Smartcarry Security model?

This is a discussion on Smartcarry Security model? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, I want to try a Smartcarry. Checking out the site, I stumbled across the Security version. I like the idea of an extra pocket ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smartcarry Security model?

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar

Smartcarry Security model?

OK, I want to try a Smartcarry. Checking out the site, I stumbled across the Security version. I like the idea of an extra pocket IF I need it. Anything negative or any concerns about going with this one over the standard model?

Also, I could be carrying any of the following in it:
    -G33
    -G29SF
    -PM9

Is the standard model the size I need? I'm one of those people that's on the bubble waistwise with a 35-36" waist, 5'9", 200. Lately, I've been trying to lose some weight also (doctor's orders). Should I go with the 35" model?

Thanks for any input.

2. Remove Ads

the smart carry waist strap is pretty stretchy and has a lot of velcro. You should go with the 35

I have the regular version and it works great. I don't think I'd ever use that extra pocket for anything... not like I'm gonna reach into my pants when i wanna pay for something :)

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    OK, I want to try a Smartcarry. Checking out the site, I stumbled across the Security version. I like the idea of an extra pocket IF I need it. Anything negative or any concerns about going with this one over the standard model?

Also, I could be carrying any of the following in it:
    -G33
    -G29SF
    -PM9

Is the standard model the size I need? I'm one of those people that's on the bubble waistwise with a 35-36" waist, 5'9", 200. Lately, I've been trying to lose some weight also (doctor's orders). Should I go with the 35" model?

Thanks for any input.
    I really do prefer the Security model with its extra pocket. I have two. One is medium size and the other is a large size. Between these two sizes I can carry just about any gun.

Of particular benefit to me is the ability to carry my gun, an extra mag and, in the pocket, my drivers license, my CHL permit, and a credit card and some $'s with no problems and no bulges. This is really a good thing when I wear my shorts/sweatpants that don't have pockets.

As to size I would recommend getting the size larger than the smaller. FWIW!
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Get it... holster, gun belt, and money belt in one... pickpocket and loss-proof...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I'm thinking the extra pocket may come in handy. If there's no negatives against having it, why limit my options? If I'm wearing pants with no pockets (which I do rarely), I could put my wallet stuff in there as noted above. Also, I was thinking I could put a BUG (Seecamp .380/NAA PUG) in there, a small flashlight or maybe another mag.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I'm thinking the extra pocket may come in handy. If there's no negatives against having it, why limit my options? If I'm wearing pants with no pockets (which I do rarely), I could put my wallet stuff in there as noted above. Also, I was thinking I could put a BUG (Seecamp .380/NAA PUG) in there, a small flashlight or maybe another mag.

Thanks again.
    Wasabi, you've already come to the conclusion that I would have suggested: if there are no negatives, why limit your options?

To further emphasize how handy the security pouch can be, here are some other situations where I've used it or heard others using it:
    1. I stuffed a double-stack 9mm, including its IWB holster, into the security pouch once when I had to partially disrobe and needed to make the gun disappear. Yes, there was a large bump in my pants (partially due to the other two guns already there), but I made sure I kept something over the bump.
    2. I recently hid a single-stack 9mm in the security pouch when, again, I needed another place to conceal a weapon.
    3. I put my wallet and keys there when jogging.
    4. At night, when I'm traipsing through the house in shorts with no pockets, I put my phone and keys in the pouch (always keep my keys with me at home since I don't want to face my own loaded weapons).
    5. When I used to do intense exercise, I put a plastic sheet cut from a milk jug in the security pouch to help provide an additional moisture barrier. The pouch itself provides an additional barrier just by the extra material of the pouch itself.
    6. I heard of a revolver carrier who kept speed strips in the security pouch.

IMO, you can't go wrong with having the security pouch. That was the best $10 holster addition I've ever spent. I'll only buy SmartCarrys with the security pouch. It never hurts to have another option.

