Defensive Carry banner

Opinions on Don Hume

5K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  redbird 
#1 ·
Hey all, I am looking for an IWB holster for my S&W 340pd. Work is scarce right now so budget is definitely a concern. I've been looking at Don Hume recently. What are your opinions on that company? Which holster would you recommend? I'm thinking about the PCCH or the H715-MSO. Any opinions would be appreciated as well as any alternatives that would fit a tight budget. Thanks!

#4 ·
I own two Don Hume IWB clip holsters - one for a Berretta 92 and one for a 1911. They are good holsters. Very good for the price. Quite honestly, they are nowheres near as good as my IWB El Paso Saddlery holster , but the clip is so convenient, it get used many times more than the EPS. What can I say, I get lazy and the Don Hume is very good.

#7 ·
I tried a Don Hume for my S&W 649 Bodyguard a little while back. I believe it was the H715-MSO. The holster was fine quality and a very fair price but it wasn't a good fit. The revolver just didn't seem to seat deep enough which made the absence of a shield between me and the frame that much more noticiable. I dunno, maybe because it was very new and stiff. I returned it after a couple of days for a full refund, no questions asked.

#8 ·
I have a H715M #36-4" IWB clip that I use for my compact Glocks. Leather and the mouth is reinforced so re-holstering is a bit easier. It's pretty modular, and it's good for the price. Good as in good, better, best. It's an IWB clip holster and tends to move around the waist requiring constant readjustment in my case while doing certain activities. If I were in the market for another OWB holster for around $40 or less, I might go for a Don Hume in that case, but I think there are better holsters for IWB and I seldom use mine but I do use it for a 'quicky'. Not a real fan of the single metal clip holsters unless they are IWB, and sometimes that's even questionable. Don Hume does make other holsters besides the model I have, but I have no experience with those.

Glad you mentioned that.......so I'll add another comment to go along with it if you don't mind. They are not tightly molded as a holster should be since they have specific models for specific pistols. I feel in this case that you can actually wear one of these holsters out in a shorter period of time than a better quality holster. Better than any ballistic nylon holster by far, but that's not saying a whole lot. That is my experience. Would I sell mine to get rid of it? Probably not.......options are always good, and it serves a purpose for me no matter how small.

#9 ·
I have a Don Hume IWB for my 1911 daily carry. Works just dandy for the use that I have for it. It is better than a couple of previous holsters that I had for 1911's. Not as good as some others I have seen (there is no body guard, nor are there the two snaps going over the belt), but easy to put on and fairly comfortable. I would buy one again should I lose this one for some reason. This one will not be going into the "derelict / unused holster box" on top of the safe anytime soon.

#10 ·
I have a PCCH. Great holster. When I ordered, they said it would take 10-12 weeks. Two weeks later it was in the mail. Love my PCCH. :congrats: :3a:

#12 ·
I have a couple of Hume IWBs. I think they are 715s. Personally I would not buy another, but if one is short of cash, and the price of the Hume is acceptable, then go for it.

I doubt you will be satisfied in the long run, but when money gets more plentiful you can go for a better holster.

I am not sure of the comparable price with Fist, but Fist is a much better holster in my experience.

Regards,
Jerry

#14 ·
I have several Don Hume holsters. Fit on any gun has always been good, last well, and prices are good. They have been very helpful on customer service as well. Now, if you want all smoothed out leather and want to pay alot more, go for another holster.

I would recommend them.

#15 ·
Thanks guys for all your input. Another question.....how would you rate Don Hume vs. High Noon vs. Sideguard. I have a High Noon for my Bersa .380 and it works pretty well although it shifts around some which I don't like. Would the two clip idea from Sideguard be worth the extra $$ ? Thanks again for all your wisdom.

#16 ·
I have 2 IWB with the clip for a full size and a 4" 1911. On balance they are a good holster for the money, my 4" fit really well but my full size still needs some work which I will get to do. Don Hume's strength is their pricepoint for a fitted leather holster, more money equals more detail, buy the best you can afford.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.