Cowboy Boot Carry

Cowboy Boot Carry

This is a discussion on Cowboy Boot Carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For daytime carry I carry in my boot. I am tall and lean so often an IWB holster sticks out like a sore thumb. That ...

Thread: Cowboy Boot Carry

Cowboy Boot Carry

For daytime carry I carry in my boot. I am tall and lean so often an IWB holster sticks out like a sore thumb. That is why I go with the boot carry. Western jeans are usually a little long and have folds in them where they meet the boot, making buldges that aid in the concealment. Boots are normally loose at the top, the reason for that is if you want to stick your pants inside. More than that, it leaves room for a small pistol. I do not plan to put a 1911 or a full size pistol in my boot, but a small revolver in .38 Special +p will get the job done. Weight is a factor as well. I started out with a Ruger LCP in a holster I got off eBay and it fits fine. I did carry a S&W 442 but have gone to a Ruger LCR, a great shooter. I picked up another holster for it off eBay and it fits great. The pictures show me with the LCR. As I said, weight is a factor, and gravity can make it move further down and cause some irritation on the ankle. This can often be helped by moving it a little to the front or back. Also to help this, I went to the local leather store and purchased a thin piece of leather that would reach from the bottom of my boot to the boot top and placed it between my sock and the pistol. After a day or two it conforms to the shape of your leg and ankle and prevents the holdster/pistol from chaffing. A picture of the LCR in its holster and the piece of leather is shown. It does take longer to draw from the boot, but it is very concealable. OK, now everyone go out and buy some cowboy boots and jeans!
    Attached Images

VIP Member
    Nice setup, I sometimes carry my P3-AT with the belt clip just clipped to the top of the boot.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

i like that setup alot
    "The Beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

"When loss of liberty is looming, as it is now The siren sounds first in the hearts of freedoms vanguard"- Heston
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I've done similar in a pinch and it conceals excelent. I like how you use the extra piece of leather tucked in there.

Unfortunately it's only one step above having no gun at all from an accessability standpoint. In a SHTF situation, I'd be grabbing my knife before asking the bad guy to hold on while I fish the gun out of my boot.

Sometimes, if I'm really worried about my tuckable IWB printing, I'll wear a light western vest
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I've recently done a smiliar thing too. It worked ok, but it is far from comfy after 6 hours.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post

Unfortunately it's only one step above having no gun at all from an accessability standpoint. In a SHTF situation, I'd be grabbing my knife before asking the bad guy to hold on while I fish the gun out of my boot.
    +1
    How fast can you access your LCR inside your boot?

I just put a deposit on an LCR,
    but while I was going over it in the store I slipped the LCR into my jeans back pocket like I used to do with my old 640... the ruger was even better then the S&W, way lighter

Try it.
    PS I like your pickup

Another option might be to wear two pairs of socks and place the holster between the two socks, this would help keep it in place. Just an idea.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

The main thing is to keep it from rubbing the ankle bone. When I wore the boot holster for a LCP, I tied it to the outside boot holes, but as light as it was, it would pull the top of the boot inward, but it took some of the weight off.

That looks like a pocket holster that you are using in a boot right? I am wanting to move to boot carry as well but it seems like you might want a band or something to secure the weapon to your ankle. seems like chaffing could be reduced as the gun is moving with your leg not the boot.

BTW I have read about many many people that have sold their J-frame for an LCR, are they that good? I have handled both at the store and the LCR feels much lighter than the airweight S&W and the trigger is a whole different ballgame. Seems like weight becomes the major factor if planning on ankle carry.
    The Second Amendment ...... Because crime SHOULD be a hazardous occupation.

If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to piss off a liberal, tell him the truth.

I carry a LCR every day in an ankle holster tucked in side my boot. I looks as if you are carrying on the out side of your right leg in a pocket holster. Try using a nylon and Velcro ankle holster attached to the inside of your left leg ( Iím assuming you are right handed) for better drawing angle. When trying to access your firearm fast from this location , lunge your left leg forward and grab the back of your pants about boot top high with your left hand pulling up to access the firearm with your right hand in a cross over motion still moving forward. If you try to pull up your pant leg from the front or side it will bind on the boot. Practice this move several times with an unloaded weapon before going to a outdoor range to get proficient at it.
    Never forget the ones we have lost in the past, but always focus on the future.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Seems like it would be uber difficult to draw when it counts. I assume you have practiced and perfected a way to access your revolver in an emergency situation?

I carry my wallet in my boot.

To add a gun to the other leg would make the "bulges" more symetrical. The problem with boot/ankle carry is accessability, IMO. I'd still want a gun(s) up higher where I could get to them easier.

Biker

RE: inside boot carry

My .357 SP 101 lives in a Galco IWB holster inside the top of the left boot. RH holster inside the left boot. I cut a slot for the clip to anchor to so the holster and revolver stay home with modest activity. It's not fast-draw accessible but if I get into an area where things may get tense, the revolver moves easily to a jacket or pants pocket. If surprised, I fake a heart attack (I'm 65) and "collapse" to my knees, pulling up the left pant-leg as I go down. Yes, I practice the draw. The grip is accessible without having to reach inside the boot, held in the same place all the time by the Galco holster. Being aware of my surroundings has saved me from ever needing it - - yet. It's totally invisible and I don't even feel it. You need to pay attention when buying boots to have a stiff top and enough space for the heater.

Sponsored Links