Road Bicycle Carry Option

This is a discussion on Road Bicycle Carry Option within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently bought a road bike to help increase my cardio. My other bike just did not suit me on 30+ mile rides. The problem ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road Bicycle Carry Option

Question Road Bicycle Carry Option

I recently bought a road bike to help increase my cardio. My other bike just did not suit me on 30+ mile rides. The problem is I need to be able to carry while wearing cycling shorts under swimming type trunks. I feel VERY uncomfortable out in public without carrying my pistol. On my last ride I carried OC and a Kershaw, that helped a little but not much. I could really use some input. I thought of a fanny pack option but if my legs are raised very high while peddling the pack may get in the way? Thank you.
    Kel-Tec P-11, Supertuck Deluxe, Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor's Belt

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by chains1240 View Post
    I recently bought a road bike to help increase my cardio. My other bike just did not suit me on 30+ mile rides. The problem is I need to be able to carry while wearing cycling shorts under swimming type trunks. I feel VERY uncomfortable out in public without carrying my pistol. On my last ride I carried OC and a Kershaw, that helped a little but not much. I could really use some input. I thought of a fanny pack option but if my legs are raised very high while peddling the pack may get in the way? Thank you.
    Push the fanny pack off to the side...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Push the fanny pack off to the side...
    That was one thing I was thinking about. I used to have a thing called a "Tune Belt" for a WalkMan Cd Player but it got too trashed up. Fit my P-11 perfectly. Then Tommypack had a sale, $40 free shipping. Kinda kicking myself for not getting one now.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    On a bicycle I feel a fanny pack is the best alternative
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

How about a Camelback? They have all different sizes/configurations. You'd have to figure out some way to reach behind you but the upside is you would have water and your firearm, plus room for your keys and an mp3 player.

Quote Originally Posted by whamonkey View Post
    How about a Camelback? They have all different sizes/configurations. You'd have to figure out some way to reach behind you but the upside is you would have water and your firearm, plus room for your keys and an mp3 player.
    I have a Camelback 3 liter. But I think that if something did happen the firearm would be just about totally inaccessible. I do keep my keys and wallet in it when I am riding but I do not use an MP3 player, cannot hear what is going on around me and I enjoy the silence on the bike trails.

I've put in 10's of thousands of miles on a road bike but I've never carried on one! A friend who used to go to Arizona to train before the local race season said that the guys out there open carried with a holster mounted to the bike frame.

With a P-11, it seems like you could get a cheapie IWB holster and keep it in your back jersey pocket - hard to get to but still there.

If that doesn't cut it, I'd go with the fanny pack at the small of the back.

I'm not an open cary guy at all, but if I ever was one, OC when cycling would be it. As a cylclist, you get yelled at if you ride on the road, t-boned and yelled at if you ride on the sidewalk, peds yell at you for riding too fast on the sidewalk, I've even had cars scream at me while they're speeding on the road at the local park. Perhaps people would be a little more polite if more cyclists were to open cary.

hbc
    I carry all the time when I'm riding. My suggestion and preferred method is a (small) fanny pack carried at the small of back position.

Quote Originally Posted by Cycler View Post
    I've put in 10's of thousands of miles on a road bike but I've never carried on one! A friend who used to go to Arizona to train before the local race season said that the guys out there open carried with a holster mounted to the bike frame.

With a P-11, it seems like you could get a cheapie IWB holster and keep it in your back jersey pocket - hard to get to but still there.

If that doesn't cut it, I'd go with the fanny pack at the small of the back.

I'm not an open cary guy at all, but if I ever was one, OC when cycling would be it. As a cylclist, you get yelled at if you ride on the road, t-boned and yelled at if you ride on the sidewalk, peds yell at you for riding too fast on the sidewalk, I've even had cars scream at me while they're speeding on the road at the local park. Perhaps people would be a little more polite if more cyclists were to open cary.
    OC here is legal and I have thought about it but the culture of OC isn't as much of our upbringing and society as some other states. I have thought about it though. I am not looking forward to being yelled at by the auto drivers. Although after reading up on it bicycles have to use the road, not the sidewalks, they have all the legal rights to the roads but also have to obey all the traffic laws too.

Quote Originally Posted by hbc View Post
    I carry all the time when I'm riding. My suggestion and preferred method is a (small) fanny pack carried at the small of back position.
    Small of Back is probably what I am going to do. When I get off the bike of if something happens I can always spin the pack to the front. Now I just have to find an economical one after spending so much on a bike.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I would either go fanny pack in the small of the back, or rig a mount to the bike frame for a paddle-style holster that you could remove and take with you if you got off the bike for whatever reason.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

I'm wondering if a fanny pack would keep the sweat off of the firearm? Are some of them sweatproof and waterproof?
    Glock 26, Ruger LCR, Glock 19
    Non curo. Si metrum non habet, non est poema. "I don't care. If it doesn't rhyme, it isn't a poem."

Quote Originally Posted by hbc View Post
    Ditto.

75-100 mile per week. It's always with me, along with an ID and a cell phone. Way too many crazies out there that are far too aggressive when they get around cyclists.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Ditto.

75-100 mile per week. It's always with me, along with an ID and a cell phone. Way too many crazies out there that are far too aggressive when they get around cyclists.
    What brand pack do you carry in? Any suggestions on manufacturers?

Quote Originally Posted by chains1240 View Post
    What brand pack do you carry in? Any suggestions on manufacturers?
    I'm partial to the Fuel Belt line. I'm a triathlete, so I do a lot of running too and they work well for both.

Here's a link to one of mine, but you'll find that they have a lot of options. One thing I like is that they're all designed to hug your body, not flop around like a lot of fanny packs do.

Fuel Belt - Active Gear - Waistpacks

I carry my little Seecamp when I cycle or run, but a larger gun could easily be accomodated in one of the larger packs.

Stay safe out there.......it can get a little crazy on the road!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links