Smart Carry - Carry Position Description & Pictorial

This is a discussion on Smart Carry - Carry Position Description & Pictorial within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Title say's it all.................. Oh, and BTW, I do mean that YOU need to provide the Description and/or Pictorial (and keep the pics G/PG-rated) I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smart Carry - Carry Position Description & Pictorial

Smart Carry - Carry Position Description & Pictorial

Title say's it all.................. Oh, and BTW, I do mean that YOU need to provide the Description and/or Pictorial (and keep the pics G/PG-rated)

I just got mine and I know there are a million threads on Smart Carry, but I just can't position it in a way that is comfortable when seated. Or does not have to be worn one way and readjusted prior to sitting.

I am only trying with a PM9, I can't even begin to imagine a full sized weapon.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by jh225 View Post
    Title say's it all.................. Oh, and BTW, I do mean that YOU need to provide the Description and/or Pictorial (and keep the pics G/PG-rated)

I just got mine and I know there are a million threads on Smart Carry, but I just can't position it in a way that is comfortable when seated. Or does not have to be worn one way and readjusted prior to sitting.

I am only trying with a PM9, I can't even begin to imagine a full sized weapon.
    I guess size does matter...twice!
    Sorry, I couldn't resist. I can't even imagine using a smart carry. I'm not criticizing, it's just not for me.
    I would be interested in seeing some examples of its use while sitting.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I guess size does matter...twice!
    That's what I am talking about. I can not find a happy medium between the gun barrel and Mr.Happy. I do not have a gut, I am just finding it hard to believe people find this thing comfortable. It DOES conceal well, but if I can't sit down without getting "pinched", it will be going back (30 day guarantee)

I am absolutely willing to give it a shot (even after 20+years of belt holster carry), and I sincerely would like to hear from others.

Are your pants tight in the crotch?

If your pants aren't tight and you're wearing it hanging low off your hipbones as it's designed to be worn, and it still isn't comfortable, then maybe it isn't for your body type.

Sorry, no pics. My computer is old and the USB ports on it don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Are your pants tight in the crotch?

If your pants aren't tight and you're wearing it hanging low off your hipbones as it's designed to be worn, and it still isn't comfortable, then maybe it isn't for your body type.

Sorry, no pics. My computer is old and the USB ports on it don't work.
    Nope, relaxed fit jeans. The gun/holster fit fine while standing.

I just don't get it. My body type is that of a fit 5'8" & 185lb male.

I am not looking to crush Mr.Happy, nor get my leg pinched.

Where are you placing the butt and/or barrel of the gun?

I don't have a lot of experience with it yet since I'm still waiting on the CHL to arrive, but around the house I've found it most comfortable low and to the left to where it's resting more on my left thigh. On my Glock 19, the bottom of the grip is right about centered under the zipper.

I've also found that it is much more comfortable to wear with my Dockers khaki pants than it is my Levi's jeans due to being more room in the crotch area. I'll likely use my Supertuck more with the jeans and the SmartCarry when better concealment is needed, which fortunately also happens to be the times I'm wearing Dockers.

Quote Originally Posted by jh225 View Post
    Nope, relaxed fit jeans. The gun/holster fit fine while standing.

I just don't get it. My body type is that of a fit 5'8" & 185lb male.

I am not looking to crush Mr.Happy, nor get my leg pinched.

Where are you placing the butt and/or barrel of the gun?
    The end of the barrel is hanging down about as low as the pants allow, just about on centerline (relaxed-fit jeans also). The rear of the grip is about 3" below the bottom of my belt, and off to one side.

When I mentioned "body type" I wasn't referring to height and weight. Let me see if I can phrase this tastefully: if a guy is naturally "out front" instead of "down low", it may never be comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Let me see if I can phrase this tastefully: if a guy is naturally "out front" instead of "down low", it may never be comfortable.
    Worded fine, but there is more to the picture.

Again trying to be tactful and tasteful.

In MY particular scenario, it is not a matter of naturally hanging low (blessed) or out front (not so blessed). I am of the former camp, but I wear boxer briefs which "holds a person in an upright position". Therefor, the barrel is always going to "get in the way".

To be honest, the fact that the sitting position is "pinching" is more an issue of being jabbed or pinched in the leg/side of crotch area and not really a jab/pinch in the "package" area.

I don't know if I am wearing it a little too high and will try various ways, but it may come down to I just can't get mentally comfortable with what seems to be a weapon "falling down" from wearing it so low. Many years of both on and off duty carry have instilled that a weapon needs to be secure on ones hip, even using an IWB holster.

Sometimes it just may not be possible to teach an old dog new tricks.

The problem I see is it takes two hands to draw, and has to be incredibly slow. I'm used to a double tap from the IWB in 1.5 seconds. NO WAY you can come anywhere close to that digging around in your crotch. What if you're off hand is busy fending off an assailant? And when you need it, time is of the essence.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    It's a trade-off, Husker... I think you'll agree that the odds of you and I having a duel at 10 paces is slim... but in that unlikely event, your 1.5 seconds would beat my 2 seconds. If I am wearing it outside the pants, as I do about 80% of the time... well, now we got a quick draw contest...

