Favorite appendix carry iwb holster

This is a discussion on Favorite appendix carry iwb holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I always do, in uncle mikes. Looking for something different though....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite appendix carry iwb holster

I always do, in uncle mikes. Looking for something different though.

2. Remove Ads

Desantis Tuck This II works for me. Appendix is how I carry my j-frame.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    I am noodling appendix carry and whether or not it's feasible with a Gov't 1911...

Todd Greene from pistol-training.com worked with a holster maker to make his idea of the ultimate appendix holster and this is what they came up with:

Custom Carry Concepts,LLC : Looper

According to the maker he makes the following adjustments from his normal Looper:

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Schaefer
    The appendix Looper has zero forward angle, as you said. It also has the belt loop moved closer to the trigger guard at a slight outward tilt to help the belt pull the grip in tight to the body. Todd's version rides considerably lower than the standard Looper at his request but I have found that most like it a bit higher to facilitate a full grip at the draw.
    I'll probably try one of these out as several people on m4carbine.net have been using them with great results. Most guys seem to be carrying full size or service sized pistols in them...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

The Raven Concealment Systems appendix carry rig works best for me.

The Malabar Front

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Do believe the second rule of firearms safety is: "Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy"

For that reason there no way I would ever pack a weapon appendix carry!

Already had one professionally performed vasectomy. Don't need another with severe cauterization to other valuable and prized body parts in that sensitive region IF I screwed up and EVERYONE that carries frequently WILL screw up once in their lifetime.

See Rule #2: Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.

I can live without a butt cheek as I lost 1/4 of my left one when I layed my Sportster down at 55 MPH and the concrete did a number on my arse. Lady pulled out right in front of me so layed her down versus taking the hit. Thank God I had my helmet, Justin Roper boots and leather jacket on! All were destroyed and my butt took 7 months to heal after 4 procedures. Now wear Draggin Jeans (reinforced with Kevlar), Chippewa engineer boots, helmet and leather or ballistic jacket on even if it's 105 degrees out.

JMHO
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    My strong side IWB holster points at a pretty good portion of my thigh - not my butt - but either way, I don't want to be shot at all.

Using your logic you can't use horizontal shoulder carry as it would point at people, you can't use pocket carry - heck, you can't use hardly any type of carry except ankle carry.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, and it sounds like appendix carry isn't right for you. However, to completely exclude carry options on this basis seems silly. At some point you have to play by big boy rules - you have to know your guns and gear and take responsibility for how you handle them - and a huge part of that is committing to be ever vigilant in regards to safe handling... which means just about any form of carry will be fine, because you are committing to safely holstering and handling your weapon.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    My strong side IWB holster points at a pretty good portion of my thigh - not my butt - but either way, I don't want to be shot at all.

Using your logic you can't use horizontal shoulder carry as it would point at people, you can't use pocket carry - heck, you can't use hardly any type of carry except ankle carry.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, and it sounds like appendix carry isn't right for you. However, to completely exclude carry options on this basis seems silly. At some point you have to play by big boy rules - you have to know your guns and gear and take responsibility for how you handle them - and a huge part of that is committing to be ever vigilant in regards to safe handling... which means just about any form of carry will be fine, because you are committing to safely holstering and handling your weapon.
    If your talking to me Mr. KevinDooley everyone has an opinion and I'm sticking to mine. So sorry if it struck such a raw nerve with you. If appendix carry works for YOU and EVERYONE else who uses that method of carry, fine, more power to you. I also do not pocket carry for the same reason. I just don't like the muzzle of a weapon pointed at my genitals or legs and that muzzle is pointed at a sensitive, HIGH blood loss (femural artery) area.

I mainly conceal (90%) using IWB at the 4:00 position. Worse thing to hurt if I do screw up OR my shirt catches the trigger while holstering is blowing a piece of my right butt cheek off. I can live with that. A blown femural artery the size of your index finger and your lights out in about 5 minutes tops.

As I stated earlier your chances of a ND go up with the frequency that you use and carry a handgun. More so with a semi automatic. I know of 4 highly trained LEO's, all of whom and myself are small arms instructors who have had ND's. The cause in all 5 was complacency and it can sneak up on you quickly and sometimes with lethal results. I know there are many shooters who have had one but out of emberrassment would never tell.

BTW I carry my S&W model 19 in a shoulder holster and my 3" 657 the other 10% of the time in an OWB holster and ALWAYS follow all the 4 rules diligently as I did once screw up big time. Thankfully my wife and granddaughter had God looking over them that Easter Sunday 3 years ago!

Everyones seen this video of the cop that has a ND in a classroom. He was a highly qualified with a Glock and still shot himself. It can happen to ANYONE including yourself. Just don't want to see someone else, including your exonerated self make the same mistake as me and many others with deadly consequences.

Call my opinion SILLY[/B] and not qualified or old enough to handle and carry a weapon? Just stating MY opinion on what I believe is a carry option that I will not use.

YouTube - Cop Shoots himself in the leg
    Last edited by Sportsterguy; August 16th, 2009 at 05:54 PM.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links