Smartcarry Security model?

This is a discussion on Smartcarry Security model? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Definitely go with the Standard size waist. I have a 35"-36" waist and opted for the STTP which was a mistake. It fits, but I ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smartcarry Security model?

Definitely go with the Standard size waist. I have a 35"-36" waist and opted for the STTP which was a mistake. It fits, but I am only using about 1" of Velcro. I don't feel that it is as secure as it could be.

Also, Many people find that the smartcarry is more comfortable sitting down on their hips rather than right on their waistline. Your hips are probably a little wider than your waist.

I carry a MK9 which is the same size as your PM9 in a Standard Model/STTP/Small smart carry. If I were ordering again I would get the Security V/STANDARD/Medium smart carry so that I could use the holster for a little larger gun on occasion (ie: Glock 19).
    Last edited by scott314; August 10th, 2009 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Added more information

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    My wife felt the edge of the strap, so I gave her an arm guard used by bow and arrow shooters that can cover the velcro edges of the narrow portion of the strap. A cast cover from a medical supply store would also work.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Thanks again for the great input everyone,

The advice I got here should save me some digits on the phone. The website says that the white one is a different, possibly more durable fabric so again, I'm going to go with the white.

The V model sounds like the one for me since I don't need an ambi model. After reading Grady's explanation and looking at the website again, I can now see the difference.

Also, I'm going with a standard size with my 35"ish (but losing) waist. I didn't see the extra medium option but I'll be carrying my PM9 and G33 most of the time and I'd like the option to drop the G29SF in there if I want to.

Thanks again everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by scott314 View Post
    Also, Many people find that the smartcarry is more comfortable sitting down on their hips rather than right on their waistline. Your hips are probably a little wider than your waist.
    The Smartcarry is DESIGNED to be used at hip level. They specifically advise AGAINST wearing it around the waist.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    Thanks again for the great input everyone,

The advice I got here should save me some digits on the phone. The website says that the white one is a different, possibly more durable fabric so again, I'm going to go with the white.

The V model sounds like the one for me since I don't need an ambi model. After reading Grady's explanation and looking at the website again, I can now see the difference.

Also, I'm going with a standard size with my 35"ish (but losing) waist. I didn't see the extra medium option but I'll be carrying my PM9 and G33 most of the time and I'd like the option to drop the G29SF in there if I want to.

Thanks again everyone.
    All the models are very durable. There's virtually no difference.

The primary reason they make the white one, is so you can use it with light colored pants/shorts that aren't made of thick material. A Smartcarry made of the darker material, will show through lighter clothing in some cases.

Also, buy the regular Security model, NOT the Security V.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

Quote Originally Posted by scott314 View Post
    If I were ordering again I would get the Security V/STANDARD/Medium smart carry so that I could use the holster for a little larger gun on occasion (ie: Glock 19).
    Good advice to go with the holster size for the largest gun you have.

I have a large SC for my XD-45, but I regularly carry an SP-101 in the other large holster and it retrieves just fine. I've been experimenting lately with carrying a S&W 6906, which would qualify for a medium holster according to its size, and it fits just fine in the large SC.

However, if I use a gun in a smaller holster than is appropriate for the gun, the grip tends to lean forward and prints more than if in a larger holster.

Larger holster than recommended: no problem.

Smaller holster than recommended: not good.

grady says

Good advice to go with the holster size for the largest gun you have.

I have a large SC for my XD-45, but I regularly carry an SP-101 in the other large holster and it retrieves just fine. I've been experimenting lately with carrying a S&W 6906, which would qualify for a medium holster according to its size, and it fits just fine in the large SC.

However, if I use a gun in a smaller holster than is appropriate for the gun, the grip tends to lean forward and prints more than if in a larger holster.

Larger holster than recommended: no problem.

Smaller holster than recommended: not good.
    Heed what grady says here. It is good advice.!
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links