why all the fancy leather for 1911's?

This is a discussion on why all the fancy leather for 1911's? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just to add my personal opinion . . . I believe there is a certain beauty associated with a handgun that is only enhanced by ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: why all the fancy leather for 1911's?

Just to add my personal opinion . . . I believe there is a certain beauty associated with a handgun that is only enhanced by the addition of custom grips, leather holsters and or other various additions, finishes, etc. Some people see it, some don't. It doesn't detract or deminish that persons enjoyment of his handgun if he only sees it as a functional tool rather than an aesthetic thing of beauty, but he's sure missing something that can only make the enjoyment better.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

2. Remove Ads

Because its Leather and we are American! haha,

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by stuckInNy View Post
    I just bought a Springfield Micro 45 3 inch 1911 and I'm in the process of researching holsters for it.

My question is: Why do most 1911 owners go for an all leather holster like a VMII or the like vs something like a supertuck?
    Because they work, plain and simple.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

The only holster I have at the moment is the CB supertuck though I like it allot , I have ordered a Tuck "Secret" and am waiting on it to arrive. I like wearing at the 3 o'clock and the Tuck is more comfortable at 4 and back.

I get more money saved and I'm going with a PureKustom possible with a emblem embossed on it. Just something about nice leather.

Any one seen the Desantis stuff. I have a few but how do they compare to some of the customs out there?

Ya know this is one of those All american things like Apple Pie, it just doesn't need explanation...
    "The Beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

"When loss of liberty is looming, as it is now The siren sounds first in the hearts of freedoms vanguard"- Heston
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    I can honestly say that if I ever run into a guy with a Nighthawk or similar price range 1911 in a $10 Uncle Mikes softy holster, I will beat that man to death with my bare hands.

That just ain't right, man!

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    I can honestly say that if I ever run into a guy with a Nighthawk or similar price range 1911 in a $10 Uncle Mikes softy holster, I will beat that man to death with my bare hands.

I would ask where he stole that gun, Because a person that bought it, Would know better!!!

Quote Originally Posted by trose49 View Post
    Any one seen the Desantis stuff. I have a few but how do they compare to some of the customs out there?
    They have some fine holsters. But customs are made to fit. Course you're going to wait until your patients run out...

I wasn't just trying to be a jerk earlier. But you can not find nice thick cow hide holsters in other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post

I think it's interesting that a person will pay $1,000 for a firearm and keep it in a $10 holster.

But, now that I think of it, people pay $40,000 or so for a car and leave it outside while their garage is full of crap that the wife didn't want in the house anymore.
    & my carry weapon - Kimber Ultra II Stainless 45

chicks dig leather!

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckInNy View Post
    I just bought a Springfield Micro 45 3 inch 1911 and I'm in the process of researching holsters for it.

My question is: Why do most 1911 owners go for an all leather holster like a VMII or the like vs something like a supertuck?

I understand that leather has a definite look and coolness factor to it... if you have a classy gun you'll want a classy holster for it...

... but what I don't get is why spend top dollar for a leather holster that you can't adjust when you can get something like a supertuck for half the price and is fully adjustable?

I have not read the responses, and am only addressing this original post. I may therefore say something already said by another, and it will be a case of like-mindedness, not being a copycat.

For one thing, many 1911 owners do indeed use cheaper leather. As a group, however, those who carry 1911s tend to be very serious pistoleros, who have spent quite a bit of money on their pistols, accessories, and the amount of break-in ammo that 1911s often seem to require. It simply follows that such guys will spend the money on high-ends rigs, too.

Secondly, the 1911 is indeed an "image" gun, and 1911 guys will tend to want an "image" rig for it. Try searching for such terms barbecue gun, barbeque gun, and BBQ gun. Much of the 1911 mystique is tradition, and leather is traditional.

Thirdly, if a guy knows his favored draw angle, there is no need for adjustability. With the 1911, there is a collective philosophy on how it should be used and carried, and CONSISTENCY of the draw is part of that philosophy. Part of a consistent draw is a consistent placement of the pistol on one's body. Adjustability is an anathema to consistency.

Because they can.

My reason for leather is the comfort and the quality. I have holsters from Milt Sparks that I have used for over 20 years. I also have holsters from Matt Del Fatti that I have used for quite some time. All of these holsters are extremely comfortable and will provide many more years of service.
    NRA life member.

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    I don't own a 1911 or a leather holster...but man I sure do want both. What a great combination. Nothing looks finer on a man's side except a great looking woman.
    SCGunLover1

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links