about once a year. It eliminated all squeaks and keeps the leather looking great. Never had any ill effects from using it, just don't over do it.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Baby powder should help. If that does not work, call up Eric for his recommendations.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Ok, thanks for the replies!

That wasn't 4-5 months of daily use... probably a few hours 3-4 times a week. When I carry to work, it is still purse, then locked up when I get there. I carry all the time, but between purse, which I try to avoid, and IWB and OWB, it doesn't add up to that many hours on each holster. I don't carry on body at home, I'm one of those on the table next to me people.

I did work at a place that sold fine saddlery years ago, and understand leather care... but not in relation to a good holster. I know you have to watch what you put on them - but still learning the fine points. I don't want to screw up these holsters.

I do have Lexol on hand. I put a tiny bit on a q-tip and put it around the inside of the slots where it will meet the belt. It soaks in pretty well, so didn't want to use a lot. Then I used Stübben Hamanol Leather Dressing on the stitching area, just a tiny bit rubbed in to the stitches with another q-tip, and only the stitches around the slots. I always liked this leather dressing best of any leather product. It's made by one of the finest saddle makers in the world. It's hard to find. I don't have horses any more, but keep it on hand to use on shoes and other leather items.

I don't have baby powder or talc on hand... I have Gold Bond Powder, but I don't think that will work... LOL... so I will pick up some next time I am out and put that on the rest of the stitching.

Thanks a lot for your help. My past experience with leather told me to soften up the holster where the belt and holster meet, but I have read on here not to put anything on the holster. I was afraid if I put some sort of leather dressing on the belt, it would eventually soak into the holster. Putting it only on the slots of the holster should soften it up to stop some of the noise, but not soften the retention of the gun.

Great! Thanks!

Baby powder does work, but don't worry...the last thing any BG should hear IS 'squeaking leather'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    I'd avoid softening it at the belt slots too, that may affect how it carries.

While the slots may be the source of the noise, often it's from where leather is sewn to leather. Again, baby powder has worked for me on a couple of mine that made some noise. I sprinkled it over the sewn seams, then worked it into them with an old toothbrush.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    One holstermaker suggested rubbing candle wax on the offending spots. I've never needed to try it, my squeeking has always quit on it's own soon after daily wear.
    I've used wax to quiet my holster and belt. Rub some on and buff it a little. Works great.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

Hello there, this is actually my first post here. I've read this forum before, and I figured it would be a better idea to post in a current open topic instead of creating a similar one. I just got an MTAC that is going to be put to use for regular carry now that I live somewhere I actually can do so (moved from NY to VA). My relevant question for those who own or have experience with these holsters is this:

While walking, the holster, the Comp-Tac gun belt I got with it or both makes an audible leather squeak sound. Now I've only had it for a couple days, and I assume that this will start to disappear after it has been worn in sufficiently. The reason I ask is because my friend got one too for the same gun and his doesn't do this. I'm really not well versed in caring for leather products or holsters, and I understand that this is a totally different holster from the one described in the original post, but as I said it seemed to me that it would be okay to include this question here. If not, I apologize. Any suggestions or input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

tell her its your bad back...

I heard mink oil makes the leather smoother if the holster was part kydek. However, it would make it less effective while drawing if it was full leather.

I wear an MTAC IWB and have no issues with any fabric I am wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSpatula View Post
    Hello there, this is actually my first post here. I've read this forum before, and I figured it would be a better idea to post in a current open topic instead of creating a similar one. I just got an MTAC that is going to be put to use for regular carry now that I live somewhere I actually can do so (moved from NY to VA). My relevant question for those who own or have experience with these holsters is this:

While walking, the holster, the Comp-Tac gun belt I got with it or both makes an audible leather squeak sound. Now I've only had it for a couple days, and I assume that this will start to disappear after it has been worn in sufficiently. The reason I ask is because my friend got one too for the same gun and his doesn't do this. I'm really not well versed in caring for leather products or holsters, and I understand that this is a totally different holster from the one described in the original post, but as I said it seemed to me that it would be okay to include this question here. If not, I apologize. Any suggestions or input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My boot's squeak too,. ??? Some days worse then others.. I was advised by a good friend to stay away from leather, but there is just something about leather I like..

The creak is the sound of security in my opinion. Im a fan. but baby or talculm powder will do the trick for ya.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links