If you pocket carry, do you use a pocket holster????

This is a discussion on If you pocket carry, do you use a pocket holster???? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by retsupt99 I keep my P-3AT in a Fist #5 pocket holster. When I do pocket carry, I use the same setup....

View Poll Results: Do you use a pocket holster when you carry in your pocket?

Voters
187. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always or almost always.

163 87.17%
  • Most of the time

6 3.21%
  • Sometimes

6 3.21%
  • Rarely.

12 6.42%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: If you pocket carry, do you use a pocket holster????

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I keep my P-3AT in a Fist #5 pocket holster.
    When I do pocket carry, I use the same setup.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    I'm getting on the FIST bandwagon also. My PM9 resides in a K5 when pocket carrying. I pickup my Seecamp .380 tomorrow which will reside in a Del Fatti PH3. I'm not sure if I want to go kydex with it yet. If you pocket carry, at least get yourself something like a DeSantis Nemesis which is a good choice also.
    Last edited by Wasabi; August 2nd, 2009 at 02:26 PM.

I always carry my P3AT in one of my Rough Out in the back pocket. Works great and looks like a wallet.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

If you pocket carry, do you use a pocket holster?
    Yes. I find it impossible to ensure the butt of the gun remains where I put it, otherwise. If the gun turns "turtle" in the pocket, that can have bad ramifications if it's needed. Let alone the fact that keeping crud out of the action gets significantly tougher when it's lolling about in the "lint trap" at the bottom of the pocket.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

Just FYI & I am not suggesting that anybody not use a pocket holster even though I personally see no use for owning one & yes, I know that they keep the handgun in the same position in the pocket but. I've never found it to be a personal problem just to reach into a pocket and grab the butt of the firearm and draw it while keeping my index finger out of the trigger guard and off of the trigger.

Yeah, me too. I don't see any need for pocket holster. But I don't keep a round in the chamber either in my DAO pistol. I can actually cycle the slide while in my pocket, plus it's easy to have gun in hand (concealed in pocket) for super-fast present. And you look very non-threatening with your hands in your pockets too, which is another reason I like pocket carry.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    I don't see any need for pocket holster. But I don't keep a round in the chamber either in my DAO pistol. I can actually cycle the slide while in my pocket, plus it's easy to have gun in hand (concealed in pocket) for super-fast present.
    Please stop and think about what you are doing.

While it is your choice to chamber a round or not, the fact remains that a non chambered weapon is a paperweight or at best a bludgeon.

In a real life SHTF scenario, you will NOT be thinking clearly and you will NOT have time to rack the slide. Even if you did, you say you can do it in the pocket. That is just so dangerous it isn't even funny. If you attempt to rack the gun while it is in your pocket and your finger happens to be inside the trigger guard, you will put a round into your leg and very likely hit the femoral artery.

I don't know if you have ever been in a true life SHTF scenario, but I can personally tell you it is not like in the movies and unless you practice your method every day so that it becomes muscle memory you won't like the outcome. I can also tell you personally that even people with TONS of trigger time may freeze up when the SHTF.

There really is no reason not to carry in a pocket holster. If you still choose to not use a holster fine, but stop carrying like you currently are.

Always pocket carry in a holster(Nemisis) have them for my J frame, LCP, Keltec and PM 9, too many news stories about a child sticking their hand in mamas purse or daddys front pocket and discharging a un holstered weapon.

I sometimes carry a Berreta Tomcat .32ACP. Depending on the pants, there may or may not be room in my pocket for holster + pistol. One nice feature of the Tomcat is that it has long first pull da/sa trigger plus an external safety. So, I don't worry too much if I can't always carry it in a holster.

check out the new Super Fly by Desantis. I picked one up for my S&W 342PD and love it. It has a more tacky outer finish and a square piece that velcros on the side to keep the gun from printing. It seems much better than their popular Nemesis holster

Quote Originally Posted by jh225 View Post
    Please stop and think about what you are doing.

While it is your choice to chamber a round or not, the fact remains that a non chambered weapon is a paperweight or at best a bludgeon.

In a real life SHTF scenario, you will NOT be thinking clearly and you will NOT have time to rack the slide. Even if you did, you say you can do it in the pocket. That is just so dangerous it isn't even funny. If you attempt to rack the gun while it is in your pocket and your finger happens to be inside the trigger guard, you will put a round into your leg and very likely hit the femoral artery.

I don't know if you have ever been in a true life SHTF scenario, but I can personally tell you it is not like in the movies and unless you practice your method every day so that it becomes muscle memory you won't like the outcome. I can also tell you personally that even people with TONS of trigger time may freeze up when the SHTF.

There really is no reason not to carry in a pocket holster. If you still choose to not use a holster fine, but stop carrying like you currently are.

I have indeed stopped and thought about it, many times.

And yes, I absolutely, fully, 100% realize that real life is not like the movies. And no, I have never had to draw a weapon and fire - hopefully I never will.

I try to stay aware of my surroundings, and avoid circumstances where I might immediately be jumped.

RE: cycling the slide in my pocket - I simply mentioned that I COULD do it. MY chosen plan (and often practiced) is to draw and cycle, then hopefully I can run away and never have to fire a shot.

Yes, an empty chamber might cost me that extra half-second, but I am not a LEO or in some job where my life is in constant danger. I'll sacrifice some time in order to keep the weapon (and other people) ultra-safe.

-

no i dont pocket holster......... well my 22 mini mag has a holster grip on it.......

now i dont carry my xd in my pocket.. thats another story
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

PM
    I voted that I do not use a pocket holster to pocket carry --- that is cause the one or two times I have emploied this method of carry I did not have nor do I have a pocket holster. I will also say the only thing in the pocket was the firearm and my hand!!

I'll sacrifice some time in order to keep the weapon (and other people) ultra-safe.
    I think your desire for safety is commendable, but misguided.

The reason you are carrying a firearm is for your safety, is it not? If you have to chamber a round in a moment of stress please keep one thing in mind:

You will have the rest of your life to chamber that round.

I am not an advocate of carrying a paperweight. Also, speaking from personal expirience, I doubt you will have time to chamber that round, if you even remember to do so.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I think your desire for safety is commendable, but misguided.

The reason you are carrying a firearm is for your safety, is it not? If you have to chamber a round in a moment of stress please keep one thing in mind......

Yes, I am trying to protect my own life, no doubt. But if I must incur extra risk to my life to ensure maximum safety for innocent bystanders, then so be it.

If I knew I was entering an area of potential trouble, I probably would chamber a round, but otherwise, it stays empty.

-

I always pocket carry in a holster. I use an SP-101 .38. It's a chunk and has a hammer. The Desantis holster keeps things oriented, doesn't print, even as thick as the 101 is, and protects the hammer. I carry it 3-4 times a week - it would be full time, but I work in Illinois.
    If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you will undoubtedly have the support of Paul.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links