If you pocket carry, do you use a pocket holster????

This is a discussion on If you pocket carry, do you use a pocket holster???? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was shocked to find out of the 4 people at the range that pocket carry (2 LCPs, 1 j-frame, and my PM9) I was ...

View Poll Results: Do you use a pocket holster when you carry in your pocket?

Voters
187. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always or almost always.

163 87.17%
  • Most of the time

6 3.21%
  • Sometimes

6 3.21%
  • Rarely.

12 6.42%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: If you pocket carry, do you use a pocket holster????

If you pocket carry, do you use a pocket holster????

I was shocked to find out of the 4 people at the range that pocket carry (2 LCPs, 1 j-frame, and my PM9) I was the *ONLY* one who had his in a pocket holster. The others were just pocketed.

I though, OK, just at the range. But nope, they usually carry them like that.

Am I missing something, or isn't that a little risky? I realize all are DA triggers with some stronger pulls (6+ lbs ish) but still, shouldn't you protect the trigger from being pulled accidently?

Or am I nuts and most people don't use a holster? All the talk and threads of how the LCP disappears in your pocket may make more sense if they are not putting it into a pocket holster!!!

2. Remove Ads

I owned a a Keltec P3AT for about a year, and I wouldn't carry it until I had bought a pocket holster.

I understand the heavy trigger pulls, but why would I take that chance? Another benefit is that the holster breaks up the outline of the firearm and makes it look more like a wallet.

Pocket Holsters are usually fairly affordable, and add an extra layer of safety.

To each his own I guess, but I would never pocket carry without an appropriate holster.
    Glock 26 w/ CTAC IWB

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far" - Theodore Roosevelt

VIP Member
    Yup! I use a Mika holster when I pocket carry my J frame.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    Always carry my 638 in a pocket holster makes it MUCH easier to present.

I read some where that a guy was taking a leak in an alley when he had an accident with his pocket pistol.It went off and shot him through the upper leg. Just another reason to use a holster when pocket carrying.

EW3
    A good pocket holster not only covers the trigger, which is important, but it also keeps the gun oriented upright in the pocket. I couldn't imagine carrying my LCP or Pug any other way.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I would never carry a gun in a pants pocket without an appropriate holster. I might consider carrying a bobbed/shrouded hammer DAO J-frame in a coat pocket with no holster, but that would be a very specific set of conditions.

Administrator
    Devils Advocate Here.

Remember that historically (even though antique pocket holsters DID exist) they were originally made and used just to prevent the suit pocket from suffering undue wear and tear to the pocket material.

They were not used because "pocket pistols" and "pocket revolvers" were considered to be unsafe just because they were slipped into a pocket.

The coat or pants "pocket" is really no different than a generic cloth holster.
    The pocket holsters the firearm.

How different is the pocket than a "Smart Carry" holster?
    Not very different at all.

Of course a person would be quite stupid to place other objects (such as keys) into the same pocket that the firearm is in.
    The pocket was always kept empty save for the firearm.

Colt pocket semi-automatic pistols were always just slipped into a suitable pocket as were the S&W J-Frame revolvers and small Derringer type handguns.

Only fairly recently have holsters that mandatory covered the trigger guard and pocket pistols that absolutely CANNOT be just slipped into a pocket become somehow unsafe.

Just FYI & I am not suggesting that anybody not use a pocket holster even though I personally see no use for owning one & yes, I know that they keep the handgun in the same position in the pocket but. I've never found it to be a personal problem just to reach into a pocket and grab the butt of the firearm and draw it while keeping my index finger out of the trigger guard and off of the trigger.

And certainly if you are concerned about pocket wear then by all means...purchase one.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I am guilty do to the fact of not owning a pocket holster that fits a Grendal P12
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Always.

Not only does it help protect the gun from misc. pocket debris, it keeps it properly oriented and also serves to aid in concealment by changing the profile of the gun.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

VIP Member
    Always!!! See the ongoing thread about the guy who shot himself in the thigh while trying to use the restroom. "Nuff said.

A chambered gun not in a holster is a negligent discharge that is going to happen.

Administrator
    Gee...I guess I'll have to wait possibly yet another 15 or 20 years but, sooner or later it's bound to happen I guess.

Also please consider taking every single negligent discharge story with a large grain of rock salt unless some other totally disinterested person is around that actually witnessed it first hand.

That would be because it is common human nature for people to blame anything and everything but themselves and what is usually missing from every ND story is the untold truth.

Hopyard ~ BTW: I read that news story and it is rather short on details. How exactly would you say that happened?

We really need to get filled in on exactly how a Double Action Revolver or a semi-automatic pistol discharges while simply unzipping a fly and urinating.

Also...I think that most folks that stop and urinate in public alleyways are usually at least partially intoxicated and walking home from a bar. He was not using a restroom.

Serious question....How would you duplicate that exact scenario if your desire was to scientifically repeat it?

Again let me repeat that my intention is not tell any responsible adult how to house their firearm.
    If any person feels that they need a pocket holster to be safe then they absolutely should go and purchase one.

QKShooter,
    Part of my reasoning for always using a pocket holster is that I infrequently pocket carry. I'm used to having lighter and money clip in left pocket and keys and pocket knife in right pocket. Loose change gets dropped in whichever side is closest. When I pocket carry, I have to make a conscious effort to make sure nothing but the pistol is in that pocket. Using a pocket holster helps when I screw up. If I pocket carried every day, I'd shortly get used to reserving that pocket for the pistol only and a holster may no longer be absolutely necessary.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

kpw
    It makes it much more comfortable for me. Of course that depends on the holster. HBE 2-Point works great for me.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

VIP Member

resonse to QK

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

Hopyard ~ BTW: I read that news story and it is rather short on details. How exactly would you say that happened?
    Since I carry a single action auto I think the holster is an absolute requirement.

As for double action, stuff happens and triggers get activated, though I do somewhat agree it is much less likely to happen with a DAO than with something else. Still, I wouldn't carry my DA/SA chambered in my pocket without a holster. I just wouldn't.

As for the story about the guy who shot himself, I'm thinking too much booze played a role, but a holster might have saved the day.

When he fumbled and bumbled around searching for Johny, he couldn't have grabbed his real gun if it had been holstered.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links