You hear the phrase "dress around the gun" frequently... a SmartCarry is no different. It's not gonna be comfortable in tight jeans with little crotch room. But it sure beats OWB with a "shoot me first" vest. The SmartCarry allows you greater versatility in what you wear, as you don't need a gunbelt. I went to the beach on the 4th of July wearing only shorts and flip-flops... and my Taurus 745. It works with sweat pants, dress slacks, swim trunks, pajamas, kilts, and other attire that does not lend itself to a thick belt.

I know, I know... in a crisis situation, seconds count. I'm doing my best not to get in a quick-draw gunfight. I think the element of surprise will work in my favor. I've got my grey man act dialed in pretty good, I think... I'm just some guy shuffling around in Hawaiian shirts and flip-flops... I don't look like I might be armed... as opposed to the guy with the painfully unfashionable "shoot-me" vest, the thick black cop belt, and the yellow tinted shooter's glasses.

JH225, I carry a full-sized Sig 220 in my SmartCarry... I'm 6-1 and about 220 lbs. If I sit down and the hammer pokes me in the tummy, that means I have it a little too high. Don't give up on it yet... lots of us love the SmartCarry...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

jh225,

I think I'm starting to see your point about pinching on the thigh. I wonder if looser pants would help you. I mentioned I wore relaxed-fit jeans, but I think "cargo" or "painter's pants" is more accurate. Not always, of course, but I've even gravitated toward loose dress pants when the event calls for it.

Sorry, I wasn't referring to your endowment. That can have little or nothing to do with one's positioning. I was referring more to a structural starting location.

As far as feeling like something is loose with the SC holster, I remember feeling the same way. In fact, when I first got mine, I called Charlie complaining he sent me one with a waistband too long because I tried to wear it too tight. He kindly referred me to the instructions where it was described as hanging loose off the hip bones, and dropping down in the front.

Yes, it will feel different than a gun strapped securely to the belt. But like PointnClick said, it offers the ability to carry a gun when a belt holster isn't possible.

Husker, I often see it claimed that it takes 2 hands to draw from a SmartCarry. It doesn't, unless one didn't dress correctly or doesn't practice drawing.

In fact, sometimes it is possible to draw faster from a SmartCarry (with tucked in shirt) than from an OWB with a cover garmet. Some will not believe that, but I'll guess they don't own one.

It is even possible to draw one-handed from a SC with an untucked shirt.

It is a myth that it takes 2 hands to draw from a SmartCarry.

As PointnClick said, it can be a half second slower than drawing OWB. Not always, but enough to claim generally. Like him, I'm not looking for a quick-draw contest, although I won't automatically concede defeat if one comes, just because I'm carrying in a SC.

There are several groups when it comes to the SC:
    1. Those who tried it and can make it work
    2. Those who tried it and cannot make it work, or don't give it a thorough vetting
    3. Those who've never tried it, but are withholding judgment
    4. Those who've never tried it, and condemn it out of hand

You appear to be in the second group. Nothing wrong with that: everyone is different, and what works great for one doesn't necessarily work for another. I just wonder if it's such a departure from your normal way of carrying that it's difficult to make the switch.

Do you have a large gun? Undoubtedly a larger gun will add difficulty in comfort.

Have you tried it around the house in loose gym shorts? That might eliminate or point to the pants as the issue, and it also might give you other ideas for when a SC may be convenient.

I have carried using a SmartCarry for somewhat over two years. I have used two different size holsters and carried several types of gun. Currently, I am carrying an all steel Commander style 1911 which, as you might suspect, is a bit on the heavy side. The SmartCarry is a large Security V.

In my experience working with the SC is not unlike working with any other style/type of holster. Some adjusting and experimentation is absolutely necessary to get the feel "just right"! For me, that has been the case from holsters from Mllt Sparks, Galco, FIST etc. Some adjustment is, for me, necessary.

I have found that sliding the holster about about 1 or two inches to the right of midline achieves two goals quite readily. It solves the problem of urenating and places the grip of the gun in a better place for concealment and drawing. Wearing the gun either higher or lower solves the problem of sitting. In the case of the Commander wearing it just a little higher makes sitting quite comfortable.

I am 6'3" tall and weigh 260 and tend to wear Dockers and relaxed fit jeans most of the time (I am retired) so have never worn the SC with a tight pair of pants (no comment).

To achieve a reasonably fast and effective draw and presentation has always required that I practice, practice, and practice no matter what the holster. Nothing different with the SC. After practice I can get the gun out and properly presented quickly. 1.5 seconds? Who knows but fast enough - I hope.

SmarCarry is, IMHO, an excellent way to carry concealed.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

I tried to use my smart carry as directed worn low around the hips in front. This works great standing up... as soon as i sit the beaver tail gets me in the stomach. I can push it down loswer but then it prints when i sit.

I ended up wearing it at the 4-4:30 position which conceals great and is very comfortable... only down fall is th draw is extremely slow at that position. It would work great with elastic waist pants.

I'm gonna keep messing with it though. I think if you have a gun sans beaver tail you're good to go

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links