Horizontal or Vertical shoulder holster?

This is a discussion on Horizontal or Vertical shoulder holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I cant make up my mind about which way to go with the shoulder holster. It seems as though there are many more holsters to ...

Thread: Horizontal or Vertical shoulder holster?

I cant make up my mind about which way to go with the shoulder holster. It seems as though there are many more holsters to choose from if I go with a horizontal, but Im worried about the size of the gun (Ruger GP100 4"). It seems as though the vertical would be the only one that would actually conceal the gun. Im pretty thin too. Any tips?

(Or would I be better off just getting a regular holster strong side?)
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

Administrator
    If you are really thin then you'll probably not want a horizontal for a 4".

Take a look at the Bianchi X-15 - Vertical
    http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/...TxtModelID=X15

The secondary retaining strap is usually not needed at all.

One problem is that the spring steel retention makes re-holstering a bit of a PITA for practice drawing but, who cares...really.

It will allow you to carry vertically and have the firearm break out of the rig for a decently fast draw and presentation.

In an actual self-defense senario you grab the firearm and pull.

Not very complicated and in the aftermath of a self-defense shooting you'll not likely be re-holstering before the LEO arrive or after they arrive since the LEO will then take control of your firearm.

Galco International also has a vertical shoulder rig for your 4" Ruger.

For all it's worth, I've tried both and greatly prefer the vertical...mine is a Fist (naturally)...I seldom use it in FL.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Horizontal I would say. That's what I used to carry a full size 1911 in. I suppose one could get used to a vertical for carry, but in my opinion a shoulder holster is slower than strong side in the first place, but the horizontal shoulder holster seems naturally faster for me than a vertical just by going through the movements of a draw. Pros and cons? I'd say with a good vertical holster one wouldn't need a thumb break snap for good retention, but a solid tie down would almost be a necessity. With a good horizontal, a thumb break or some form of positive retention is almost necessary and a solid tie down would be an option. Some depends on the holster design, and some depends on you (like it always does). My preference with the horizontal shoulder holster is with a cant that puts the pistol grip perpendicular with my body or that adjusts that way for me without putting undue stress on the other parts of the harness where I could not adjust for comfort. Again....in my opinion, size of the pistol relates to weight, and how it's distributed overall. Granted....a 5 3/4" barreled wheelgun would be better concealed in a vertical shoulder holster simply by means of imagination for a person with dimensions like me. All in all, I wouldn't think you would have a problem concealing that Ruger either way.

I carry a S&W M60 with a 4 inch barrel in a Bianchi X-15. It works out real well.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    For all it's worth, I've tried both and greatly prefer the vertical...mine is a Fist (naturally)...I seldom use it in FL.
    I wasnt aware that Fist made shoulder holsters, I'll have to check them out.
    (EDIT: do you know if they are available for revolvers like the GP100? It looks as though the retention system might be problematic for a gun with an external hammer).

Thanks everyone for the help so far! I will also be taking a close look at the Bianchi
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

My experience and opinion:

Taurus PT-111 in horizontal holster with tie-downs. Works GREAT! Fast draw.

Beretta 92 in vertical holster because it was too long and printed in a horizontal rig. - Draw not as fast as horizontal but if you remove the cover garment it doesn't freak people as bad as the muzzle points down. Also, I do not have a tie-down for the gun side and it flops a bit. Both work though.

Sponsored Links