Beltman--bullhide or horsehide?

This is a discussion on Beltman--bullhide or horsehide? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So which would you choose & why? Heaviest gun I'll be carrying is my Springfield EMP. At first I was wanting the horsehide but I'm ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beltman--bullhide or horsehide?

Beltman--bullhide or horsehide?

So which would you choose & why? Heaviest gun I'll be carrying is my Springfield EMP. At first I was wanting the horsehide but I'm thinking it may be a little overkill & I keep reading how stiff it is. I'm thinking the standard bullhide without the stiffner will be just fine.

Lmk yalls thoughts & why.

Thanks
    Last edited by Eyebedam; July 30th, 2009 at 01:36 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I carry a full size Kimber on a Beltman bull hide and it does a great job.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I recently received a 1-1/4" horsehide belt with velcro from the Beltman. It's stiff as heck, but still very comfortable. I kind of wish I had gotten the 1-1/2" width, though.

The one thing I didn't think about was the thickness of the belt. I can't use my custom Leatherman sheath with this belt because the clip can't accommodate the thickness of the belt. :(

I'm def going for the 1.5 width. I don't think I would like anything smaller.

Tell them what your doing and your belt size and they will tell you what you need.. That is what I did and I'm SOOOOOOOooooo thankful I didn't go with the stiffener like I was going to .. They told me being I don't have a large waist size I didn't need it,.. So I took there word..

I have beltman bullhide belts, in 1.5" and 1.25".......no stiffeners. They're stiff enough for absolutely anything I'd ever carry.

Get the horsehide only if you really like the horsehide......but stiffness won't be a factor with either one.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Well bullhide is what I'll probably do. I really want elephant but I have set a goal to lose 30 lbs by the end of the year. If I accomplish that my waist should shrink enough to justify a elephant beltman belt. I'm at 200 now & would like to be back at 165-170lbs. I'm not overly fat but it looks like I have a
    Santa Claus starter kit lol.

I am not very happy with my BeltMan belt. I got the bullhide with internal stiffener. The belt is way too thick and I can't snap any of my custom holsters around it. I can slide the belt through the loops but that is very inconvienient with an IWB. My Mitch Rosen Premier will not work either way. There is no doubt the belt is quality, but if I had it to do over, I would not have got the internal stiffener

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Mine just came Friday. Bullhide, no stiffener, 1.5 in. I like it a lot so far, and it will be plenty for even my full size 1911's OWB. I'm sure it would handle your EMP without trouble.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Eyebedam View Post
    So which would you choose & why? Heaviest gun I'll be carrying is my Springfield EMP. At first I was wanting the horsehide but I'm thinking it may be a little overkill & I keep reading how stiff it is. I'm thinking the standard bullhide without the stiffner will be just fine.

Lmk yalls thoughts & why.

Thanks
    Where I live it can get very hot and very humid. i'm a big guy and I sweat a lot so I went with the Horsehide. From what I have read the horsehide is supposed to be able to repel mositure better than other leathers.
    I have been very happy with my beltman belt. The only complaint I have is that the black dye used to color the belt has rubbed off some and it leaves black marks on my pants, hopefully after a while that will stop.

Bullhide or Horsehide? With or without stiffener?
    If the heaviest handgun you pack is a Springfield EMP, you (or your great-grandchildren) will be hardpressed to collapse or wear-out ANY of those options. Enjoy your pick!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I wear a 1.75 inch bullhide belt from the Beltman.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I only own 1 1.25 beltman bullhide w stiffener, but my guess is that in a couple years I'll be glad it has the stiffener in it. Otherwise it will wilt just like all the other leather belts I've owned.

If you can go the extra bucks, I'd say choose 1 1/2" shark--tough and beautiful!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    I just got shipment confirmation that my new black 1.5" horsehide Beltman w/velcro is on it's way to me! Right at 24 days after placing my order.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links