VIP Member
    I often use my SmartCarry with Security Pouch when traveling and not for my weapon. It's a great place to keep my main travel money and other important items.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I keep laminated copies of my CHP, abbreviated state CC laws, and my lawyer's business card in the security pocket.

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Due to position of carry I think they should have a kevlar body shield
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thanks again for the replies everyone.

I'm going to order the Security model this week. BTW, how many folks go with white? Is it a pain to keep clean?

BTW, how many folks go with white? Is it a pain to keep clean?
    It's not really much of a pain, but the white does show gun grease more.

With the blue, the panel toward the user is white also, so no difference there.

As long as you don't wear thin pants or shorts, or the strap doesn't ride up in back, there's not much difference either way between the blue and white except for the white showing grease spots more. I guess theoretically the white may be cooler in hot climates since the dark color will absorb more heat, but I haven't noticed a difference when wearing either color.

I bought two this last go-around so I would always have one ready. (I bought one of each color because I didn't know which I would like better.) They take awhile to air-dry, and I want one always available. Now after exercise or mowing the lawn, I drop it into the washer and bring out the other one, all ready to go.

There is some good information in some older threads about how to keep the strap from riding up in back.

Thanks again Grady,

I did a search earlier and actually saw the thread where you were giving a bunch of advice about adjustments and other pointers. Very good advice that I'll be trying and I'm sure it's helpful for anyone considering a Smartcarry.

That's also good advice about picking up two. They're not real expensive and you would always have a clean one available. I'm going to start out with a white one to make sure I like it and if I do, grab another later. I'll get the second in blue so when I flash my wife in my bathrobe, I can mix it up on her a bit.

Thanks again!

Thanks again Grady,

I did a search earlier and actually saw the thread where you were giving a bunch of advice about adjustments and other pointers. Very good advice that I'll be trying and I'm sure it's helpful for anyone considering a Smartcarry.

That's also good advice about picking up two. They're not real expensive and you would always have a clean one available. I'm going to start out with a white one to make sure I like it and if I do, grab another later. I'll get the second in blue so when I flash my wife in my bathrobe, I can mix it up on her a bit.

Thanks again!
    Sounds like you've done your research.

I got one of each color thinking there might be an occasion where one color would be more concealed than the other color, but I haven't encountered such a situation yet. I suppose if I was wearing white shorts and they got wet, the dark SC might show more. I suppose someone might think it was dark underwear, though.

Anyway, while the concealment difference between the two so far has been a moot point, the two different colors have obviously helped me differentiate between the two.

Who knows... maybe there will come a time when one color will be an advantage over the other. It always helps to have options.

The SC isn't for everyone, but I hope it works for you. For those who can wear it, it has the potential to greatly enhance their carry options in different places and situations.

Sorry, one more question. What's the Security V model? I just noticed that on the site and can't figure out the differences from the pictures.

Thanks.

Sorry, one more question. What's the Security V model? I just noticed that on the site and can't figure out the differences from the pictures.

Thanks.
    That's a newer model. It looks as if it's a regular one-holster SmartCarry with mag pouch, but also includes the security pouch in the rear.

The original security SC was the double-holster version that would hold 2 guns. It was ambidextrous, both holsters the same size, with no small slot for a mag.

The Security V model has one holster and one slot for a mag.

That's my best guess from looking at the website. The page where he shows two holsters and mentions the V security model is a bit misleading. This is what the webpage says:
    Shown in the photos above are a medium size SmartCarry® on the left and a small size SmartCarry® security V on the right.
    IMO this is what it should say:
    Shown in the photos above are a medium size SmartCarry® security V on the left and a small size SmartCarry® security V on the right.
    The only difference in those two is the size. They are both Security V models.

You can still purchase an ambidextrous model, but it is wider than the one-holster version. I believe the only option for the ambi also includes the security pouch, but I'm not 100% sure.

So the security options now are an ambi dual-holster, a right hand one-holster, or a left hand one-holster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links