Belt Width

This is a discussion on Belt Width within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alright guys what belt width should I go with? to hold up the big boy, getting an MTAC holster, I know crossbreed has awesome belts, ...

Thread: Belt Width

Belt Width

Alright guys what belt width should I go with? to hold up the big boy, getting an MTAC holster, I know crossbreed has awesome belts, recommended width? im 5'11 130lbs a lil string bean
    "The Beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

"When loss of liberty is looming, as it is now The siren sounds first in the hearts of freedoms vanguard"- Heston
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

2. Remove Ads

I have an 1 1/4" and 1 1/2". Depends on what pants one wears mainly. Some don't take well to 1 1/2" wide, thick belts. I push some of my belt loops to the limit once in a while.

Depends on the belt. You can get one that's fairly stiff and capable of holding well, despite "only" being 1.25". There are a few, out there, that are somewhat flimsy despite being 1.5" or greater. Some belt makers offer options such as adding a stiffener between the two layers.

Over the years, I have slightly adjusted my carry gear to accommodate me and my carry style. For example, all of my shorts, jeans and slacks support 1.5" belts.

I've done a few, but two are notable:

1. For a fairly stiff, police-like belt, consider Kramer. Extremely well made and durable. Plain and functional looking, it'll last a good long while.

2. For a belt that's a bit softer and more comfortable for daily use, consider a Beltman. Did mine without the stiffener and might consider doing so on the next ones. With the tapered ends, it makes the belt a bit more comfortable. At 1.5", it's firm enough for a ~30oz gun and holster. Heavier than that, I'd probably opt for the stiffener.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Assistant Administrator
    Most of my jeans will only accept 1 1/4 - but with a thick belt obtained from a guy who sells at my local Fall Foliage week - it works well.

I think thickness and stiffness is the main deal - winning over pure width.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

1943 - 2009
    Whichever belt width you choose, it's imperative that the belt match the width of the holster belt slots or loops exactly.

The advantage to exactly matching the belt and holster is to keep the holstered firearm from shifting position while you're wearing it.

Also make sure your gun belt is threaded through every belt loop on your trousers.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Over the years, I have slightly adjusted my carry gear to accommodate me and my carry style. For example, all of my shorts, jeans and slacks support 1.5" belts.
    Same thing that I have done. I find the 1.5" belt to be the most versatile width. FWIW
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Ive got a 1.5 inch. It doesnt fit all of my beltloops great. Ill pick up a 1.25 inch to make it a little easier.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I've got 1.5" belts, and some 1.75" belts on the way (for free, with purchase of some 5.11 pants from LAPG). My holster is made with 1.5" loops, and the 1.5" belts fit all my pants just fine. I will continue to use the 1.5" belts for every day wear/carry, but it will be nice to have the stiffer belts for range days/training classes/etc.

All my belts are 1.5"...
    If wearing a suit, I'm probably going to a place where CCW won't be allowed, but if allowed, I pocket carry.

I'd go with 1.5"...remember, your holser slots MUST match the belt size or you're going to have some difficulties.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I think this is some what personal preference and some what dictated by the pants you wear. I generally can get away with a 1-1/2" belt.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    I have both 1.5" and 1.25" gun belts. It really depends on what I'm wearing and carrying when I choose. I pocket carry often so the 1.25" gets the nod usually there but that's not because of the size but because it's my elephant skin belt (my favorite). I also use velcro inside my belts for the velcro clips on my MTAC and most of my other IWB holsters. That gives me a little more flexibility when it comes to matching belts and loops. With velcro it doesn't matter as much (even though 1.5" velcro clips will obviously show more on a 1.25" belt).

I'd say if you can only get one good gun belt and the majority of your pants can handle it, get a 1.5". Checkout The Beltman for awesome belts BTW.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    All of my belts are 1.5. All jeans I've ever worn accomodate 1.5" as do most dockers and other casual pants. Dress pants can be different. I'm still able to use my 1.5" belts on my suit pants but it's a close fit and if you get a polymer insert in your gun belt it could be too thick.

I've tried 1.25 and 1.5" and feel 1.5" is perfect. I DON'T like a 1.5" looped holster on a 1.25" belt so I standardized everything at 1.5. If the pants won't accept 1.5" I don't buy them. Use 1.5" consistently and it's easy to eye ball pants in the store. I only wear one type of Wrangler jeans and they're perfect for 1.5"

Some end up with 1.5" and with 1.25". I don't like having both.

As for 1.75" I'd reserve that for an LEO with a TON of gear and 5.11 tactical pants or some such thing.

when I have some money (lol) I'm going to order a 1.5 1st... its in the middle so... most of my pants/jeans accept 1.5 as well... I will get the velcro lining too, so I can use some V-Clips

I might get a 1.25 for suit carry (which is very rare that I waer it, and I probably wouldn't be allowed to carry then) but if that's the case, I might just do OWB

I wish these belts didn't take almost a month to make

I use 1.5" for jeans and 1.25" for shorts or more dressy pants......all my gun belts come from Jim Speidel, the Beltman.

FWIW, for IWB carry, I can't tell any difference at all in stability/security between the two.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Have to agree with P95, stiffness and thickness are as, if not more, important than width. If my EDC is a large heavy friend, then 1.5, if I was carrying a compact, I could get by with a 1.25. YMMV

Links