If you pocket carry, do you use a pocket holster????

This is a discussion on If you pocket carry, do you use a pocket holster???? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Chevy-SS Yes, I am trying to protect my own life, no doubt. But if I must incur extra risk to my life ...

View Poll Results: Do you use a pocket holster when you carry in your pocket?

Voters
187. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always or almost always.

163 87.17%
  • Most of the time

6 3.21%
  • Sometimes

6 3.21%
  • Rarely.

12 6.42%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: If you pocket carry, do you use a pocket holster????

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    Yes, I am trying to protect my own life, no doubt. But if I must incur extra risk to my life to ensure maximum safety for innocent bystanders, then so be it.
    You have a greater chance of something happening trying to chamber a round under the stress of a threat (especially if you try to do it in your pocket!) than you do carrying cocked and locked. If you are that uncomfortable carrying with a round in the chamber, them maybe you should rethink carrying at all.

If I knew I was entering an area of potential trouble, I probably would chamber a round, but otherwise, it stays empty.
    And then you have to ask yourself "Is there a round in the chamber or isn't there?"

I am not responsible for the safety of anyone other than my family and myself, therefor the safety of the people around me (except for family members) does NOT come before my own.

I think you are foolish, but I don't have to live - or die - by the consequences of your decisions.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

2. Remove Ads

If I knew I was entering an area of potential trouble, I probably would chamber a round ...
    How will you know that?

Last I checked, the ACME Felons Of America Union Local #3006 doesn't send a calendar to my house. I'm assuming your local chapter doesn't send one to you.

And what about those around you when you're chambering a round?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

But if I must incur extra risk to my life to ensure maximum safety for innocent bystanders, then so be it.

If I knew I was entering an area of potential trouble, I probably would chamber a round, but otherwise, it stays empty.

-
    Can you please explain what you mean by "ensure maximum safety of innocent bystanders"? I just don't get that. How does not having or even having a chambered round affect bystanders in any way? The weapon is in your pocket where it stays until needed. I am in no way bashing your carrying preference, but I honestly don't understand your reasoning.

As far as if you were entering an area of trouble, that makes no sense as witnessed by countless incidents in well to do neighborhoods. You just never know.

And as stated before, I can pretty much guarantee that if you don't have lots of training, you will not only not have time to chamber a round, but you have a serious chance of totally forgetting.

As others have said, you have to live with your decisions, but they are not wise ones.

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    sometimes
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    I have a good friend that used to carry his LCP sans holster. A tiny piece of pocket lint worked its way into the breech and locked the pistol up so tight that it took a bench vice and a rubber mallet to un-jam the slide, IIRC.

Consistent pistol placement, trigger coverage, and disguising the silhouette of the pistol aside, it is worth carrying with a pocket holster to protect the piece from any lint or debris that might render said firearm useless in a time of need.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Yes Always..After trying several others, Grandfather Oak Pocket Companion holsters have really grown on me ..made of thin kydex the profile is ultra flat yet durable, and with the built in spur/hook to catch pocket material and strip the holster, a slight up and out is all thats needed to release and pull the weapon.
    For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Mark 8:36

VIP Member
    I've been pocket carrying everyday for quite a while. PC is not my first choice, but with my job it works very well for me.

I carry a LCP in a cheap Uncle Mikes pocket holster. I carry nothing else in that pocket other than the holstered gun. It's always oriented correctly, and probably saves me on pocket wear. I suppose it "helps" keep the gun clean, however I've noticed the pocket holster is also a pocket for grime, dust, lint etc. BTW if you let that LCP get grimey it won't fire, I tried a shot with it real dirty and it FTF.

When I come in at the end of the day the gun needs to be taken out of the pocket holster and wiped down. It will rust in there, I had rust spots on it when I sent it back to Ruger for the recall, and they replaced the slide for me.

I think it'd be alright to PC w/o a holster so long as nothing else was in there with it (coins, keys, knife, etc), as previously mentioned the empty pocket can serve as a holster too.

One other point though, the holstered pistol feels much more stable in my pocket and wouldn't flop around, especially if I had to run for some reason.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Always, Desantis Nemesis.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by jh225 View Post
    Can you please explain what you mean by "ensure maximum safety of innocent bystanders"? I just don't get that. How does not having or even having a chambered round affect bystanders in any way? The weapon is in your pocket where it stays until needed. I am in no way bashing your carrying preference, but I honestly don't understand your reasoning.......

Here's my thought process, flawed though it might be:

With an empty chamber, there is no possibility of an accidental discharge. This gun is in my pocket, so what happens if it falls out of my pocket for some reason? I suppose the same could be said for a gun falling out of a holster. If a loaded (one up the pipe) firearm falls to the ground, well, I don't want to be anywhere around to find out if all the built-in safety mechanisms are gonna work or not.

My pocket gun is DAO, but hey, there's always a remote chance that I could be walking by something that snags through my pants and grabs the trigger. If that happens - BAM!

If you're looking for examples of unintended discharges, you never have to look far. Here's today's headlines about Plaxico Buress: Grand jury indicts Burress on 3 weapons charges - NFL News - FOX Sports on MSN Here's a direct quote from that article - "Burress was at the Latin Quarter nightclub Nov. 29 when a gun tucked into his waistband slipped down his leg and fired, shooting him in the right thigh." I can guarantee that gun would NOT have fired, if he had an empty chamber.

All you guys carrying cocked and locked, I think you're being somewhat reckless, but I understand your points. However, you too could drop your weapon or it could fall out of your holster and then you could be the next person in the news for a incident like Plaxico Buress.........................

Here's a cop who shoots himself and another cop, while apparently unloading his weapon - YouTube - Cop shoots himself & partner

Here's a police instructor, shooting himself in front of his class! - YouTube - Police Officer Shoots Him Self In The Leg!

These are all good examples of why I try to keep the chamber empty at all times........

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Just started pocket carrying a S&W M-36 in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster and I like it when wearing cargo shorts.
    SCGunLover1

All you guys carrying cocked and locked, I think you're being somewhat reckless, but I understand your points. However, you too could drop your weapon or it could fall out of your holster and then you could be the next person in the news for a incident like Plaxico Buress.........................-
    Grandma? Is that You??

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Mark 8:36

Yes and it's required in GA.
    Member: GeorgiaCarry.Org

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    I voted always, and it's for more than just trigger protection/safety. It helps keep the weapon correctly oriented, which is crucial to a decent draw. It also minimizes pocket debris/lint etc. from fouling the weapon. It can also help reduce printing.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

My S&W 340 M&P is always carried in my pocket with a holster. Either a Uncle Mikes or a Desanti Nemis, both work great.

holster= gun always in the same place and properly oriented for draw
    holster=trigger is covered so nothing can hit it preventing discharge
    holster=better concealment - outline of gun is broken up so it looks like I have a wallet in my pocket

I honestly don't know why anyone would want to just throw a hand gun in a pocket without and holster. I would be nervous with a gun moving around in my pocket not knowing exactly where it would be when i stuck my hand in to retrieve it, but that's just my 2 pennies worth.

ChevySS:

After reading your last post, I humbly suggest you you need to forget carrying any pistol, as you appear to be so afraid of your gun and afraid of some accident happening, that if you ever actually need to draw your gun out of your pocket, you'd be dead or injured before you stopped contemplating all the possible the ramifications of your actions.

Some folks simply don't have the temperament to carry a firearm.

Harsh? Yes, but that's my opinion.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links