Carry options - ankle?

Carry options - ankle?

This is a discussion on Carry options - ankle? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok - so I'm in the process of getting my NC permit. Looking ahead, I'm wondering what options I have for carrying, especially in summer. ...

Carry options - ankle?

Ok - so I'm in the process of getting my NC permit. Looking ahead, I'm wondering what options I have for carrying, especially in summer. I usually (like 99.9% of the time when going out) wear jeans, a t-shirt (tucked), and tennis shoes. Obviously, a shoulder rig won't work for that. Seems to me the best option is an ankle holster.

So does anyone have experience with an ankle holster? It seems to me that it would be more difficult to reach quickly, but given how I dress, I don't see any better choice.

thanks for the input!

cmb

not for me...

I mostly have my shirt tucked in also and went IWB tuckable (I tuck it in tight and then pull out some slack so it hangs, I do this mostly with polos but it does work with t-shirts... wear an undershirt or have a holster with a leather back so the gun doesn't dig into skin)

I never could pull of the ankle thing, may work with jeans and always works with boots. But I don't wear a lot of jeans b/c cargos seem so much lighter, cooler (temperature wise), and more comfortable to me. The main thing I found with ankle is you mentioned it, accesibility when standing, driving a car would be pretty good, but a truck or sitting at dinner that's another thing also. not to mention from the rigs I have seen and tried the ankle holster is meant sit right at the ankle, so your pants must be long and you sock be brought up over the rig near the gun or when you sit you are not real concealed.

Some of this depends upon you pistol choice too...

I use Inside Waist Band between 3 and 4:30 and carry full size 1911 or Kel tec PF9 (with t-shirt this pistol is no prob to conceal) and front pocket carry a KT P32. the belly band thing did not work for me either.

Personally I use 10$ holsters tuckable from ace case, while some here will give me flack I have not had an issue and they are comfortable for me.

VIP Member
    I had considered ankle carry at one time, and it can actually be O.K. for when you are in the car, but it isn't safe for other situations.

Concealed Carry magazine ran a story a couple years back about a man who was stabbed to death while attempting to crouch down to retrieve a weapon from an ankle holster.

I think it is much better to carry a small weapon that you can quickly get to from an IWB or pocket, or maybe belly band.

I have a ankle set up, and have used it a couple times,. But I don't recommend them for single carry. If I was you I would order a "Special Ops" from Pure Kustoms,. You'll pay well for this holster, but you can use it IWB, OWB or even inside the belt - OWB... You will only need to get one holster.. Most people start buying them cheap and keep spending more and more until they end up with a good holster in the long run,. Only after having a drawer full of holsters,. Save yourself the time and get a good one to start with..

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    My son has a friend who is a Fed, and last time he was here in my house he was wearing a G26 in an ankle holster. I was surprised that I did not notice it. His jeans had legs that were not tight, and it concealed well. However, he looked longingly at my Kahr P9 as the G26 loaded is much heavier.

I don't think it would work for me, and I agree with Hopyard that it is better to carry a small weapon that you can quickly get to from an IWB or pocket.
    When I am limited as to the method by dress I carry a KT P3AT in a pocket holster. It always seemed to me that if I needed a gun I would need it faster than I could draw it from an ankle holster.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Concealed Carry magazine ran a story a couple years back about a man who was stabbed to death while attempting to crouch down to retrieve a weapon from an ankle holster.
    Which is what I was thinking about and why I was asking. It just seems rather awkward to grab from there in a hurry.

I'm not really understanding some of this terminology:
    IWB
    OWB
    belly band

I think I get IWB/OWB - inside waist band and outside waist band? But what exactly does that mean? And how does this translate to the position of the gun on my body, and in relation to my shirt & pants?

While it may seem pretty basic to you guys, please remember, I have no knowledge of what these mean, so I would rather be clear than try to guess.

Thanks!

IWB is where you put the holster between you and your pants,. OWB is where you put the holster on the outside of your pants,. The other way is outside your pants, inside your belt.. Not real common in a carry, but there is some that do,.. The most common for CC is IWB and with a good holster and right weapon, you'll soon not think any more about your DC then your Cel phone..

Does that clear it up?

Belly band goes just above your belly with a stretchy material. The weapon is horizontal and you would have to open your shirt or lift it up to get at it,. Better then nothing if that works for you.. Women tend to carry this way more then a man,.. For reasons I'm sure we all understand..

IWB=the holster is stored on inside the waistband. The gun/holster will be in between your body and your jeans. A "tuckable" allows you to tuck in a shirt between the holster and your body, while still keeping the firearm concealed.

OWB=the holster is stored on the outside of the waistband. The holster will be on the outside of your jeans, like you see with a lot of law enforcement.

I am looking into an ankle holster, mostly for work, as I sit at a desk most of the day. However, I have a FIST IWB/Tuckable Holster I bought for occasions outside of work, as well as a FIST pocket holster.

A lot depends on what firearm you plan to carry as well. Some pistols can be easily pocket carried as well (Ruger LCP, KelTec 3AT, NAA Guardian, Kahr PM9, etc.) I think the ankle makes a great secondary option, but I'd like to at least have a IWB holster for other situations.
    Our kindness may be the most persuasive argument for that which we believe.

-Gordon B. Hinckley-

Thanks for the clarifications, guys. The descriptions do match what I was thinking. I was still having some trouble seeing how IWB would work for a tucked shirt, but then I got to "A "tuckable" allows you to tuck in a shirt between the holster and your body, while still keeping the firearm concealed."

This has been quite helpful. Thanks again!

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Very good, but one is off. Tuckable allows tucking of the shirt between the pants and the holster (clips will be attached lower on the holster, forming a place where the shirt can be tucked). Shirt must be untucked in this area before drawing the weapon.

Welcome to DC!
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    If you are sitting somewhere, for whatever reason, or down on your back after being knocked there, an ankle rig is handy at that moment in time. Otherwise, it is likely to be at a disadvantage. An ankle rig is an excellent place for A gun, but is a poor place for one's ONLY gun.

I carry a Ruger SP101 snubby in an Alessi ankle rig about 50 hours a week.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    When I sit down, my pants come half way up my calf as I hitch them up when I sit. I have used an ankle holster for a back up while at a standing security job, but I can't imagine trying to keep it concealed otherwise.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Links