New to Concealed Carry - Holster Questions

This is a discussion on New to Concealed Carry - Holster Questions within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new to Concealed Carry and am looking for other Womens' recommendations on a mid back BWB holster. Don't want to change up my ...

Thread: New to Concealed Carry - Holster Questions

I am new to Concealed Carry and am looking for other Womens' recommendations on a mid back BWB holster. Don't want to change up my wardrobe or dress habits too much. I usually wear form fitting jeans/pants and tops - will be going a little bigger on the tops to conceal and would like to know what you seasoned women out there use. Appreciate any help you can give me.

Check out Cornered Cat - Table of Contents for a ton of women's views.
    Welcome to the forum!

PS...what is BWB?
    Last edited by AZ Husker; July 21st, 2009 at 08:25 PM.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

By mid-back, do you mean small-of-back? If so, you may wish to reconsider - if you fall or get pushed onto your back, a handgun in that position could injure your spine.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I'm with 10thmtn on this one... the small of the back , although seems like a good place for concealed carry really is not ideal.

When standing drawing your weapon takes a little longer and you run more of a risk getting it hung up on your clothes bringing it around your body.. Sitting down it is even worse. IMHO

One thing for sure ..I personally know how it feels to fall on my back/but and crack a tail bone falling on my handgun... it is not fun... For a month I suffered with that one.

I'm not a woman, but that is my 2 cents...
    Nothing says more about how you feel, than a lead flower.

Women have hips and usually a smaller waist which automatically tilts the holster into the ribs. (not very comfortable). Men's holsters are made to tilt the gun into the rib area a little because most men do not have the same figure. A man's holster will tilt the gun inwards and along with hips that add to this tilt it might be uncomfortable.

Depending on the pistol and size of the stocks 2-3 or 4 O'Clock position is the best to conceal and the arm on the strong side also plays a part in concealment as well.

Small of the back rigs on a woman (slim or avarage figured) will leave little room for concealment.

Here is a good series of women's holsters and the video with it shows a little of what I was trying to say in the above. It also explains about high riding vs lower riding holsters for momen.

LADYFIST HOLSTERS

bosco

Depending upon what you plan to carry, you might take a look at Crossbreed's MiniTuck. It is smaller than the SuperTuck and they claim it is a better fit for a lady.

MiniTuck
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    By mid-back, do you mean small-of-back? If so, you may wish to reconsider - if you fall or get pushed onto your back, a handgun in that position could injure your spine.
    Simply not a true statement. This myth has been passed around way too long. Please provide some stats with this. The physics would make this highly unlikely. But I am open to hear some stats if someone has them.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post
    Simply not a true statement. This myth has been passed around way too long. Please provide some stats with this. The physics would make this highly unlikely. But I am open to hear some stats if someone has them.
    Perhaps you missed my post..

I tried it for about 4 months when I fell last November in my driveway and cracked my tail bone. I am sure that not everyone that carries in the small of the back will fall and hurt themselves but it still could happen.

After that I was still convinced that small of the back was still a good method and a friend and I did some draw test with a shot clock.. both of us did 10 shots from the SOB and side holstered and found that it took an average of .57 seconds longer to draw from the small of the back. We both used a Glock 17 .. Twice I got snagged in my t-shirt and my friend got snagged 3 times in his button flannel shirt.

I know this was not a pure scientific study but it was enough to convince both of us.
    Last edited by Hardcorp; July 22nd, 2009 at 02:46 PM.
    Nothing says more about how you feel, than a lead flower.

I carried SOB for a few years and found out that it was fine when standing. Sitting and getting in and out of a car became a problem at times and bending (most bending is done in the forward direction) tended to cause my cover garment (a jacket) to ride up and I was constantly reaching back to check my cover.

I switched to either 2-3 or 4 O'Clock carry (depending on cant of the holster, pistol or activity) and never went back. It seemed that with most activities the cover garment was less likely to ride up or allow the pistol to show a print. It was also easier and less noticeable for me to check my cover without constantly reaching around back when I got in or out of a car or bent down to get something. I also noticed that my strong arm added another layer of cover to help prevent any accidental printing.

My 2 cents.

bosco

Maybe it's just that I am a woman, but I don't believe she means small of back carry. I'm thinking she's more than likely talking about the 5 o'clock position that would be, for lack of a better phrase, above her strong side butt cheek, lol. This is where I carry because I find, for OWB carry, it is the easiest place for me to conceal. I too have been searching, and searching.... AND SEARCHING... for the holster I have pictured in my mind... I think I may have found that holster today. GlockGirl, if you would like, I would be more than happy to provide more information over PM. So drop me a line if you would like my .02 :)

BWB

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Check out Cornered Cat - Table of Contents for a ton of women's views.
    Welcome to the forum!

PS...what is BWB?
    Below the Waistband meaning inside and below - with the grip just at the belt. Thanks for the info - will check out cornered cat.

Look here...

LADYFIST HOLSTERS
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post
    Thanks, and you are quite correct. A fall on your pistol is going to hurt and carry risk of injury no matter where you carry it. And SOB doesn't nec. mean over the spine, anywhere from 5:00 to 7:00 can be considered SOB. I carried this way for years (palm out draw in my case), and found if fine even for sitting/driving. Yes, it's a compromise, as is every method of carry. And it is no longer my #1 choice. But it's still viable, conceals very well and is an option I continue to keep in the "bag of tricks".

Regardless, the OP has clarified BWB and it doesn't seem to indicate a clock position on the belt, it is one of ride height. She's looking for a very deep riding IWB holster.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

FIST makes an entire line of holsters for women. Give them a close look LADYFIST HOLSTERS
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Sponsored Links