why all the fancy leather for 1911's?

This is a discussion on why all the fancy leather for 1911's? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just bought a Springfield Micro 45 3 inch 1911 and I'm in the process of researching holsters for it. My question is: Why do ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: why all the fancy leather for 1911's?

why all the fancy leather for 1911's?

I just bought a Springfield Micro 45 3 inch 1911 and I'm in the process of researching holsters for it.

My question is: Why do most 1911 owners go for an all leather holster like a VMII or the like vs something like a supertuck?

I understand that leather has a definite look and coolness factor to it... if you have a classy gun you'll want a classy holster for it...

... but what I don't get is why spend top dollar for a leather holster that you can't adjust when you can get something like a supertuck for half the price and is fully adjustable?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Just find something within your own personal budget and carry in that. There are so many great holster makers that make good serviceable holsters in a variety of price ranges.

Not sure that there really is a "cut & dry" exact answer to your question.
    Why do I have nice classy ivory grips on all of my 1911s when plain rubber ones would probably work out just fine?

I guess the answer would be that I really, really, love ivory grips and also that I am a really classy guy so...I think that I deserve classy grips on my Colts.

If you really want to research holsters, look here...
    HOLSTERS

If you want classy grips, look here...
    http://www.esmeralda.cc/
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I guess I was wondering if an all leather holster had an advantage over a hybrid.

Well, I think your question really has two parts. There are shooters who like all leather holsters versus kydex or hybrids, for various functional reasons like fit, feel, etc, or just preference.

Then there's guys who like fancy leather holsters, and that's generally for esthetic reasons, like having a fancy watch or fancy wheels on your car. There's no justifying that stuff except to say "because I can!"
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Because..........

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I would call it pride of ownership just like a nice car. When you spend say two grand or more on a custom 1911 which I have a few of your not going to stick them in a cheap holster or kydex. It would be like putting cheap no name tires on my 67 Chevelle SS 396. Honestly, I probably have a few thousand dollars worth of custom leather and belts. I can afford it and I can't take it with me so I enjoy it while I can. It really helps that my wife is also into guns and loves good leather as much as I do. As you get more into collecting you'll more than likely wind up with some yourself. It's an addiction but a good one!!

It comes down to what you can afford and personal preference.

For concealed-carry; Supertuck or something similar.
    For open-carry, showing off, bragging; the best custom leather you can afford.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckInNy View Post
    ... but what I don't get is why spend top dollar for a leather holster that you can't adjust
    Not all leather holsters are the same. some are comfortable some aren't. But there is no comparison between leather and kydex in my opinion.

Plastic breaks, cows don't Look how many holsters are still around after many many many years. Does anyone really think, Kydex holsters will be handed down to younger generations.

I have a gun belt and holsters for cowboy guns my dad had when he was young. I would bet many members here, have leather holsters over twenty years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Pure Kustom View Post
    Not all leather holsters are the same. some are comfortable some aren't. But there is no comparison between leather and kydex in my opinion.

Plastic breaks, cows don't Look how many holsters are still around after many many many years. Does anyone really think, Kydex holsters will be handed down to younger generations.

I have a gun belt and holsters for cowboy guns my dad had when he was young. I would bet many members here, have leather holsters over twenty years old.
    good point.
    I may have to save a little extra for some leather... man your holsters look sweet

All preference, and bragging rights lol, even on conceal carry I found my self spending alot of money on a nice shoulder holster for the winter which no one will see When you spend around a grand for that 1911...u feel better when u hear it slide into a nice piece of leather...as opposed to the crunchy feeling of kydex
    "The Beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

"When loss of liberty is looming, as it is now The siren sounds first in the hearts of freedoms vanguard"- Heston
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    You pretty much answered your own question, "leather has a definite look and coolness factor to it". The only tragedy about leather masterpieces made by Brigade, Milt Sparks, HBE and Del Fatti, is that they're always hidden from view.
    Leather fits the gun better and grips better. There's something about plastic that's just repulsive. Leather is craftsmanship at it's finest, plastic is just something a mold spit out.
    Pure Kustom is correct, leather lasts forever. I have belts and holsters that are at least 20 years old and look like new. They require a little touching up and TLC, but I've never thrown away a leather holster because it was worn out.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Once you try the comfort of something like a Sparks VM2 or a Pure Kustom, all questions will be answered. A chunk of plastic cannot come close.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Why do I choose quality leather (KD)? Comfort.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links