Milt Sparks Watch Six and VM II

This is a discussion on Milt Sparks Watch Six and VM II within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone have a top view photo of a Milt Sparks Watch Six next to a Versa Max II? Is it significantly thinner? I currently ...

Thread: Milt Sparks Watch Six and VM II

Does anyone have a top view photo of a Milt Sparks Watch Six next to a Versa Max II? Is it significantly thinner?

I currently have a VM II and it draws and reholsters great. I have heard conflicting stories about the mouth staying open on a Watch Six. Can anyone who has both provide some input? Will the Watch Six put up with years of drawing and reholstering with one hand?
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    You need to go to the Milt Sparks web site and read what they say about the Watch Six. Apparently it does have it's shortcomings, including those you address.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    You need to go to the Milt Sparks web site and read what they say about the Watch Six. Apparently it does have it's shortcomings, including those you address.
    Yes, I did that already. I would just like to get some opinions from the members of DC who have used both holsters.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

kpw
    I've used them both. From a strictly carrying perspective, I'll take the WS anyday. It is considerably thinner. For me, it is much more comfortable. If you are drawing and reholstering often throughout the day, the VM II is the better choice. I don't find the WS difficult to reholster with but the VM II is easier. But, then again, I don't find myself drawing and reholstering too often throughout my average day.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    The major difference is that the WS does not have a metal reinforcement band around the holster mouth which makes it thinner but harder to reholster. Alessi also sells this same holster but instead of loops uses the Dual Talon clips.

VIP Member
    I have several VM-IIs and I very much want my IWB holster with a reinforced mouth... come on now, the thickness of one small piece of leather is not going to significantly affect the holster's ability to be concealed.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    It is more than just the thickness of one piece of leather, as that one piece is doubled, and then there is that piece of metal, too. I don't think it affects concealment so much as comfort. I notice my Watch Six to be more comfortable than my Garrity In-Cognito, which is comparable in construction to a VM2, for the same weapon. (P229) I have Sparks Summer Special and Heritage rigs for 1911s and revolvers, which provides a less exact comparison. I also have IWB rigs that are now out of production, also without reinforcing metal bands, for 1911 pistols and revolvers. That bit of reinforcement offers the advantage of easier one-handed re-holstering, but it does affect all-day comfort, at least for me. This is, of course, a very personal thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I have several VM-IIs and I very much want my IWB holster with a reinforced mouth... come on now, the thickness of one small piece of leather is not going to significantly affect the holster's ability to be concealed.
    My VM II conceals well. I was wondering about comfort. My VM II is comfortable, I just wanted to know if the Watch Six is MORE comfortable. But I do not want to lose the abilty to reholster with one hand.

I don't draw and holster all day long. But I train with what I carry and that feature is important to me. So far the Watch Six sounds a little "iffy" on the ability to reholster with one hand easily.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Links