Help critique this.

Help critique this.

This is a discussion on Help critique this. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wrote this up and I believe I even posted it here quite awhile ago. Anyway, I did some proof reading and updated it a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help critique this.

Help critique this.

I wrote this up and I believe I even posted it here quite awhile ago.
    Anyway, I did some proof reading and updated it a bit.
    I figured since KS just passed CCW maybe there would be quite a few people with questions and I would try (in my spare time) to have answers to most of the basic questions and more.
    I will be getting a domain name and a bit more space to put it up on but this is the preliminary article and what the whole site will be based around.

Concealed Carry Methods

Lead Moderator
    My first thought is change the picture of the OWB to show it being worn. That is how the IWB and Shoulder holster are shown.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Assistant Administrator
    Seems pretty good Clipse - and appears to cover things quite fully.

I agree that a OWB pic would be nice showing the rig being worn and - I think too your pics would benefit from being 50% to 100% larger. If it helps at all you could use a copy of my 226 OWB being worn.

So - without nit-picking for its own sake - yes, that is a fair synopsis of carry methods and probably would make a good guide for someone starting off. It could perhaps be expanded slightly in some areas but OTOH it probably is better kept fairly concise. Good job.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Good thought. I updated it. It takes a while for the the server to clear the cache here so I can't see it but I did update it with a pic of an OWB holster being worn.

Also, all the pics can be clicked on to enlarge. I tryed to keep the files as small as possible for people who might have dial up. The way it sits, with a good 56k connection it will take 18 seconds to come up. Thats actually longer than I like but that the first page I've done with so many pics.

like I said, this is preliminary. I intend to expand it in some areas. Right now I'm trying to judge whether or not it will be helpful enough to justify time and cost. I think it may be

clipse

Great write-up, Clipse!

Please don't take offense at any of my remarks, none was intended, just offering suggestions:

I agree with above, Pics need to be larger.

IWB paragraph, has the statement 'handgun own their pants'. Should be 'handgun down their pants'. (I think...)

Ankle Holster paragraph, the statement 'go around you ankle' should be 'go around your ankle'

Pocket Carry paragraph, the statement '(or gripy materiel)' should read '(or gripy material)'

Other things, 2nd paragraph, 'I had alot of questions' should be 'I had a lot of questions'

Just as a general suggestion, you talk quite a bit about comfort-vs-concealment, etc. I like the idea. I'd list positive/negitive effects on each of these categories for each of your listed carry methods. Kind of 'glue' the whole thing together, so to speak.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

VIP Member
    Very good summaries of popular concealment carry methods.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I'd suggest you not expand this page. You cover all the bases well enough and any more could just confuse things.

If you want to add more information though, or expand on anything, consider doing so with a hyperlink to another page.

Nicely done!

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Thanks guys. Chris, I'll work on your suggestions soon. I will try to make the pics bigger without making the file bigger.

Expanding each mode of carry with a hyperlink may be a good idea. I'll work on that after I get the domain and webhosting stuff nailed down.

I'm always up for constructive critisism and suggestions. All are good so far.

thanks,
    clipse

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    i liked the page. straight forward and gives a good unbiased overview.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

I increased the size of the pics by about 70-80%. I also fixed the spelling and grammer mistakes. Now hows it look?

Well, for some reason the pics got all screwed up. I'll work on that. (unless its only on my end.)

Edited to add: Pics were only on my end. If it isn't updated for you then click HERE

clipse

Assistant Administrator
    Much better!! Good compromize - and they show fine for me.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Making the thumbnails bigger up the download time on 56K to 55 secs but, like you said, its much better.

clipse

VIP Member
    Clipse, looks good. You'll never get a document that size perfect, but you can try. I have noticed a couple of things.

In the section on "Pocket Carry" you state: "I would think the jacket versions of these would be better than vests because, like fanny packs, vests generally 'scream' gun." Yet in "Fanny pack holster" you say: "Some will argue that a fanny pack 'screams' gun. I have to disagree to a point." Sounds to me like you are disagreeing with yourself.

Your next sentence in "Fanny pack holster" needs some grammatical correction. It says: "While to you and I it may 'scream' gun, I highly doubt the average citizen even realizes that this is a possible or even popular method of concealed carry." In the first section the objects of the preposition "to" are "you and I" and they should be "you and me." Where to use I and where to use me expecially when in a compound usage is probably the hardest thing for most people to get. While it is not simple; the easiest way to remember the correct way in writing is to know that me is always used when the word you want to use is not the subject or predicate nominative in a sentence. That's OK for professors and librarians, but what about the rest of us? The subject is the one doing something. In the sentence above the subject of the verb doubt is I. The subject is usually easy to recognize. Predicate nominative is even easier because it only occurs with the verb to be. So if the verb in the sentence is am, was, is, are, were there can be a predicate nominative. So if in answer to a question about who did something you want to state that you did it; the answer would be: "It was I." not "It was me." Enough grammar for today.

BTW if your word processing software provides a search feature this can be very useful in correcting many common errors. For instance someone has already mentioned you where the word should have been your. Search for you. Look at it and see if it really should be your. If so change it and search for the next you in the essay. I you use the search for you, then you will find in the third sentence of the essay a place where you occurs, but where your belongs. If I can be of help in editing your essay you can PM me a text copy and I will spend an hour or so checking for the major grammatical errors and correcting them. Then I'll send it back to you with all the problems I found corrected. I earn a living once when I was between real jobs by editing doctoral dissertations and learned how to use several of the tools found in most word processing software to make the editing easier.

I think the essay does a very good job of covering the subject without being tedious. You are not trying to provide the final statement on concealed carry, but are providing a brief introduction to the subject for those who are just getting started.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member

Mexican Carry Explained

I did a little checking on Mexican Carry and found an article by Massad Ayoob that tells the origin of the term.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...51/ai_n8591504
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Another comment on Pocket Carry para. "gripy material" should read "grippy material." Gripy would be pronounced "gripe ee" (one who receives a gripe). Grippy comes out "Grip ee."
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links