why all the fancy leather for 1911's? - Page 2

why all the fancy leather for 1911's?

This is a discussion on why all the fancy leather for 1911's? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Maybe leather won't scuff up the shiny, engraved, gold-plated, pimped-out slides on your 1911 like kydex might. My opinion. Joker1...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: why all the fancy leather for 1911's?

Maybe leather won't scuff up the shiny, engraved, gold-plated, pimped-out slides on your 1911 like kydex might. My opinion.

Joker1

I like the feel and durability of my leather holster, but when I conceal my officers it goes into a left handed $8 uncle mikes that I stick in the small of my back. Left Handed because in the small of the back, it points the handle to the right.

http://www.uncle-mikes.com/products/..._holsters.html

Any sexy lady I've ever seen was always dressed in nice clothes just like a sexy 1911 needs to be dressed in nice leather
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Any sexy lady I've ever seen was always dressed in nice clothes just like a sexy 1911 needs to be dressed in nice leather
    Okay gents, Let's never forget the sexy lady dressed in NICE LEATHER.

Quality begets quality. No one wears a Rolex with a Timex band!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Because I don't want Kydex touching my Colt. Ever.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    It used to be that only certain "gentlemen" carried a 1911. Sort of an exclusive club so to speak. With prices coming down on cheaper made models that isn't so true anymore.

Those who were members of such a "club" were also usually of the sort to want their nice gun carried in a nice holster.

1911's can be some of the finest pieces of gun work in the world. They deserve to be carried in something that matches their elegance.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Administrator
    Well, initially I had a very jaded (and even somewhat rude) opinion regarding combination Kydex & Leather holsters.
    The entire idea of it just seemed pretty silly to me.

I have always been able to admit when I am/was wrong and I can see how the Kydex/Leather combination has helped to produce a good workable & servicable IWB holster for less money than would be the case with an all leather hand boned/molded rig.

That having been said I still only carry OWB and prefer leather.

For me it is metal guns in leather holsters, plastic guns in kydex. As to why... 'cus I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by 380ACP View Post
    Because I don't want Kydex touching my Colt. Ever.
    AMEN
    "The Beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

"When loss of liberty is looming, as it is now The siren sounds first in the hearts of freedoms vanguard"- Heston
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

I love the way the gun clicks in and out in kydex. For competition it would be no contest.
    But I love leather holsters by the top makers even more. Just to look at my Nossar shark pancake is a pleasure in itself.

Regards,
    Jerry

To each their own. Some like it because it looks nice, some because it is the most comfortable, some for a combo of the two.

I use what is most comfortable for me. It's inside my pants, I really don't care what it looks like.

There is something to be said about fine craftsmanship in leatherwork. I appreciate the work they do. With that said, in my experience the fine craftsmanship of an Alessi ankle rig doesn't negate that fact that it is bulky and heavy when compared to the Renegade made of thin leather and elastic, which costs 1/3 as much.

As far as "leather can be handed down for generations", I don't bite on that. I use my gear. It might last a couple lifetimes, but so might my Comp-Tac holsters. Cheap holsters whether leather or kydex won't last as long as quality.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckInNy View Post
    ... but what I don't get is why spend top dollar for a leather holster that you can't adjust when you can get something like a supertuck for half the price and is fully adjustable?
    Because the top leather holsters don't need to be adjusted.

Here is a post I made last year about the same topic...
    A handmade holster has a lot more time put into it. The custom holster maker will also work with you for your needs, and is likely to get a lot of custom problems that the mass makers will not. When he gets a lot of the same types of requests, he can incorporate it into his design, therefore making the entire holster better.

Even a good custom holster maker knows he will never be able to sell the kind of volume that the 'off the shelf' guys can move, so he knows he has to do it with quality and word of mouth. There is a reason why there are 2 or 3 names in the business that constantly come up as great leather makers. There is also a reason why they have such long lead times. They are in demand, and they are in demand because their products work, are comfortable, incredibly concealable, and are pretty impressive to look at, too.

While they may not be the best businessmen, the small custom holster maker provides a product like no other. A piece of leather that is perfectly mated to your carry piece and with a thousand small details that he takes pride in, and that the wearer can take pride in, too.
    I don't know of any kydex manufacturers that I could say the same about. Just my .02(don't forget to adjust for inflation)
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

leather works for some,kydex or hybrids work for others.i have both but if i can set aside some money one day i want a pure custom holster but 175.00 ouch but they look high quality,and i've heard once you get one you'll love it and understand the price.one day..damn economy..

1943 - 2009
    My guns are blued steel, my stocks (not "grips") are wood, and my holsters and gear are leather.

Call me a traditionalist...

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Buy once, cry once. Cheap is forever!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links