If you pocket carry, do you use a pocket holster???? - Page 5

If you pocket carry, do you use a pocket holster????

This is a discussion on If you pocket carry, do you use a pocket holster???? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Majorlk ChevySS: After reading your last post, I humbly suggest you you need to forget carrying any pistol, as you appear to ...

View Poll Results: Do you use a pocket holster when you carry in your pocket?

Voters
187. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always or almost always.

163 87.17%
  • Most of the time

6 3.21%
  • Sometimes

6 3.21%
  • Rarely.

12 6.42%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    ChevySS:

After reading your last post, I humbly suggest you you need to forget carrying any pistol, as you appear to be so afraid of your gun and afraid of some accident happening, that if you ever actually need to draw your gun out of your pocket, you'd be dead or injured before you stopped contemplating all the possible the ramifications of your actions.

Some folks simply don't have the temperament to carry a firearm.

Harsh? Yes, but that's my opinion.

LOL, I see. I suppose you prefer the Dirty Harry types, who shoot first and ask questions later?

For me, the rules are very simple. If I can run away, I will. If I'm cornered and fearing for my life, I shoot. Nothing else to consider........

Peace
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    LOL, I see. I suppose you prefer the Dirty Harry types, who shoot first and ask questions later?
    I have no idea how you came to that conclusion, but then again, I don't understand much of your thinking. As for Dirty Harry, I have seen all the movies many times and I don't remember ever seeing him "shoot first and ask questions later". All his moves were very deliberate.

For me, the rules are very simple. If I can run away, I will. If I'm cornered and fearing for my life, I shoot.
    I have no problem with that philosophy. I feel the same way. The problem is you appear totally unprepared, either mentally or logistically, to shoot, from what you have posted.

I like to think I am prepared, if necessary, but until I actually face having to pull the trigger ... well, I hope that time never comes, for either of us!

Peace
    ... through superior fire power!

Have a great and safe week.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

If I have offended anyone by my posts on this thread or if anyone thinks I have unfairly maligned ChevySS, I hereby apologize.

This ends my participation on the subject.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    With an empty chamber, there is no possibility of an accidental discharge.
    There is also no possibility of paperweights being mistaken used as defensive weapons, either, at least until a round is chambered.

If you're looking for examples of unintended discharges, you never have to look far. Here's today's headlines about Plaxico Buress: "... when a gun tucked into his waistband slipped down his leg and fired, shooting him in the right thigh."[/B]
    Now, that's an example of failure to secure a firearm. Stuffin' it in your pants doesn't ensure it'll stay put, stay in the pants, continue to present the butt to the hand (if it's needed). Of all methods to carry a gun, it's simply got to be the least certain of retaining it and avoiding silly ND's such as this Buress character's.

All you guys carrying cocked and locked, I think you're being somewhat reckless, but I understand your points. However, you too could drop your weapon ...
    After a single bullet has been shot, what then? The gun could be dropped at that moment. Unsafe??

... or it could fall out of your holster and then you could be the next person in the news for a incident like Plaxico Buress.........................
    If one is reckless enough to carry a gun without ensuring it's securely retained, than you've got a point. But guns exceedingly rarely ever "just" fall to the ground, particularly when they're holstered. Sadly, unholstered examples are numerous by comparison.

Here's a cop who shoots himself and another cop, while apparently unloading his weapon - YouTube - Cop shoots himself & partner
    Yes, wholesale failure to adhere to the four basic rules of firearms safety will do that. Something else entirely.

Here's a police instructor, shooting himself in front of his class! - YouTube - Police Officer Shoots Him Self In The Leg!
    That idiot was in the DEA, and his failure to keep his booger hook off the trigger is what caused that ND.

Firearms aren't for the faint of heart. It takes a bit of responsibility, diligence and continuous training in order to do it fairly safely and competently. Not everyone does that. Not everyone does that with automobiles, either, and those cause a thousand times the number of negligent and accidental injuries and deaths, though few belittle the honorable car in the same way all too many are willing to castigate defensive firearms.

It's like saying the issue with irresponsible use of automobiles is the failure to drain the tank of gasoline after each and every trip. Obviously, the issue isn't about gas. And, the issue isn't about a bullet being in the chamber. It's about outright stupidity, ignorance, lack if personal responsibility, lack of attention, lack of concern over others or a combination of these. Pull the head out and treat the tool with the respect it requires, then there won't be a problem.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links