Cold weather carry suggestions

This is a discussion on Cold weather carry suggestions within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've got a Comp Tac MTAC for my Sig P239 and now that it's broken in, I'm really happy with with its comfort and performance ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold weather carry suggestions

Cold weather carry suggestions

I've got a Comp Tac MTAC for my Sig P239 and now that it's broken in, I'm really happy with with its comfort and performance for summer carry. So now I'm thinking ahead to the fall and winter months here in Michigan and I'm not sure that an IWB holster is the way to go. Clearing a shirt and long jacket seems way too slow and cumbersome.

I'm thinking of an OWB holster set up for crossdraw - something like the Comp Tac Settable Cant: Outside Waistband Holsters - products new home - Settable Cant Holster

But even with this arrangement, I'll still need an untucked shirt to cover the gun when the jacket comes off indoors. So I'm back to clearing a shirt and jacket before drawing the weapon. I guess the jacket would need to be left unzipped which can get pretty uncomfortable on a cold, windy day.

I suppose a carry jacket with built-in pockets is an option also, but this doesn't really work when you come inside and need to take the jacket off.

So, how do you guys deal with cold weather carry in terms of holster and clothing selection?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    I lived in MI last winter and had this issue too. Half the time, I would put my gun into an inside breast pocket...but, obviously, if you do this, you cannot take the jacket off and leave it somewhere. The other half, I had an IWB clip on holster that I used.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

VIP Member
    Since I started carrying IWB, I really don't carry any other way, even in colder months. I may change to a larger gun during the winter, but still prefer IWB carry.

I carry IWB during the summer and OWB during winter. I usually wear a tee shirt, light sweat shirt, and then a coat. When coming inside from the cold, I simply take off my coat and leave my sweater on coving up my XDm OWB. When I am home, everything comes off except for the tee. Everyone I live with know that I carry away!

In FL, my carry is almost always IWB, when visiting IN or MI, I use the same holster and carry style...nothing changes.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

OWB suggestion for a SIG? DeSantis speed scabbard is nice. That's what I use for my P220 in the cold months.

MTAC year round all day everyday.

I never change my carry style no matter which firearm I am carrying always IWB 5 o'clock.

Saint Bernard with a collar holster
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Pure Kustoms Black Ops Pro!

Its the only holster you will ever need. Fully adjustable and its IWB or OWB, simply switch it up with a screwdriver.

When I'm in cold country, I wear IWB as always. Tucked in t-shirt, untucked flannel over the gun, and my coat over that. Then I can remove my coat and still be covered. Why are we talking about this now...it's 113 degrees outside!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Stick with the MTAC- no worrys about taking off your jacket~
    "The Beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

"When loss of liberty is looming, as it is now The siren sounds first in the hearts of freedoms vanguard"- Heston
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Thumbs up

Ditto Avenger, Black ops Pro, So very comfortable, so very adjustable. Makes me feel like a King.

I like ShooterX's reply. I carry IWB during the summer and any other warm days we have here in Minneosta. ShooterX's point for consistency is valid and I have a Don Hume IWB clip holster and an El Paso Saddlery IWB holster that are very good. That all being said, when the weather turns cold and jackets/coats etc. are the rule, I wear a Galco shoulder holster. It is by far my favorite way of carrying year 'round, but weather doesn't always permit me to wear what I need for a shoulder holster.

For what it is worth, I prefer a shoulder holster.

For the 1 day out of the year we wear jackets down here,I don't worry about cold weather carry,cold weather is 55 degrees
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links