types of belts

This is a discussion on types of belts within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Boy this must be my day for questions Ok, What experience have you guys had with different types of gun belts for CC. The choices ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: types of belts

types of belts

Boy this must be my day for questions Ok, What experience have you guys had with different types of gun belts for CC. The choices seem to be: extra thick leather, two pieces stiched together, 1 1/4", 1 1/2", two pieces with some stiffening material inbetween, on a curve, straight, tapered and non..... Help!!!!
    Greg
    I encourage peace and carry one!

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    I find a stiff 2 pc. leather belt the best, but also the garrison belt for L.E. works well too, if properly built.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Personally, if the belt is well made and has a solid buckle and is attached to your belt solidly, it will work. So much emphasis is placed on name brand products these days that I don't understand it.

If it holds your pants up, holds your weapon well and is made of good material that won't rot, warp, fall apart .. and .. it's comfortable to you, then go with it.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

I use 1.5 and 1.75 inch belts, leather, two ply.

No need for contour IMO, belt will contour to you with use, belt stiffeners will keep belt from breaking in to you.

I have a brown Davis belt that is 23 years old, that is still used when I need a 32" belt in brown. Yes belt shows lots of wear in the area where holsters are mounted, but works as well as when new.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Brommeland Combat Dress Belt.
    http://www.brommelandgunleather.com/Products/Belts.htm
    This is what I use, you can not go wrong with it. Very comfortable. It is cut on a curve.

My better half has a Urban Gun Belt from Josh Bulman. It is slightly thinner but still very stiff and is also a great choice. This belt is also curved.
    http://www.bulmangunleather.com/belts.html

Both of these Custom Holster makers are great to deal with and you will not find any finer gun leather than from these guys. They are both very patient and will take the time to help you chose what will fit you needs.

If you are on a budget take a look at the Wilderness 5 stitch. It will do the job but is not as comfortable for me as the leather belts.
    http://www.lightningarms.com/products.htm

I stick with 1.5 inch belt width so all my holsters will properly fit all my belts. As far as taper that is cosmetic. I perfer straight but if I was going for a little more formal the tapered belt with the smaller buckle looks a little more fancy.
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

I found a nice stiff belt at a Levis store for about $25. Works well for the money.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

I like my Wilderness 5 stitch alot and use it almost every day.If I am to use leather I like my 1 1/2 inch Milt Sparks belt or my tapered Mitch Rosen 1 1/2 inch belt.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Howdy!
    The Wilderness 5 Stitch is a good option, and is a lot of belt for the money. Jim the Beltman makes a really decent belt for a very reasonable price as well.
    If you do prefer leather, please be advised that the majority of the strength in a piece of leather lies in the first 1/10 of an inch on the grain (smooth) side. This means that in order to get a belt that really performs well, it must be made from two plys so that you get the additional lateral strength from another grain surface. Extra thickness, or a suede lining only serves to make the belt thicker - it does not add much, if any strength at all.
    The type of leather used, and the location (and direction) that it is cut on the hide also makes a difference in how it performs.
    Being pre-curved makes it MUCH more comfortable in the first few weeks that it is worn (until it breaks in and takes the shape of your body).
    Also, look for even, heavy stitching, and solid brass hardware. Good luck!

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    <shrug> I just use a Carhartt belt. Nothing fancy. It's fairly thick and made of bridle leather. Picked it up after my other one (forget the brand) finally wore out after about five years.

Josh <><

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well...lots of good advice but keep in mind you'll get all kinds of opinions on the net...even from us crazy holster makers.

First off look at what you need the belt to do.......I'll expand on this slightly.
    Are you carrying a Walther PPK in pocket or IWB? Or 2 1911's with 4 extra mags OWB? See the difference....what your asking the belt to do will determine which belt you need.

The single layer belts are OK...the carharts/levis etc...for very light duty....carrying a light gun IWB etc...they may serve your purpose.
    BUT keep this in mind. The heaviest single layer belt may stretch up to 1" in the first week you have it and over 2" before you retire it.

This usually isnt a big deal when carrying a light gun IWB....but if you are carrying even a moderately heavy setup OWB then you need Lateral support. The heaviest single layer belt wont do it well for long.

Like Gary said.....dual layer belts that are glued and stitched are much stronger than the sum of their parts. They offer much greater lateral support needed for carrying a gun for years.
    The 5 stitch belts are great also...and the Beltman makes some damn fine stuff too.

First look at what you belt really needs to do and go from there.

Shoot well.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Hi Eric,

Just a question: I've not had any problems with the Taurus, two mags, a mini-mag, and a Leatherman (given as a gift to me years back btw) being carried on a single layer belt of good construction. In fact, I prefer the single layer for simplicity. If, or when, the belt stretches, that's what my leather working tools (especially the hole punch :D ) are for.

Comments?

Thanks,

Josh <><

When I started to carry I used a 1.25" K-Mart belt and thought it was great. Then I upgraded to a 1.5" single ply and thought that was the best thing ever. Finally I said f-it and coughed up $50 for a "gun belt", 1.5" double ply with stiffener. Holy dog nipples!!! When people say the belt is 50% of the carry package they are not lying. In fact I would place the importance at more like 75%. I now carry N-frames for 14hrs+ with no fatigue. With a lesser belt I'd be tired of bending over to pull my drawers back up.

Once again the importance of a good stiff belt can't be overstated, and a 1.5" is probably best for most needs.

And listen to our holster makers. My opinion may be like an A-hole, but these guys do this for their livelyhood. They know of that of which they speak.

I'll have to make do with my cheaper, single layer leather belt for now, IWB or OWB. I'm on Weight Watchers !!
    But "I'LL BE BACK", for a real belt soon..

Remember those belts we wore with bell bottoms back in the 70's with holes punched the full length? Problem solved! Actually, mine had three teeth and all those holes ... I was super cool!

Seriously, I've been wearing a Milt Sparks belt everyday since early 2000 and it's served me well. I've currently got another on order with Eric at HBE and plans to order a third from Gary Brommeland as soon as funds allow.

Those regular, daily wear casual belts feel fine for carry ... until you experience what a true gun belt can do for you. I refuse to buy anything else now.
    Jack

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Call Gary Brommeland and order his 1.5" dress belt. OUTSTANDING. the belt is this cornerstone of your carry rig. it is not the piece you want to skimp on. A good belt can hold even a bad holster well. just ask uncle mike.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links