IWB Questions; Make and Model?

This is a discussion on IWB Questions; Make and Model? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok guys, am a newbie to this forum, but not to shooting and/or carry. For many years my job had me traveling all over the ...

Thread: IWB Questions; Make and Model?

Ok guys, am a newbie to this forum, but not to shooting and/or carry. For many years my job had me traveling all over the Southeastern and Southwestern U. S. Many of these states have/had open carry or 3 step type carry laws that I would follow while traveling. Occasionally I would carry IWB while walking from my car to my hotel room and vice versa.

Now I am looking to carry legitimately and am very interested in getting your thoughts in regards to a couple very specific questions. From browsing the forum and reading many threads, it appears that the Crossbreed Supertuck models might be what I'm interested in. My weapon is an H & K USP compact .40. I live in So. FL. where it is hot all of the time, and I generally wear light weight clothes, shirt untucked always, therefore, a holster that makes tucking one's shirt in is not a necessity, but I am very interested in comfort against the body and a secure fit and feel. That being said, here are my questions.

1) How does the CB ST feel when worn at 4:00 or 5:00? This is my preferred position for extended carry, and appendix for short time carry.

2) Does the CB "Quickclip" model perform better than the supertuck for 4 - 5:00 and appendix carry.

3) Do the crossbreed holsters in general help to conceal the added width (thickness) of the H & K USP model, or any of the fatter model handguns that you guys might have experiance with?

4) Does the crossbreed need to be worn attached to the belt or can it be attached to the waistband of jeans or shorts?

5) If in answering these questions, a more appropriate model is recommended, which one and why?

The most important components I am looking for is IWB comfort in hot weather, and the ability to mask the thick slide of the USP compact. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

I can help with a few questions.

1. Rides good there. I wear mine at abot 4 or 4:30.
    2. Dont have a quick clip so i cant answer this.
    3. It conceals my Glock 23 very well.
    4. I guess it could attach to just jeans or shorts but would be MUCH better with a good belt.
    5. No other rec from me.

They have a 2-week try and see if you like it offer. Or they did. Try it and see if you like it. I love mine.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Here are my thoughts:

- Never owned a Supertuck. I own CompTac Mtac Hybrid and Bluegrass Holsters Mason Dixon hybrid. Both are wonderful and high quality.

- Holsters that stay close to the body and are sturdy make the better concealment holsters.

- A thick gun is a thick gun. Nothing will make it thinner. Again, a holster that keeps that big thick gun close to the body is the best concealment.

- The farther around your back that you carry the easier it is to completely conceal but it makes it harder and usually slower to get un-holstered. It can also damage your kidneys or spine if you fall on the gun. If you are tossed or fall onto your back, and the attacker is on top of you, it will be near impossible to draw your weapon.

- Hot humid weather makes IWB carry more uncomfortable than it should be

- If wearing IWB without an undershirt for comfort then I suggest the holster have the inside layer made of horsehide. It is smooth as silk against the skin and is sweat proof. It will remain dry and will not let sweat bleed through to your inner layer cowhide or to the gun.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Try A TT Gunleather

That's what I use for my P2000 (almost exactly like your Compact.

TT GunLeather High Quality Leather Gun Holsters

They're much less expensive than a VMII & the order/delivery time is also much shorter.

I wear mine @ about 4:30 and it is soooo comfortable. I regularily drive from western Colo to Denver, a 5 hr drive, wearing it. I hardly notice it.

Refer to the thread: "HK USP Compact, what holster do you use?" here on this forum for pics of various IWBs, including mine.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

I carry the LCP, which is smaller than your carry. I use the CB micro clip. It is very comfortable, even on hot and muggy days. I wear mine at about 3:30 - 4. Sometimes appendix carry, if I am walking around. The one you will be looking at is a bit bigger for a heavier gun, but from what I have read, it is still a good option. Hope you find one that works. I was trying to be one that didnt have a big box of holsters.
    Never argue with idiots - they'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Wow, really good info, thank you so much. It appears that IWB is the best way to go for the USPc and the Crossbreed ST isn't the only option. Something that I found really informative is the mention of horsehair over cowhide for hot environments, new to me, but very important consideration when making a choice.

Well, I have my boxes of shame like most folks here. I finally found a holster that I just love. Look around and hopefully you can find one you really like and avoid spending enough on holsters to buy a new gun.
    This is what I carry IWB in now. This is leather lined kydex.

Silent Thunder Kydex/Leather <b>IWB</b>
    Have Gun ~ Will Carry
    S-Safety
    M-Motivation
    A-Awareness
    R-Responsibility
    T-Training

Don't forget to shop here, too...

HOLSTERS
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

First off, welcome to the forum Accelerator. Living in S. Fla., I too wear light clothing, usually shorts or jeans with a t-shirt or camp shirt. I wear "wife-beater" t-shirts underneath all of my shirts for comfort without overheating in the FL sun. I carry a G23 in a K&D Dakota Defender at the 4 o'clock position. I hardly even know that it is there. It has kydex clips that is best worn on a belt for added stability. It also has an extended piece of leather that keeps the slide of the gun from poking into my side. There are many options out there. Just my .02!

I just got the suppertux for my 45acp It is a great holster, very comfatable to wear.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Accelerator View Post
    Wow, really good info, thank you so much. It appears that IWB is the best way to go for the USPc and the Crossbreed ST isn't the only option. Something that I found really informative is the mention of horsehair over cowhide for hot environments, new to me, but very important consideration when making a choice.
    Its horse HIDE not horse hair. Its just like cowhide only it it much much smoother and almost impervious to water.

It makes it much more difficult in the manufacture process but it is worth it.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Sponsored Links